Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petro's ERL Superdeck 427 w/ Whipple 2.9L

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the radio contol buttons apart and my electrical engineer friend is going to build a multiplexer (whatever that is) with relays etc so that I can use the buttons to operate trans brake, line lock etc. He said that he could program it to operate whatever function with any single, combination, or sequence of buttons pressed to arm and engage etc whatever I want. The need for the multiplexer is because the wires for both sides come together into a 4 pin connector that connects to the 4 pin clockspring connector. Otherwise if it were 2 wires per button then I could wire like a normal button would be. Now to figure out how to relabel the buttons and look OEM.

Name:  image_zpstxzcthrq.jpeg
Views: 762
Size:  199.9 KB

Name:  image_zpsknsjrsiv.jpeg
Views: 773
Size:  249.4 KB
Old 04-22-2016, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The old multiplexer. Yeah, that should work.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is one sick build! I'm also going with a whipple 2.9 on my cutlass . I was wondering what you were going with for a reservour? Looking for some ideas .
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyg
This is one sick build! I'm also going with a whipple 2.9 on my cutlass . I was wondering what you were going with for a reservour? Looking for some ideas .
Thanks. I think for the reservoir I'll use a Canton for a Cobra Mustang and modify it to fit if need be.

I've been brainstorming and messing around with trying to make a stock S10 gauge cluster read over 100mph. The idea was to use a Canadian KPH cluster and convert the 180kph to 180mph but the logic board in the cluster wasn't allowing the converted signal to work.(I used a special kph to mph convertor box) Bravada edition gauge clusters go to 120mph whereas all other S10 platform clusters only go to 100mph. The problem with the Bravada cluster is there is no PRND321 display as the Bravada is a floor shift and has the indicator in the console. Anywho I happened upon this hybrid gauge cluster that is Canadian (KPA vs PSI and C* vs F*) on everything but the speedometer. What's special is that it goes to 120mph and has the PRND321 display as well.

Bravada cluster. (120mph speedo but no PRND321 display)

Name:  image_zps20ajrq1m.jpeg
Views: 796
Size:  92.4 KB

Canadian cluster (KPA and C* but 180kph speedo)

Weird hybrid Canadian Bravda cluster that's OEM (KPA and C* but 120mph speedo and PRND321 display)

Name:  image_zpslyszjqof.jpeg
Views: 759
Size:  94.5 KB
Old 04-26-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

This company makes cleaner gauge faces. These aren't overlays and actually replace the factory face completely. I know he could make a new face to say F* and PSI.

Blackcatcustom.com

Notice how the MPH area and RPM area are cleaner looking without all the extra stuff that OEM has. (I like the symbols for the fuel on the Canadian cluster more than the US version)

Name:  image_zps0etoqfwu.jpeg
Views: 729
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I tried modifying a Bravada edition HVAC control control **** to work on the headlight switch. Normal S10, Silverado style HVAC/Headlight control **** on the left. Bravada HVAC control **** on the right. The headlight **** has a very different backside than the HVAC control **** though.

Name:  IMG_3980_zpsllt4cmkg.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3981_zpsmocwqaso.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  207.8 KB

So my little experiment to make the Bravada **** work on the headlight switch didn't work out. I spent way too much time messing with it too. I do still have ideas for a 3D printer though. I found out that 2000-2002 Escalades used a different style **** on the HVAC controls and headlight switch. ( The Bravada and Escalade are the only two models I currently know of that used different style ***** and had blue inserts for the indicators as well) Since the Escalade had a matching **** for the headlight switch it was a no brainer. Why did they have to make the part it slips onto so different and the recessed area a smaller diameter than the HVAC ***** we'll never know. The Escalade dimmer switch and dome override buttons are also darker in color than all others I know of as well.

Bravada ***** top Escalade bottom

Name:  image_zpsgziowrqn.jpeg
Views: 750
Size:  348.3 KB

Escalade left and right is lighter grey like all other S10s , Silverados etc of the time

Name:  image_zpsqw2fznmt.jpeg
Views: 758
Size:  252.8 KB

Name:  image_zpseeux5kxi.jpeg
Views: 765
Size:  207.5 KB

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 04-26-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Description
Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current Pedals (Trailblazer,SSR,etc DBW Gas Pedal)

Name:  Mod_TBThrottlepedalassy_2_zpsqakcryev.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  587.8 KB

Name:  0e0fccf7-e25b-43c7-9b07-4e13436725a9_zpsozhsu520.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  150.7 KB

Lokar Midnight Pedals

This gas pedal is made for the CTSV DBW pedal. Both the CTSV and Trailblazer have identical looking modules but the pedal arm is slightly different between the two. I think the pedal will fit on my Trailblazer pedal arm with slight modification.

And of course a matching brake and e-brake pedals that'll look like this minus the clutch pedal.

Name:  image_zpslmsiuj1d.jpeg
Views: 746
Size:  153.9 KB[/QUOTE]
Great work so far! I'll be using a CTSV pedal and TAC module on my swap. Great find on those pedals! What model brake and clutch pedal will you be using? I didn't think the DBW pedals were interchangeable though?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by North*power

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
This gas pedal is made for the CTSV DBW pedal. Both the CTSV and Trailblazer have identical looking modules but the pedal arm is slightly different between the two. I think the pedal will fit on my Trailblazer pedal arm with slight modification.
Great work so far! I'll be using a CTSV pedal and TAC module on my swap. Great find on those pedals! What model brake and clutch pedal will you be using? I didn't think the DBW pedals were interchangeable though?
Thank you and correct to my knowledge the DBW pedals are OS specific. The CTS-V looks exactly the same as my TBSS pedal except for the pedal arm. I will modify my TBSS pedal arm to be able to fit the Lokar CTS-V pedal. It shouldn't be difficult.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Computer Climate Control baby!!!! And I'll be damned if I didn't drop one actuator when leaving. Gonna go back tomorrow and see if it's still there.

If you haven't caught on the goal for the build is to have OEM looks, reliability, with small custom touches. I want the engine bay to look sorta OEM even with the Whipple and Wegner front drive (which should be here Thursday!!!). The interior will have small custom touches that don't jump out at you. The exterior will be the same. With hopes of pushing 850+ RWHP on E85.

Name:  image_zps97khqsol.jpeg
Views: 746
Size:  272.9 KB

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 05-02-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

The Lokar pedals arrived today. Still waiting on the gas pedal (XDBW-6200). Their technical department was of no help and dude smarted off to me. Clayton didn't return my phone call so went out on a limb and bought these.

XBAG-6005 Brake Pad 3"x2"
XBAG-6088 E-Brake Pad for full size trucks

It's going to take some slight fabrication to make these work fit and finish wise. But I'm pleased with how close they are fitting as is.

Name:  image_zpszp5gvqib.jpeg
Size:  290.9 KB

Name:  image_zpsvfwcccvj.jpeg
Size:  249.5 KB

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 05-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

In line with changing the HVAC and headlight control ***** out to the cleaner looking Black Escalade versions I will be swapping the grey window switch buttons and grey door locks out for black ones as well. To include the steering wheel buttons. Now to just find some!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

While tracing wiring for the Computer Climate Control I realized the harness I pulled from the Bravada was missing the connector for the resistor thing that bolts onto the engine bay A/C / Heater Box. So I looked at some pictures online and realized that the Bravada is totally different. So now I need to pull the box and extra little electrical stuff off a Bravada. Only thing is it would be really hard to do with the engine in so I dunno how I'm going to make this happen unless I find one with the engine pulled.

Here's pics on mine.

Notice how it dips down then comes back up around the blower

Name:  image_zpsvxn4p1ch.jpeg
Views: 749
Size:  221.1 KB

My box also has this resistor thing and the Bravada just has a block off plate

Name:  image_zps9jhqzcyb.jpeg
Views: 771
Size:  177.9 KB

Bravada:

Has block off plate in place of the resistor thing and doesn't dip down around the blower. It stays straight and has some sort of electrical box bolted onto the front part which is why it doesn't dip down.

Name:  image_zpsdpjibmny.jpeg
Views: 806
Size:  208.9 KB
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

The Wegner Front Drive kit arrived!!!

Name:  image_zpsoubdpylj.jpeg
Views: 784
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  image_zpsv75mqnla.jpeg
Views: 809
Size:  173.3 KB
Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
The Lokar pedals arrived today. Still waiting on the gas pedal (XDBW-6200). Their technical department was of no help and dude smarted off to me. Clayton didn't return my phone call so went out on a limb and bought these.

XBAG-6005 Brake Pad 3"x2"
XBAG-6088 E-Brake Pad for full size trucks

It's going to take some slight fabrication to make these work fit and finish wise. But I'm pleased with how close they are fitting as is.

Really digging those pedals! Which pedal would you go with if you were running a T56? Same as E-brake pedal? What will you have to do to make them fit? On a side note I'm still trying to locate a non A/C heater box for my swap, have you seen any at the yards near you? It's a 2000 S10. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

What are the dimensions of the brake and clutch pedal on the manual version with the rubber pads removed? To make them fit I'm going to cut the metal pedal off the pedal arm and have one fabbed up then weld it back to the pedal arm so the Lokar pedal will mount flush. The e-brake pedal will need a small piece welded or bolted on so the Lokar pedal will be able to mount to it. I haven't seen any non a/c boxes but I'll keep a eye out.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

I know some of these updates aren't very thrilling but once assembly begins it'll get better. I'll be collecting parts for at least another 8-10 months.

Scored these black door locks though. IMO they look a little more classy than the grey ones. All GM ones were grey and aftermarket makes reproduction ones that are black. The window switches I can get off a GM vehicle like a Tahoe from that year as they were black from factory but S10/Blazers were all grey.

Name:  image_zpszzov6rjh.jpeg
Views: 727
Size:  129.8 KB
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

The seats will look better once they get recovered in leather.

Name:  image_zpspvqwj8yz.jpeg
Views: 745
Size:  314.3 KB

First shirt made...next one will have a rendering of the truck on the back

Name:  image_zpsnshxlhqu.jpeg
Views: 760
Size:  187.7 KB

Name:  image_zpskos1ugop.jpeg
Views: 753
Size:  126.7 KB
Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I so look forward to doing one of these events with the truck. Hopefully I can go as fast if not faster than this truck:
You can see his front end lifting as he gets further down the strip. I hope to mitigate that and keep the nose down more so.

http://www.chevytv.com/gmc-syclone-w...x-is-a-psycho/

This stinking pedal is giving me a hell of a time test fitting it. The mounting bracket is temporary and will be made with thicker aluminum plate.

Name:  image_zpszynjxrjl.jpeg
Views: 730
Size:  157.6 KB
Old 05-27-2016, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

For whatever reason I never tested the power leather seats I got out a Bravada a long time ago so I tested them this evening and it's going to be nice to have a 8 way adjustable drivers seat. The passenger is manual it with electric lumbar. The last Bravada I got stuff off of at the yard had a full power passenger seat and I should've gotten it.

I got taillight tint film for $5 to see how the red looked in person before doing anything more permanent on them. Not bad but I'm thinking of doing he truck in a color similar to my Silverado (pewter/silver) so the way they are without the red tint may look good that way as well. Thoughts?

I just slapped the film on there so don't mind the sloppy job

Name:  image_zpseedgmvbl.jpeg
Size:  330.4 KB

Name:  image_zpsuftyd8ni.jpeg
Views: 755
Size:  685.0 KB

Name:  image_zpsgds7346t.jpeg
Views: 742
Size:  282.0 KB

Name:  image_zps9obdpeit.jpeg
Views: 756
Size:  291.7 KB
Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

And instead of buying the supercharger in two more weeks as planned I ended buying this classic! It'll sit for now and S10 funds will be back in another couple of months.

I got the homemade rear bumper off today. I had to grind the bolt heads off and pound them through. Thing weighs like 150+lbs. I should've measured how much the *** end lifted up afterwards. Now I'm trying to cut this fugly front bumper and winch deal off it. Need more cutting discs.

Name:  image_zpsyx2luqrb.jpeg
Views: 761
Size:  235.6 KB

Name:  image_zpsxksngw3a.jpeg
Views: 773
Size:  260.6 KB

Name:  image_zpsvmjn3moa.jpeg
Views: 809
Size:  373.7 KB

Quick Reply: Petro's ERL Superdeck 427 w/ Whipple 2.9L