Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GMC c10 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

if you do decide to sell, it'll go quick. i get notes on my truck once every couple weeks.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't let a few small annoyances drive you down.Hammer down and plow through it,it will all work out...
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the support guys. No slowing down for me, I'm sort of used to set backs. GM tech here, so used to **** not working. No real need to complain yet, nothing cant handle, just some parts issues here and there. Both have been resolved, and worked fine in the end.
Drive shaft has been a pretty big issue stressing me out lately. I wanted a 1 peice shaft. It's 68". Inland trucking can build me a 4" aluminum d/s, for the low cost of $600. Don't feel like spending that much right now. So I called a local j/y for a stock drive shaft from a longbox. With the intent to use stock 2 peice with a hanger bearing, and weld new yolk on transmission side.
I DIDNT NEED TO!! I split old and new shafts at slip yolks, and the front half of the newer shaft slipped right into th old shaft! New hanger bearing has same bolt spacing, and it actually fits like it was designed for the truck! I really was not looking forward to welding a driveshaft. I have a lot of other stuff to get done.

Exhaust work gets done tomorrow. Headers are already on, and down pipes have the 02 sensors in, so he can get everything where he wants it so it's accessible and fits well. Y'ing the exhaust into a single 3" pipe and a cheap eBay muffler and exit in front of passenger rear wheel. He didn't want to bend 3" too tight over rear axle with his crush bender, it just crushes too much, down to like 2.5". So well 45* it out the side. Shouldn't crush too much. Then when I go turbo, I only have to change a little bit of exhaust work.
Tranny dipstick came in today too.

Also got the trans tunnel cut minimally as needed and fitted back into cab. Left the bolts at the dealer ship where I tok it apart at. So I will bring the bolts home tomorrow, and some body sealer and bolt it back in and seal it well. And re seal up a few spots of the cab where I know it needs. The less fumes, and noise in the cab is better for me. The wifey will appreciate it too.
Picked up some middle row suburban leather bucket seats from the sales dept cheap too. Non sliding, but probably don't need to move it in here anyways. Need to chop the frames 2.5 inches down. Sits a little high for my taste. and then get a center council with cupholders.

Still may sell the truck when it's done, but not cuz I'm upset. I normally buy and sell a couple each summer. This may be a good money maker to the right person. Hell, Richard rawlings would try to sell it for 20k haha. Id like to get a car, something for me, the woman, and both our boys. (1.5, and 5)
The 5 year old is starting to get pretty smart. He gets a little upset when I sell stuff now. He gets "attached" and loves to help with them, and especially do burn outs! and cruise around. He's only upset untill the next car comes home, and he loves them better then the last. Then tells me it's ok. But, YOU CANT SELL THIS ONE. Makes me promise every time. I tell him I can't promise nothing, it's going to get sold.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Well got a few more things done. Put the new vent visors on. Got Sears in temporaraly. Will have to cut a couple inches out of seat frames. Sit pretty high. Would also like to take a few inches out of steering column.
Got from clip back on last night. Pia by myself.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

nice man, you're almost there.

reminds me I gotta call my buddy up and get him to help put my hood on
Old 03-20-2016, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Well it went to the exhaust shop. I had a lad minute change of plans so it's not finished. Was going to run it behind passenger tire with a rolled edge 4" tip. Decided to do a bit different. I am going side exit through box side. I ordered a through body exhaust "tip", a small flex pipe, and a 90' mandrel bent 3" pipe. We ran it all the way to where we need it to bend out. So it should go ok to finish myself. At least I have enough to run the truck though.
Talked to the guy with my harness today. Doubt it will be here before the end of the month. Hasn't started it and "thinks" he will do it next weekend.
I got the radiator mounted. Had a friend at the welding shop bend me up a top radiator bracket out of aluminum. Mounted the trans cooler, and ran the lines. Still need to mount both the cooling fans. Those stupid zip tie like mounting systems suck. At least the cheap eBay ones do ths t came with. The Hayden ones with the trans cooler had a much better "nut".
Also started on the fuel system today. Well I got the pump and filter mounted to a peice of steel. And drilled the frame to bolt it to. Need to do some reading on this return system. I have th e corvette style filter, but I Also have a return on the rail. Can I just run a "T" to the tank or will that not work?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That doesn't look like the vette filter/regulator,the C5 unit has an inlet and return on one end and the outlet on the other.If you have a return style rail just run a return line back to the tank.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Teching In

It's hard to see in the picture, the return nipple is behind the inlet hose from the pump. Just mounted it under the truck now, and am running steel line. Will get pictures later.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Love the look of these old trucks. Can't wait to see it completed!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Well it ran and drove on the fuel injector flush setup. Took it down a few streets. Seems to run good and pulls hard. Trans seems to be ok, haven't gotten on it too much yet to see if its going to slip or hold.

Got a pair of nice seats out of a later s10. Cloth, no power. Easy install. Center council is out of a mid '90's 1ton dually Chevy. Want to dye it but don't want it to peel. I think it would be better grey like the seats. And I'm going to order a car per kit also.

I finished the exhaust for now. It's has a nice deep tone and wakes up when you step on it. I'm going to hate the drone I already know. So that will also be changed. I know the sound I want, but not sure how to achieve it yet. Ill get a few links to what I'd like, and maybe someone here can help. I was looking at the black widow venom. A couple of the vehicles with that exh sound perfect, then a couple with the same 250 sounded like crap to me.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Kid was out tonight helping me put a couple body panels on, and cleaning up the garage a bit.

Trying to decide on a cam. I am actually kind of dissapointed in the power it has. It's ok around town, but on the highway, no way! I gotta have a bit more then that. Granted I am not on the nitrous yet, but I don't always want it on that either unless I really need a kick in the pants.
I emailed Comp Cams, and Lunati. No response yet from Comp.
Lunati recommended a 60513.
Duration @ .050 217/223
Valve lift .549/549
Lsa/icl 113/109
1800-6400 rpm
Reading online at cams, I was thinking something slightly larger like a comp cams 224/228.
Only mods are a set of headers, cold air intake. I WILL be upgrading valve springs for at least .600 lift. Possibly push rods too if needed. Heads are stock, May do a home port job.
No stall converter yet.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Teching In

'

Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Coming along way. I see the plate on your truck is a North Dakota plate. You live in the great state?

Quick Reply: 66 GMC c10 build