Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volvo 760 - 5.3 or 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Volvo 760 - 5.3 or 6.0

I didn't want to make a thread like this because I've seen plenty on here, but I can't decide!

I have a 1989 Volvo 760. I don't want to do a lot of drag racing or anything serious. Just a mild build.

My goal is 300rwhp. I know both motors can easily do that.

I can get a LM7 with 4l60e for around the same price as a LQ9 by itself.

I plan on using the Hooker 8501HKR cast manifolds. Both would get a tune obviously.

So basically... for the savings of getting the 5.3 w/ transmission, I can put that money towards a small cam and some other things. Or go with a stock LQ9.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a 97 v90, so welcome to the v8 brick world.

This is all dependent on your budget. If you don't think there is any chance you'd ever want more power, the aluminum 5.3 and 60e is probably the way to go since you can get them out of a single donor and not have to worry about matching components (which will eat into your budget and time). Also, the lighter block will be a good think if your suspension needs any work. You'll also need to keep in mind that unless you plan on doing a large amount of transmission tunnel work, the 60e is about the only overdrive option that isn't $$$. That being said, there is a large camp of people who will say the 60e is a weak link; others have abused for years with no issues.

From my reading beforehand, it seems the 5.3 starts to lose it's appeal/streetability long before the 6.0 does and unless there were plans to boost the 5.3, I felt I would have to sacrifice streetability and reliability with the 5.3 to get to my level.

My goal was 400whp so I went with a 2007 6.0 LY6 from a silverado and a level 1 60e from performabuilt. If you decide the lq9 is what you want, consider beefing up the 60e to hold a little more power. Peace of mind is worth a lot after you spend the time to do the swap.

You probably wont be able to afford a new set of aftermarket heads for the savings of the included 4l60e that the 6.0 is missing.

I know from other communication and some threads on turbobricks that the 5.3 will need a better cam and intake/TB to get to 300 whp. The 6.0 will come close to that as purchased, and if you bump compression up a bit (the LQ9is already higher compression than LQ4 from the flat pistons so some consideration must be taken for P2V clearance) That will give you all you would really want, and be very responsive and feel like more power around town without tearing into the engine and dealing with swapping much.

Either way, you'll be happy and have a smile on your face. If you can get the 5.3 with 60e and all the necessary wiring and computers in one shot, thats a very tempting time and money saver.

I'll send a friend request to keep up with everything you're doing. Have you found your way to v8volvos.com?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your first goal should be to get it running. The 5.3 with 4L60e should get you there faster and cheaper. If you get bored with the power you can look to upgrade later. For now, some simple bolt on upgrades should tide you over with the 5.3. I would imagine any LS V8 in a Volvo would be pretty fun.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

300rwhp in a perfectly streetable package is a cam/exhaust/tune 5.3L, and it won't kill the 4L60e. With the right cam, you will get your desired 300rwhp and not even have to change from the stock torque converter.

If budget is a concern, then the 5.3/60e combo with a little cam and a tune is all you need for 300rwhp.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you guys, but I didn't want to do a cam swap and headers won't fit so I'm stuck with stock manifolds. I figured instead of spending the money on cam swap and required items for that, I'd just spend a little extra and do the 6.0.

I ended up buying an LQ9 last night. It should still be fun.

Also, now I can call my Volvo a 76.0

Quick Reply: Volvo 760 - 5.3 or 6.0