Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 starts then dies

Hi everyone I have a 6.0 out of a 2003 2500 and I'm swapping it into my c10. Anyways the engine will start but stumbles a little unless I hold the gas peddle all the way down and I can hear it idle up a bit then it dies, but as soon as it starts I have to do that. Before it did this it would start then die so I thought a vacuum leak of some sort so I checked all ports and made sure they was tight. Then I just went ahead and replaced the throttle body gasket and intake gasket so that's when it would start then I would have to hold the gas peddle then it would die. It does have a new gas peddle and tac module and harness and I know the engine harness is fine because the guy that made it a standalone harness showed me it running with another engine for about 5 minuets. Right now the fuel supply is a walboro 255 pump and nothing else no filter or anything just to make sure it runs. The only thing I haven't changed is the fuel press. regulator. And after running I don't see any fuel coming out. And just so yall know the fuel return is block off could that be the problem? I would like to know what the problem is before the rest of the body is on it due to easy access. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Why do you have the fuel return blocked off? You can't dead head a pump and expect it to work. By hooking things up wrong you're only causing yourself problems that might not be there otherwise.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

You will kill that pump quickly, possibly kill injectors, and are almost certainly way overfueling the motor! I bet it's got at least double the fuel pressure it's supposed to have and if you burst a hose it's going to be ugly. Hook it up correctly!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:24 AM
Teching In

I have it setup this way just long enough to see if there is anything wrong with engine plus I've seen people on YouTube that run fuel in the test port with a pressurized fuel injector cleaner kit and just loop the 2 fuel fittings. I'm not leaving it like this while on the street. Plus I won't bust a hose I have 2500 psi stainless steel hose with AN fittings I also don't have AN fittings a stainless steel line for the return yet so I just blocked it off.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I kind of get why you did what you did, but the fact of the matter is it isn't going to run that way. Since you just want to hear the engine run, then just rig up a temporary return line to whatever youre using for a fuel tank.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Okay so basically that's my problem. That's all I needed to know. I appreciate it and when I get my next check I'll actually install filters and a return to a fuel cell I have

Quick Reply: 6.0 starts then dies