Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 5 years the 1963 Econoline Hip-E-Van breathes for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 107 Likes on 45 Posts

Default After 5 years the 1963 Econoline Hip-E-Van breathes for the first time!

I bought my 4.8/6L80E combo with 468 miles on it out of a 2010 Express van back in early 2011. I got the engine installed within a month, but then started focusing on all the fab work. And then life and motivation take it's toll. I am now over 600 hours of labor in my build-most of it fab work. I got far enough along that I wouldn't be welding around the engine/fuel system/etc. anymore, so I decided to get it running. Well- I finally fired it up for the first time last night. Very exciting. Has 45 oil pressure at idle. Sounds good with open exhaust. I do have the factory CATs with both pre and post sensors. I will install an X pipe with cutouts and Borla mufflers.

Here are some highlights:

- The combo was complete with ECM and factory harness
- I bought a BCM from another van on eBay
- I bought gauges from yet another van on eBay
- I bought a factory ignition switch (with PassKey 3) from YET another van
- Bought a BCM harness from a junkyard
- Bought a factory Malibu steering wheel and column so I can use the paddle shifters for the 6L80E (will need to change the resistance of the switches to match the Express van values)
- Wired everything up myself with all the proper fusing on every circuit (over 40 circuits just for the ECM/TCM/BCM, haven't even started headlights; taillights; radio; power windows/locks; etc.)

I was worried about everything talking to each other. Upon initial turn of the key the security light came on the gauges and stayed on. I went through the new key learn (which I think is the same process as a new BCM security learn). And amazingly it worked perfectly. I will still get the Passkey tuned out when I finally go get it tuned, but for now it is working correctly with all of the factory modules.

I have a few issues that are minor:

- Fuel leaks. I bought nice and expensive pre-made Fragola PTFE hoses with 6AN ends on them. I had 3 leaks originally, but I am now down to 2. 1 is leaking from the backside of the Fragola fitting and the other is either leaking from the backside or where it meets my AN to NPT fitting at my in-tank fuel pump. I have 2 new replacements on the way from Summit. (6 days before my 90 day warranty was up!)

- I have the wrong DBW pedal. It came with the combo I bought, but I just realized it is for a Siverado NOT an Express. Hopefully this is why I have NO pedal response at all, and I have "reduced engine power" showing up on the Drivers Information Center. I am ordering the correct matching pedal. Does anyone know if these pedals have to match the ECM; etc.? I know with older models that have a TAC module they should match to work properly, I thought the newer style was more universal.

- I have to get my BCM programmed to delete all the non-used items such as Airbag; ABS; etc. so the warning lights go out. I would also like to get the mileage reset to 468 so that it matches the engine miles.

Other than that, I am very happy with how everything has worked out.

Last edited by trozfan; 08-20-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:05 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You had a very interesting build thread to read.
Congrats on your progress.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool build! Would like to see more pics!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

been following your other thread...awesome job on all the electrical/module integration. must be a good feeling to turn the key and have it fire up with no magic white electrical smoke
regarding the pedal situation... some are interchangeable and some aren't. I would think the truck and van would interchange. sometimes the pinouts on the pedal side are slightly different, you may want to start there just to make sure and the truck pedal may work. if its not that, different pedals can have different voltage/resistance high/low values I believe which has to match the ecm and its operating system/program. hope that's not too convoluted.

i'm interested in the bcm programming...I didn't know it was possible to program that stuff out. is that something that has to be done at a dealer?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 107 Likes on 45 Posts

"i'm interested in the bcm programming...I didn't know it was possible to program that stuff out. is that something that has to be done at a dealer?"

I'm told that it's all done with a Tech2 scanner. Whenever a car needs a new BCM they have to program in/out the options it has so that it matches the vehicle. Hopefully air bag and other things that are on ALL vehicles can be programmed out too- or fool the BCM to think it is there. I am trying to find a local guy that has a Tech2 and have him come to the house.

Quick Reply: After 5 years the 1963 Econoline Hip-E-Van breathes for the first time!