Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2 or lq9 for OBS truck 1995

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2 or lq9 for OBS truck 1995

Hi guys, I'm new in this world but I've read so much in this forum it teaches me alot of things, thank you ppl

Guys I really want some power my goal is to hit 450rwhp N/A and the drivability is so important to me.

I heard a lot of guys said that I should go with lq9/lq4 it's a common swap, likes the power and strong as hell

On the other hands, they told me ls2 engine is great engine, they showed me dyno numbers, and I think there will be zero issues for 450rwhp

I know it's a Truck but a 2wd truck, 1500, 5 speed manual,3.73 limited slip rear end and I don't like to tow. I want a street monster

So my question is

Should I go with ls2 or lq9 ?
What would be the easier way to 450rwhp with less mods ?
And what would be the easier swap for me ?

Thank you guys
Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nawaf
Hi guys, I'm new in this world but I've read so much in this forum it teaches me alot of things, thank you ppl

Guys I really want some power my goal is to hit 450rwhp N/A and the drivability is so important to me.

I heard a lot of guys said that I should go with lq9/lq4 it's a common swap, likes the power and strong as hell

On the other hands, they told me ls2 engine is great engine, they showed me dyno numbers, and I think there will be zero issues for 450rwhp

I know it's a Truck but a 2wd truck, 1500, 5 speed manual,3.73 limited slip rear end and I don't like to tow. I want a street monster

So my question is

Should I go with ls2 or lq9 ?
What would be the easier way to 450rwhp with less mods ?
And what would be the easier swap for me ?

Thank you guys
It would be no problem getting 450 out of anyone of those engines. There both 6.0's but the ls2 is an aluminum block so that would save you weight. You could probably get a lq4/lq9 cheaper than a ls2. If you get a lq4 just make sure you get a 2001 or newer if you plan on keeping the 5 speed, there is a removable shim on the rear of the crank that's not removable on the 99,2000. The flywheel will not line up with the shim on the crank.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
It would be no problem getting 450 out of anyone of those engines. There both 6.0's but the ls2 is an aluminum block so that would save you weight. You could probably get a lq4/lq9 cheaper than a ls2. If you get a lq4 just make sure you get a 2001 or newer if you plan on keeping the 5 speed, there is a removable shim on the rear of the crank that's not removable on the 99,2000. The flywheel will not line up with the shim on the crank.
I know its cheaper than ls2, but for real I did not see 450rwhp lq9/lq4 n/a and dd all of them are track cars, but I did see 450rwhp TBSS which is heavier than my truck with few mods. Everyone I've seen with lq9 450+ Did a forced induction setup, few of them got 450+ N/A.

So what do you think ? Can I get that 450rwhp of lq9 engine N/A for simple mods ? Truck? Dd?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know your primary question is regarding RWHP but I'll but if cost is a consideration, I'll offer this; often times, people will suggest getting a truck engine on the cheap for their swap project. But when truck engines are going into cars, typically, the intake will be too tall and the oil pan too deep requiring additional cost in sourcing a car intake, TB, fuel rails, injectors, water pump, accessory brackets, oil pan, etc. etc. Depending on how you go about this, the cost benefit of buying a truck engine can quickly be lost vs. sourcing a dropout from an F-Body or 2004-2006 GTO.

But in your case, you're swapping this into a truck which has plenty of room for a truck intake, oil pan and front end accessory drive. And those tall truck intake manifolds, though ugly in the opinion of some, have been proven to be one of the best performing stock LS intakes.

If you find a good deal on an LQ4/LQ9, I think you can get close to your RWHP goals and be money ahead, vs. sourcing an LS2.

Tipsy
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I know your primary question is regarding RWHP but I'll but if cost is a consideration, I'll offer this; often times, people will suggest getting a truck engine on the cheap for their swap project. But when truck engines are going into cars, typically, the intake will be too tall and the oil pan too deep requiring additional cost in sourcing a car intake, TB, fuel rails, injectors, water pump, accessory brackets, oil pan, etc. etc. Depending on how you go about this, the cost benefit of buying a truck engine can quickly be lost vs. sourcing a dropout from an F-Body or 2004-2006 GTO.

But in your case, you're swapping this into a truck which has plenty of room for a truck intake, oil pan and front end accessory drive. And those tall truck intake manifolds, though ugly in the opinion of some, have been proven to be one of the best performing stock LS intakes.

If you find a good deal on an LQ4/LQ9, I think you can get close to your RWHP goals and be money ahead, vs. sourcing an LS2.

Tipsy

So I think you meant that if I had a car it's just better to get an ls2 rather than an lq9 because it will cost me more

And I should stick with lq9 option because it's better than ls2

I have plenty of room to put both engines in my truck yes ?
So why did you prefer to stick with lq9 while the ls2 has 400hp from the factory ? Because it's cheap yah ?

I don't know man maybe I'm wrong but I think the ls2 will reach me faster to my goal with less mods and still driving it as a daily truck because of the400hp from the factory

What do you think?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The LS2 will have 243/799 HEADS. Aluminum block and if you get a TBSS the good intake, CNC the heads, a good set of valves and springs, a good cam from Scoggin-Dickey and you are close to 500 hp and gobs of torque....
Old 09-11-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I think you meant that if I had a car it's just better to get an ls2 rather than an lq9 because it will cost me more
Yes, for the sake of simplicity - when swapping into a car, it's more straight forward to simply use a complete dropout from a car (typically, an F-Body or GTO).

And I should stick with lq9 option because it's better than ls2
I wouldn't say an LQ9 is better than an LS2. But they typically cost less. The LS2 is an aluminum block with 243 heads. The LQ9 is an iron block but is the same displacement as the LS2 with lower compression (LS2 10.9:1 vs. LQ9 10.1:1).

I have plenty of room to put both engines in my truck yes ?
I would assume a truck engine would fit in your truck without needing to change the intake, oil pan or front end accessory drive. I'm sure with a little searching, you can find similar swaps online and confirm this.

So why did you prefer to stick with lq9 while the ls2 has 400hp from the factory ? Because it's cheap yah ?
I didn't say I prefer the LQ9. I'm simply offering a suggestion that an LQ9, which is the same displacement as an LS2, could fit in your truck application with little to no exterior modification (intake, oil pan, accessories). The LQ9 won't make as much power as the LS2 in stock configuration but if you get the LQ9 cheap enough, you could probably exceed the LS2's power with a cam and heads.

I don't know man maybe I'm wrong but I think the ls2 will reach me faster to my goal with less mods and still driving it as a daily truck because of the400hp from the factory

What do you think?
Probably so. Just ask yourself if cost is a limiting factor in reaching your power goals and go from there. Either engine can make 450 RWHP normally aspirated. It sounds like an LS2 from a TBSS would be a good solution for you. They have the truck intake manifold and accesories and will probably be an easy fit into your 1500. An LS2 from a 2006 TBSS will have a 24x reluctor while the 2007 - 2009 TBSS LS2 have 58x.

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Ls2 or lq9 for OBS truck 1995