Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touareg Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touareg Swap?

Hello!

I have an 2004 Touareg that I recently purchased and the timing chain went out on the interstate. I haven't gotten into it yet but I am assuming it will be several thousand dollars to take the head off replace valves ect or swap a new motor in. It is a 3.2 V6. It has been a real bum deal but the one bright spot I could come up with is maybe this is the perfect opportunity to swap in an LS motor. Does anybody have any information? Ever seen one done before or in the Audi/Porsche version? I would like to keep the AWD system so I am wondering if I could use the GM ECU but buy a custom harness that would allow the gm ecu to communicate with the vw transmission and drive system? Then an adapter plate for the transmission and engine mounts.... I am telling myself that if I go with an iron belly 5.3 or something of that nature I can pull off the swap even with the custom pieces for the same cost as replacing or repairing the VR6 motor. Am I just lying to myself?

A long time ago I came very very close to an e30 LS1 swap but never pulled it off. I have always wanted to come back. I did a quick search earlier but only found a little talk and no action or follow up on a swap. Any chance there is a kit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before I couldn't find links....

Thank You!!
Old 11-13-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Buy a used VW engine and replace yours. Be happy...LOL

Andrew
Old 11-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Anything can be made to work if you are willing to put the time and money in it. But i think you are asking for a lot to still use the stock trans and i dont think the GM ecu will communicate with it if you did get the engine adapted to it.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Would you have to teach the GM ECU to cheat?

Quick Reply: Touareg Swap?