Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 68-72 A-Body Swap System Measurements Needed - Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hooker 68-72 A-Body Swap System Measurements Needed - Monte Carlo

I'm looking to swap an LQ4 into a 1971 Monte Carlo, and was wondering if I could get the following measurements from anybody that has used the forward mounts:
-Distance from a frame mount hole (or firewall) to the front of the PS pulley (when using the truck FEAD)
-Distance from a frame mount hole (or firewall) to the rear of the engine crossmember

From what I'm reading, the Monte Carlo has the frame mounts in the same location as far as distance from the firewall but the entire crossmember/suspension/steering is placed forward. I want to make sure that I'm not going to be sending the PS pulley (even a smaller diameter) into my steering box, and that I'll have clearance for the oil pan (though with the mounts being placed farther back this shouldn't be an issue).

I know that there are ways around the clearance issues for the FEAD, but I would rather avoid buying aftermarket brackets and pumps to move the assembly up and center. The LSx posts on FGMC are either questions on the swap itself or old enough that the Hooker system wasn't around.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For reference, this is what I currently have for position, measurements, and clearance:
Firewall to center of stock frame stand: ~19.25"
Center of frame stand to rear cap bolt on Jeep Saginaw box: ~13.5"

Name:  IMG_20160626_173915144_zps5pzdkm90.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  178.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20160626_173233587_zpsrb4plglp.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  226.9 KB

I believe that I will have clearance looking at the photos posted for power steering clearance on a Chevelle. For clarification, the Monte Carlo mounts interchange with the Chevelle mounts, but they are flipped to move the engine to the back of the moved crossmember. Because of this, measurements from frame mounting holes would not be accurate for a true comparison between the cars for clearance.

Looking at photos of the Holley mounts, I would run into some issues no matter what. The stock length mounts, in the normal orientation, would only be able to be supported by the three stock frame stand holes. The fourth hole could be used if it is flipped around. Both mounts would hang over the back of the crossmember, unless they are flipped around. Flipped around, I have no idea where they would leave the engine/transmission mounting plane compared to stock. Looking at the photos of the mounts side by side, the position B mounts, flipped around, would probably bring the engine too far forward but the position A mounts may work depending on measurements.

Last edited by blackhawkMC; 06-27-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Hooker 68-72 A-Body Swap System Measurements Needed - Monte Carlo