Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 NA LS build for Dezert racing 1400 truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 NA LS build for Dezert racing 1400 truck

Well I have lurked on here for years and figured I would throw up a thread to log my engine build so you ls gurus can let me know if I am about to have any problems. And because this is LS tech. Not Ls in a drag car only tech.

Ill start with the truck. It started life as an silverado once upon a time and other than the cab not much is left haha. After racing on a mild 5.3 for a while I bit the bullet and am building a LQ9 that needs to be ready by Jan for testing before starting the race season in Feb. Obviously the objectives are a little different in this build as it needs to be reliable before all else as we will be racing for over 250 - 400 miles on average. But also it is a big heavy truck with big heavy tires loaded with lots of 2" DOM tube.

Here are the plans/parts i have and am assembling.

LQ9 keeping bottom end stock
243 ported heads
ARP studs
behive springs "comp cams pn-26918"
XFI XE-R CAM "Comp Cam pn- 54-444-11"
TBSS Intake
Warr Performance DBC throttle body 92mm
MS3 Pro control and harness
4l80 with little black box with ART-Carr shifter
Bosch 044 fuel pump
Long tube headers into full ss exhuast

I am not as engine savy as some of you. Im a fabricator. sorry in advance for any dumb questions. But any input or recommendations are welcome.

1st- So putting the TBSS intake on this engine what is the cleanest most reliable way to set up the fuel rails? Are there any aftermarket ones that fit this intake? ?

Last edited by mean_green; 12-16-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out your cam bearings while you are in there,also a new oil pump and timing set couldn't hurt.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Check out your cam bearings while you are in there,also a new oil pump and timing set couldn't hurt.
Thanks! I pick up the heads from a fresh valve job (just incase) and am tearing into the cam install this weekend. The engine only had 30k on it and from my research it should already have a LS2 style timing chain? I was going to check slop while open if at all sloppy replace or is there a better aftermarket one?

As for the oil pump i was saying the same thing but my buddy claims that there is not much to wear out in the oil pumps so as long as the spring is not loosing its rate and with this few miles not to touch it. Does that sound accurate or again is there a better oil pump that you all use? Or do you just throw in a oem replacement on both?

I will for sure inspect the Cam bearings. Anything else to stiffin up while inside? I am reassembling with all new felpro gasket sets.

THANKS!

PS I posted a bunch of pics to make this more fun. Just waiting for the mods to aprove
Old 12-16-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Personally, I would use dual valve springs in a racing application, but that is just me. What converter are you running in the 80e? What size tires and what axle gears? Waiting to see pictures, I always enjoy the fabrication involved with those prerunners.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Do yourself a favor and replace the oil pump while your in there. Check out the psi spring the psi 1511s are good to 625 lift. They are a good single spring . I prefer them over the single pac springs.I have had good luck with the stock replacement oil pump from advance,its a melling I believe.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want to replace that oil pump and at a least mic the bearings to determine clearances of the cam journals. I also agree with the guys above with upgrading the valve springs. In addition to the springs, take a look at the rocker arm push rod cups. I have been noticing lots of rockers with considerable wear on these cups. Factory style new replacement rockers are cheap if you are on a budget or this can be on the list of upgrades too.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mean_green
Thanks! I pick up the heads from a fresh valve job (just incase) and am tearing into the cam install this weekend. The engine only had 30k on it and from my research it should already have a LS2 style timing chain? I was going to check slop while open if at all sloppy replace or is there a better aftermarket one?

As for the oil pump i was saying the same thing but my buddy claims that there is not much to wear out in the oil pumps so as long as the spring is not loosing its rate and with this few miles not to touch it. Does that sound accurate or again is there a better oil pump that you all use? Or do you just throw in a oem replacement on both?

I will for sure inspect the Cam bearings. Anything else to stiffin up while inside? I am reassembling with all new felpro gasket sets.

THANKS!

PS I posted a bunch of pics to make this more fun. Just waiting for the mods to aprove
Cheap insurance if you are racing. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...1830/overview/

Just make sure you use the correct pickup tube O-ring and the correct oil pump install instructions.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Oil pump is cheaper than spun bearing 200 miles out. OEM gaskets in my 408.

What rpm will your rig be working in?
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Oil pump is cheaper than spun bearing 200 miles out. OEM gaskets in my 408.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Hey sorry guys the weekend was a busy one between work and the holidays. Anyone know how long it takes for pics to post? When I posted them it said I would have to wait till a mod approves? Maybe that's just the first time though I hope lol

Don't think I forgot about you guys though! I already picked up a new oil pump and cam bearings. The rockers apear to have no wear being that they only had one race on them. Hoping to have this engine put together this week. Only thing in the air are my springs. I called Comp Cam and the recommended this set of springs to me? I am going to check with PSI in the AM.

The 5.3 spent most of its time at 4k to 5k but drops all the time depending on the terrain. Spent 80% of the time in 2nd or 3rd depending on which race course.

Also my 4l80 has a stall of 2400

rear end gears are 6.00 turning 37" BFG Baja KR2s

I did however take the time to port my TBSS intake to my 92mm WARR performance throttle body and am super happy with how smooth all this air should flow.

hope i didnt miss anything. Kind of in a rush with al this Christmas business.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Beehive springs with LS7 lifters will handle that well.
Might want to upgrade the rod bolts for continuous rpm, cheap insurance.

Someone worthy needs to review cam specs.... may want to contact some vendors here for their opinion.

Quick Reply: 6.0 NA LS build for Dezert racing 1400 truck