Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1" set back plates work with ac

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1" set back plates work with ac

Installing 5.3l in 82 g body, monte carlo.
Bought some 1" set back plates.
Looks like clearance issue with the ac bracket. Do i have these plates orientated right? Do i notch the ac?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Looks like you have it right, I used different mounts and accessories but I did have to trim the ac bracket. I also had to notch the frame on my S-10 and they are similar to the G-bodies.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has always been a problem with these adapter plates of this design. Even with 1" setback.. it will not clear (mostly). The plate is still in the same location with the forward end of the plate extended 1" to mount the engine mount doesn't help clear the AC Compressor.

This was worked around by using the older BRP Hot Rod type of plate, which required you to move the frame stand forward so you could use the AC Compressor in the stock location. This would clear the Plate and Mount. I used this on my Chevelle 10+ years ago.

Name:  LS1_motor_mount_plate_V2_zpswdpho1qd.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  26.9 KB

When I was putting my swap in and wanted to try putting the stock LS1 Compressor in, I made a duel pattern plate with the standard and the older BRP plate... I tried both, I ended up using the BRP pattern and cutting off the forward end of the Standard plate so the Compressor would clear. You do have to notch your frame on most to clear the compressor.

Name:  DCP_3368.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  DCP_3513.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  25.9 KB

Hope this helps..

BC
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my swap I used the dirty dingo double d motor mount plates and moved the motor mount back in a different set of holes. Then moved the mount perches on the frame back the same amount as i moved the mounts back and notched the AC bracket. Everything clears nicely.

Hope this helps I have more pictures on my pc at home if you need or want.

Quick Reply: 1" set back plates work with ac