Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap in 70 Chevelle wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap in 70 Chevelle wont crank

I installed a new American Auto Wire update harness from Current Performance and their LS1 conversion harness which is plug and play. I start testing today and all the lights, dash, and stereo seems to work. When I try to see if it will crank, there's nothing there. ECU is out of an 02 TA and is stock. I tried in neutral, made sure the NS switch was hooked up. Blinkers don't blink either, lights work, no blink.

Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Wouldn't have anything to do with the computer, Just did a swap on a 73 Nova and we used the stock starter wire as it came out of the firewall, What wire do you have running to the solenoid? Have you checked to see if it's getting 12v when you turn the key to the start position?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Teching In

The starter has 1 wire from the new Current harness as well as from the battery. I have not checked for ignition on voltage. Could there be a VATS scenario at play which would not allow voltage to the starter/solenoid?

This harness was integrated into the AAW harness by Current, so there were no special wires I needed to connect to switch power, power or ground. It was all done.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure the car will still crank with Vats enabled, I believe it would start run for a second and die. Starter wires should be coming from the original body harness and hooked up to the starter as they were with the old motor. Unless a fuse or link got fried somewhere. Also your starter should have at least 2 wires on it in order for it to work. Theres a small wire on the solenoid post and the main power wire coming off the battery. Wont work with just the battery wire.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With VAT's it will start for a second then die... Is current harness fuse box powering your fuel pump? Can you hear the fuel pump coming on when you turn the key to accessory on.

Grounds?

Starter solenoid wire hooked up?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Teching In

So I ran through everything again and found a couple issues. I have power to the Current fuse block, but when I inserted the fan fuse, the fuel pump kicked on. Hopefully that won't lead to other issues with fans.

The second issue was I installed a B&M shifter and wired in all the reverse light switch and Nuetral saftey switch but didn't get the connection tight enough. The engine cranks now.

Just about ready to take it to the dyno shop for ECM erase and dyno tune!

Quick Reply: LS Swap in 70 Chevelle wont crank