Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage LQ4 from a 2500

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High mileage LQ4 from a 2500

I'm currently trying to sell or trade a car (1997 Camaro SS, listed here in the classifieds) to fund doing an LS swap in my C10, bring the drivetrain up to modern standards. I'm selling for $3500 with a little wiggle room.

I got an offer for a 2000 Silverado 2500, LQ4 with a 4L80E (not sure if 2WD or 4WD at this point). The truck has almost 290,000 miles on it. He said that the previous owner claimed to have the motor replaced at one point, but cannot verify. He had the transmission rebuilt, and does have paperwork on that (don't know how long ago, we've only started talking).

He sent several videos of it running/driving, it seems to run well, no noises I can hear. Truck seems pretty clean body wise, a couple of minor rust spots in the cab corners - not that the body is something I need.

Says the motor has New intake gasket, both knock sensors, new knock sensor harness, new pcv valve, new egr valve, fuel pressure regulator, new mass air flow, cold air intake, new plugs, new wires, all 8 coil packs.

I figure I can part out what I don't need and pull quite a bit to use in my C10, if I go that route.

The mileage has me worried. I know these motors are workhorses and have been used in all kinds of fleet vehicles, and several hundred thousand miles are not unheard of with no problems. I don't mind freshening a few things - I've read timing set and lifters are a good idea - but man, 300k is a lot.

I guess I'm wondering if this truck as described would be worth around the $3k-ish I'm looking to get. When I shop around car-part.com for LQ4s of that vintage, they're asking 7-800 or more even with that same mileage, and this doesn't even include accessories, harness, PCM. The transmission seems to catch a good price, if it's 4WD and I need to sell it or trade it. The rest of course could get a money here and there.

Figured I'd come to the most biggest knowledge base on the internet for this - does this seem like something I should even entertain?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That truck around here might be worth $2K at best if it runs and is halfway respectible looking, I would pass on that offer unless a couple of grand cash is coming your way with it.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
That truck around here might be worth $2K at best if it runs and is halfway respectible looking, I would pass on that offer unless a couple of grand cash is coming your way with it.
I’ve been looking at FB marketplace, around here similar trucks for that price have blown transmissions, bad motors, etc. That’s what had me thinking it might be worth it.

I asked the same question on another forum and got similar answers though, so I guess we’ll wait for something better.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought my 2003 2500HD 2wd with LQ4 and 4L80E for $1800 and drove it home. It wasn't beautiful, and one of the brakes locked up for a little bit after I picked it up. The cluster hadn't worked for some time before I bought it, but the guy I bought it from said the PO said it had about 174000 on it. $3k seems a bit much for something you are going to part out all the stuff you don't need. I'd want cash on top of the trade as well.

Jay
Old 02-26-2020, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, i would look at it as motor could be original with the repairs listed, , trans is surely rebuilt at those miles, and to much money for a clapped out drivetrain that doesnt truly suit you.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by TrybalRage
I got an offer for a 2000 Silverado 2500, LQ4 with a 4L80E (not sure if 2WD or 4WD at this point). The truck has almost 290,000 miles on it.
Mileage wouldn't scare me...but remember 2000's have iron heads...

(EDIT: I also think $3500 is too much for that. $1500 tops.)

Quick Reply: High mileage LQ4 from a 2500