Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial start-up help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial start-up help

So I got everything wired up in my gbody ls swap. Tried to start it and it fires but runs very rough and dies within a second or two. Any throttle and it dies. Seems to smell very rich. I haven't had the computer tuned yet. Just wanted to see if it would fire up before I sent the computer out. The computer is a 2001 and the injectors and fuel rail are a 2005. I assume that the flow rates are different from what the computer is programmed for. I don't know if this would cause the engine not to run...I would think it would run but just run rich. Anyone have experience in this area or any ideas.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its probably the vats security, remove that and rear 2 oxygen sensors.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76larkman
its probably the vats security, remove that and rear 2 oxygen sensors.
I agree , good 1st step
Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Does the VATS stop certain cylinders from firing? After trying to start it, i felt the headers and cylinders 1, 2,4,and 8 were warm to the touch but 3, 5, 6, and 7 were ice cold. Just wondering how the VATS system works. Does it cut spark...fuel?

I plan on sending the computer out to have these removed but just wanted to make sure I dont have any other problems. I bought the engine off craigslist and the guy said it was rebuilt. Ive heard of people putting the reluctor wheel on backwards on the crank. I hope this is not the case... any quick ways to check this? Thanks for the replies!!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Teching In

So an update: checked spark on the non-firing cylinders and checked compression also. both were good. Had injector pulse at the injectors but noticed that the plugs in those cylinders were bone dry. Pulled injectors to check and 3 of the 4 were stuck and only needed a quick clean. the last one was so filled with gum that it took about an hour to clear with brakleen and compressed air. re installed and now firing on all cylinders for the one second until the VATS shuts the injectors off. Sending computer out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love a happy ending.

Looking forward to the burn out video

Quick Reply: Initial start-up help