Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions before i start again

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for opinions before i start again

Right at 9 years ago i got a wild hair and thought, i want a chevelle again and want to put something different in it. I set out looking to purchase a 70-72 chevelle and also looking into LS motors.
After a few months, I found a 71 Chevelle online, looked at all the pictures and asked lots of questions prior to placing bid. I won the car for a decent price, so set off driving after the car a few hours away. Once I arrived, I found quite a few unpictured and untold problems, but the car by this time was bought and paid for. I left with the car but after the trailer ride home, she began to show the cars "hidden" issues. In the end i have replaced both quarters, hood, full trunk, inner and outer wheelwells and the roof skin. At least most of the rest of the car is in great shape.
About a year later i found a wrecked 02 Trans Am 15 minutes from my house for sale for my LS swap. The engine and trans have 58k miles, and since then i have sold much of the decent leftover pieces that i didnt need for extra cash.
Fast forward 8 years...Lost my job, moved, new job, built a shop and now getting ready to start the project over.

Now for the opinions:
-Keep the LS1 i bought 8 years ago
-Sell the LS1 and save some more to buy LS3 pullout
-Sell the LS1 and save some more to buy crate LS3
-Sell the LS1 and buy 5.3
-Sell the LS1 and save for LT1

My random thoughts:
I hate to think of starting off this build with "old" tech of LS1 when LS3 are out now and in the end i will want to step up to bigger engine at some point down the road anyway. I have thought about adding turbo at some point in cars career, so should that play any parts into my decisions? Is worrying about an extra 29 cubic inches wasting my time?

Next set of opinions will be injection setup to use.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only used the GEN IV stuff. I am told by the tuner that the increased resolution and enhancements make a huge difference. Don't know, just what I am told.

However, as a counselor, I see a pattern. You use the words "sell the LS1" 4:1 over keep it. Even in your narrative, you express disappointment in the old technology of the LS1.

You would be disappointed to get it done, and wish you had something else.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Launching!

My opinion....

Will using the ls1 get it done faster? If so just use it and get it running. If you decide that's not enough all you would need is a new harness and motor and you'll easily be able to sell your ls1/harness/pcm.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Yes, the LS1 would get me moving faster... already own it and extra parts for it. Moving to LS3 would require selling and raising extra cash to get back where im at now.
After listening to that and thinking about it, i believe thats the best way to keep moving. Its been slow the past few years anyway so a big step back might not be the best for the project.

So.. Staying with LS1.
Stock harness, PCM or aftermarket?
I have a set of 243 heads and would add cam. Would aftermarket PCM work for both LS1 and LS3?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I side with casias, if the LS1 really hit your hot button you would have this project completed by now. If you want the LS3 do it. One of my old mentors has a slogan "there is never enough money to do it right, but always enough to do it twice." Yes, happiness has a price.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i think you should write down your horsepower goals and your budget. then fill in the blanks to see which one gets you there. however if money is little object, go with your gut.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions before i start again