Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen Camaro swap headers with zbar clutch, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2nd gen Camaro swap headers with zbar clutch, help!

I need help guys! After researching for months I still cannot figure out what long tube swap headers to purchase for my 1971 Camaro with a Gen III LSX motor (LQ4) with muncie 4 speed, and I am using the Zbar clutch linkage with SDCB pivot ball adapter. The motor is installed with the 1" Carshop setback brackets and standard small-block rubber motor mounts. The rear transmission mount and cross member is stock GM, and the transmission tail housing bolts in dead on, so I do not want to change the motor mounts e.g. Hooker/Holley mounts. Hooker swap headers fit with the zbar but they say they won't install with anyone else's mounts, which I find hard to believe. Also many people recommend using the 75-81 Hooker swap headers because they tuck up better. I think that Kooks headers will work with my set up, but they are extremely expensive. The Dynatech swap headers will work but everyone says they hang down too low. Please does anyone have advice for me and some picture would help too. I will post this over on the nastyz28 site for input as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 67 camaro and went thru what you are . I too wanted to keep my z bar . I used reg flat plates on the mounts and stock cross member on the trans . I went thru several headers trying to fine something that fit . I finally went with the kooks headers . They fit perfect . Had my exhaust together in a couple hours and got the trans linkage hooked up in another couple . I wish I had went with these first . I would think the design would be very similar for the your 71 . You are correct , they are expensive but I wasted a couple months and aggravation trying to save a few dollars .

Also I made my own pivot ball plate to better fine tune for proper clearance . I have no experience with the pivot ball you have .

Just thought I would share .
Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for your input. I also know that Kooks developed their 2nd gen headers around a 78 ls1 Camaro with a zbar, so it makes me feel better knowing that if I am going to spend that much money it will save me time in the long run.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen Camaro swap headers with zbar clutch, help!