Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies

I tired to pull the cutlass out today for first time. It runs and idles fine, it idles at about 550-600. But when u hit the throttle it will Rev but as soon as u get off the throttle, it will idle down and die. Couldn't make it out of drive way. It would die right after any gas was given.? Where should I be looking at?

I got a basic tune from lt1swap to get running. Car is 5.3, ls6 heads milled 58cc, titan 02 cam motion cam, ls6 intake, 4l80e, 3200 circle d stall, ford 8.8 3.73. Could it be I need to tune? And if so I don't want to do dyno yet until I brake in the rear?

Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It's the tune causing it. You will need to have it tuned.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1964SS
It's the tune causing it. You will need to have it tuned.
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking that. I was going to double check everything today, look for vacuum leaks and check fuel pressure although I think I'm fine. I revved it to like 4500 rpm fine and it dies when u get off throttle it just bogs down. Would a mail and order tune from Texas speed be fine? I don't want to go on a dyno yet till like 1k miles
Old 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't pay for a mail order. It will more then likely be way off again. If you know someone with HP tuners they can probably do a basic tune without the dyno. You don't want to dyno it do to the rear end being rebuilt? I wouldn't worry about that at all. If it was setup right you will not have any issues. I've setup rear ends and gone racing the next day. Nothing to worry about.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was worried about the rear end. So I shouldn't bother with a mail-order tune? I would have at least thought it would have ran with the cam swap enough to take it to the tuner
Old 06-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Do double checked everything, no vacuum leaks and fuel pressure is good. I was able to drive around today. You just have to two foot it. Feed it gas to keep idle up when u slow down or stop and it won't die. So I'm sure it all in the tune. I'm thinking of driving two footing it for like 200 miles on rear them taking it to dyno and skipping mail order tune

Quick Reply: Engine dies