Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want tap-shift for the LSx Powered Kia Sorento. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want tap-shift for the LSx Powered Kia Sorento. Help?

So the LSx Powered Kia Sorento runs and drives... Its a beast, it snaps necks when it drives by, if any car person is around when i pull into a parking spot i get asked a bunch of questions.
She is down at the moment due to a failure of the Advance Adapters transfer case adapter. They have been no help whatsoever and put the blame on me. However the pictures i have show how paper thin the casting is near the flange and how poor the cast aluminum is.
Anyway.... the Kia had tap-shift from the factory so i have all the wiring for that ready to go.
The transmission is a 6L90e from a 2009 Silverado 2500 HD.
Is there an easy way to run tap shift?
Trans reprogram? Do i need a BCM from a Silverado? Even if i have the bcm i wont be running anything to the BCM but tap shift.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 107 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes you can do it. Yes you will need the BCM (and harness ). I think the truck had a small rocker switch on the column shifter. You will need to re-wire the Kia tap up/tap down (I assume it is on the factory shifter?) with the proper resistor values to send the BCM the correct signals. I have done something very similar to my Econoline build with the factory BCM and a steering wheel from a Malibu with paddle shifters.

There are aftermarket set ups as well but they are pretty pricey.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trozfan
Yes you can do it. Yes you will need the BCM (and harness ). I think the truck had a small rocker switch on the column shifter. You will need to re-wire the Kia tap up/tap down (I assume it is on the factory shifter?) with the proper resistor values to send the BCM the correct signals. I have done something very similar to my Econoline build with the factory BCM and a steering wheel from a Malibu with paddle shifters.

There are aftermarket set ups as well but they are pretty pricey.
Cool... Its good to hear. Sounds pretty simple. The Kia has the tap-shift built into the shifter itself. Its on the console between the seats. Oh... wait.. I found a picture...

The shifter and tap-shift setup for the LSx Powered Kia Sorento

The system has 3 switches. One told the BCM that it was shifted from Drive to Manual mode. The other 2 were for shift up and shift down. There are no resistors built into the shifter unit so it will make that much easier on my end.
Will I be ok with any trucks BCM and harness? I don't know if I can get the one from the exact truck my engine and trans came from. If I DONT need to program the BCM I will be MUCH happier.
I heard there was a way to reprogram the actual transmissions computer to operate off of a directly connected wire to the transmission itself. Anyone know about that?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are working on a stand alone system for tap up/down. No BCM will be needed. It should be a nice simple hookup when done. I have been out of the loop on its production, but I think it just sends a CAN signal to the ECU through the OBD2 port. If you are interested, I will see if I can get more information on it. It should be ready to go in a month or so.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
We are working on a stand alone system for tap up/down. No BCM will be needed. It should be a nice simple hookup when done. I have been out of the loop on its production, but I think it just sends a CAN signal to the ECU through the OBD2 port. If you are interested, I will see if I can get more information on it. It should be ready to go in a month or so.

Yes I am interested. I don't want to sound like the standard internet troll, but price is a deciding factor. Things are pretty tight here after having to pay a second time for my transfer case adapter. This time I had a machinist build me a billet aluminum version that wont break.

Quick Reply: I want tap-shift for the LSx Powered Kia Sorento. Help?