Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Chevelle LS2: best way to get a/c working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 71 Chevelle LS2: best way to get a/c working?

I am completely a/c ignorant. I removed the stock chevelle a/c system prior to the engine swap but kept all the old parts. There was something wrong with the stock stuff as it was freezing the line near the evaporator.

I also have an LS compressor and bracket but I don't recall if it is for Fbody or Corvette accessories. Either way I prefer to use a stock LS type bracket and compressor so I can round up what I need there. The car has Corvette accessories and a Powerbond underdrive pulley.

I have all the old chevelle parts, but it's my understanding it might be better to change to evaportator out for one meant for a newer system that doesn't use a POA valve. Someone in a thread mentioned a 3rd gen camaro condensor?

Might need to have lines made to join the older system to new compressor, this can be done locally I'm 99% sure.

I'm using a 0411 LS1 PCM and factory harness. Fairly certain the a/c section of the harness is in tact, if not I could repair it.

So I guess I just really need to know what is the best/easiest way to get this stuff working? I'm reading a lot of conflicting opinions on using full stock chevelle stuff aside from the compressor or mixing and matching parts and it's making this seem way more complicated than I think it should be.

Any insight or point me to some reading that's more straightforward?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I am completely a/c ignorant. I removed the stock chevelle a/c system prior to the engine swap but kept all the old parts. There was something wrong with the stock stuff as it was freezing the line near the evaporator.

I also have an LS compressor and bracket but I don't recall if it is for Fbody or Corvette accessories. Either way I prefer to use a stock LS type bracket and compressor so I can round up what I need there. The car has Corvette accessories and a Powerbond underdrive pulley.

I have all the old chevelle parts, but it's my understanding it might be better to change to evaportator out for one meant for a newer system that doesn't use a POA valve. Someone in a thread mentioned a 3rd gen camaro condensor?

Might need to have lines made to join the older system to new compressor, this can be done locally I'm 99% sure.

I'm using a 0411 LS1 PCM and factory harness. Fairly certain the a/c section of the harness is in tact, if not I could repair it.

So I guess I just really need to know what is the best/easiest way to get this stuff working? I'm reading a lot of conflicting opinions on using full stock chevelle stuff aside from the compressor or mixing and matching parts and it's making this seem way more complicated than I think it should be.

Any insight or point me to some reading that's more straightforward?
You'll need to use a fixed displacement compressor, so that means a truck compressor as-is, or a F-body or Corvette compressor that has had its displacement valve removed and modified to lock-out variable functionality. Converting to an orofice tube/accumulator configuration would simplify the system greatly.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Are all the ls compressors interchangeable in the bracket?

Like, could I just get a truck compressor and install it into the Corvette bracket?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Are all the ls compressors interchangeable in the bracket?

Like, could I just get a truck compressor and install it into the Corvette bracket?
No, they each use their own specific bracket and install at different fore/aft offsets to match the accessory drive.

Quick Reply: 71 Chevelle LS2: best way to get a/c working?