Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in a 78 C10 - California Smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx in a 78 C10 - California Smog

Looking for help and advice as i get a parts list together and find a donor engine/vehicle.

My biggest concerns are what engine to get. From my understanding it needs to come from another light duty truck. (is a escalade or a 1500hd "light")
I'd like to put in a 6.0 but not sure that that was in a vehicle that will be legal. It seems i also need to check the engine vin and ECM to be sure it matches and comes from the vehicle the seller says it does.

Tips on years, vehicles for the engine choice?

From my reading the gas tank is the next major obstacle. The 78 c10 has two side tanks. Will moving to a later c10 tank that has TBI help here?

What else am I missing? Ive never done a motor swap, is this something I can do?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

If you want a 6.0L, The SS Silverado And the GMC Sierra Denali had the LQ9 6.0L in it. The early Sierra C3 trucks used an LQ4.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you can put a tbi pump assembly and sending unit in the older tanks. i bought the cheapest one on rock auto and put a walbro 450 on it.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by truckdoug
you can put a tbi pump assembly and sending unit in the older tanks. i bought the cheapest one on rock auto and put a walbro 450 on it.
I assume you mean like this
http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19180

but will that solve the evap system and tank pressurization problems for SMOG?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use any of the engines from a car or light/med duty truck/SUV as long as it is newer that your project car/truck. You will need to use all of the donor's Smog equipment.

This is what Cal's DMV rules state, has a lot to be understood and a lot that can be misinterpreted. Event the States Refer's are not on the same page from shop to shop. Best to find a Ref and talk to he about what your doing and what he thinks is needed.
If you don't like what he said, find another one to work with.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html

You can use any tank as long as the ECM/PCU gets the inputs it needs (pressure, etc), easies way is to use the donor sender. Can be adapted to any tank (if it fits).

Where are you located ? north or south ?

BC
Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 PM

South, San Diego, in the city so im guessing some of the strictest refs
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Teching In

The evap system on the tank will be the hardest part to work out.I would find some kind of modern GM tank that has the pressure sensor mounted+pump mounted in it.Then build mounts for it to go under the bed .Everything that was on the original engine has to be installed and it cant have any trouble codes or check engine light on when it goes to the ref.I used to have a Cali smog license so I know how the systems work.The ecm runs tests while you are driving.1 of the tests is to use engine vacuem to evap the tank and to check to see that it holds vacuem.The pressure sensor on the tank looks like a map sensor-it might be.

Quick Reply: LSx in a 78 C10 - California Smog