Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap. Battery drains FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap. Battery drains FAST!

Did a Ls1 swap on my 94 trans. My battery now drains really fast. While I drive the colts hover around 9v. If I leave the battery connected overnight it will drain.

​​​​​also while test driving it I noticed my battery drained so much that my dash lights became extremely dim. Parked it and the battery drained completely. So I buy a new battery bc this one was old anyways. Installed the old battery in my truck and fired right up, maybe a bit of hesitation but prob due to the battery being drained by the trans am. So the new battery is in now and it begins to drain. Than all of a sudden after WOT it jumps to normal vols(13.5v-14v). Hovers there for 5mins and then proceeds to drop low.

can't figure this out. I rewired PCM hoping it's nothing there bc that's Alot of wires. I'm thinking my battery cables are not grounded well or I forgot to install some grounds somewhere during the swap. I had two copper grounding cables left over after my build. Dunno if they were Lt1 specific or I missed something. I installed the ground that gets attached to the heads and the ones attached to the support in front of the radiator. Other than that I'm lost.

. Any help I would appreciate. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not grounds. You have something shorting out and/or constantly turned on.

Disconnect the positive battery cable and and hook an ammeter in line between it and the battery post. See what the current reading is, should be zero or fractions of an amp. If it is higher, start pulling fuses until the current draw drops. That is the circuit you need to concentrate on, something is permanently wired on or shorted out.

If you still have a current draw with all the fuses pulled than start tracing wires and see if something is chaffed or grounding to a piece of sheet metal.

No fun.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks

Thanks I will try this today.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Anyone else have suggestions as to what it could be.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Update: drove the car for about an hour. Volts dropped to 8-9v and and eventually it drained the car off.

​​​​​​ So I come off the freeway after an hour of driving and turn right. My volts jump back up to 13v. immediately after peak volts, it began dropping back to 8-9v within 100yards.

. Could this be a loose battery cable? I feel like I might have a bad ground. Anyways thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Update: drove the car for about an hour. Volts dropped to 8-9v and and eventually it drained the car off.

​​​​​​ So I come off the freeway after an hour of driving and turn right. My volts jump back up to 13v. immediately after peak volts, it began dropping back to 8-9v within 100yards.

. Could this be a loose battery cable? I feel like I might have a bad ground. Anyways thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

A loose battery cable or bad connection can cause a volt meter to drop, but it will not drain a battery. Did you do as suggested to locate any current draw and pull fuses to find the issue?

You will need to trouble shoot this issue.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

How about the obvious? Maybe your alternator is junk? If you put a fresh battery in it and it drained while driving, then your alternator is not working.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
How about the obvious? Maybe your alternator is junk? If you put a fresh battery in it and it drained while driving, then your alternator is not working.

Andrew
Unfortunately the battery also drained with the motor off. Could be a bad alternator, but my guess something is wired wrong causing both the current drain AND the alternator to not charge.

A loose connection could be the issue. A wire shorting to ground could be it as well.

Unfortunately you are going to have to start tracing wires.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Bad diodes in the alternator will drain the battery and not charge correctly..
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

This ^^^ with a multimeter set on miliamps and in series with pos cable and pos bat pole, start pulling fuses 1 at time until the mA reading goes below 40-50 mA. Disconnect your bat. Wire to the alt and see if the reading drops to acceptable level, if so, bad alt.
The most common parasitic battery drain causes: aftermarket stereos and amps, alarms, relays stuck closed, glove box light, trunk light, alternator diodes and ?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Update: bought a new battery bc I broke my old one. I mixed up some cables and the pos terminal melted. Lol I'm out 100$. Lesson learned. So my car does not drain anymore but the volts take a hit occasionally. Drops down to 7-8v. Sometimes when I run over a pot hole or make left turns my volts will jump back up to 13v as if my alternator connection was loose. Tried tighting the connector on the back but only goes so far. A bit afraid of breaking the plastic cover. I was informed there should be a washer between the connector. I'll look up the diagram when I'm off.

note. I'll shut my car off and 1 min later I'll hear a low metal clunk. Sounds like a relay engaging.

thanks for all the info guys I feel as Ian close to figuring this out.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

read post 2. Thats the best way to find your issue before you end up burning your car to the ground or causing other issues having something hooked up wrong. If your getting a bad drain, you have wiring done incorrectly. The method listed in post 2 will point you directly to your problem. I've used that method on several vehicles and it's never failed me yet.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

take it to a shop
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

So for anyone who might be having this problem hear it goes. I FIXED IT!! It was the terminal on the back of the alternator that was loose from its base, allowing the tighented battery cable to move freely along with the terminal. Explains why my alternator would charge after making sharp turns or running over pit holes. Volts would drain until the car died.

. But I tighented it and now my volts read 12.5-13+ depending on conditions. Have not tested the fuss for possible leaks since before I tightened the alt. Regardless they did not register any drain. I will try again soon and keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the replies. Must alpricated.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

So for anyone who might be having this problem hear it goes. I FIXED IT!! It was the terminal on the back of the alternator that was loose from its base, allowing the tighented battery cable to move freely along with the terminal. Explains why my alternator would charge after making sharp turns or running over pit holes. Volts would drain until the car died.

. But I tighented it and now my volts read 12.5-13+ depending on conditions. Have not tested the fuss for possible leaks since before I tightened the alt. Regardless they did not register any drain. I will try again soon and keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the replies. Must alpricated.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Your running volts should be closer to 14 V.

Fully charge the battery and see what it is. If still 12.5-13 than you still have a problem.

Also a loose alternator power cable doesn't explain the battery draining with the motor off. Maybe you fixed something with all your other changes or maybe the battery was just so weak from the alternator not working.

Either way I wouldn't plan any long trips until you get some solid run time and can make sure you don't still have an issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Your running volts should be closer to 14 V.

Fully charge the battery and see what it is. If still 12.5-13 than you still have a problem.

Also a loose alternator power cable doesn't explain the battery draining with the motor off. Maybe you fixed something with all your other changes or maybe the battery was just so weak from the alternator not working.

Either way I wouldn't plan any long trips until you get some solid run time and can make sure you don't still have an issue.
good advice, ill be looking into other problems soon. correction its more around 14v im just going of the top of my head. it will drop depending the load i have in the car. upon start up it reads around 14v. ill keep an eye on it. thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap. Battery drains FAST!