Sponsored by:

BBC with 0411 Conversion 72 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Captainfab
Any updates on this?
Unfortunately not yet. Fuel system should be going in this week... and Ill have more pictures. I just don't have the time at the moment but as soon as it gets cold here in NY ill be back on it.

Unrelated to this thread. I'm looking for a set of used L92 heads. I don't mind having them cleaned up if the price is right, otherwise Ill just purchase them new through S&D.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Default I'm back

Ok, I have ALOT of progress that just happened suddenly. We haven't had an opportunity to work on this car in almost 3 months as we have literarily been in a deep freeze here for what seems like eternity. I have also been busy with work and other obligations. But here is a quick update:

A few changes were made to the setup. We are holding off on the turbo for right now, but the car is being prepared for it which you will see by the way the intake setup is structured. This has been an enormous transformation and an expensive one at that. The rear end setup and 4L60e sucked up the majority of the budget and we have been upgrading parts that were already installed as it continues to snowball out of control.

As of today the 12 bolt Posi has been installed. We had the whole unit powder coated, all new bushings, 3.73 gears, and a Willwood rear disc brake setup installed in place of the drums. I don't have a picture of that specifically but I will get one for the next time I post. We also upgraded the rear with a fully adjustable suspension. The driveshaft was replaced with one again that is something that looks like it came out of a box truck. Way overkill, but it looks awesome. The 4L60e is from FLT Transmission and is their stage 79 (kidding). That's installed as well. Fuel tank has been sumped and -an lines are being installed on both the feed and return side. $900 in fittings, we were mind blown. Complete Rack and Pinion Setup was installed. It was supposed to be a "kit" but it was basically just a rack. So parts had to be sourced from Flaming River for a street rod, and we had to make a center section to hold the steering shaft in place so it doesn't bind. I have to pull the headers and make a slight adjustment to one of the pipes but otherwise we made it work pretty well. The entire car has been wired. I will post a video of that as well. The harness has been modified, as some of the injector plugs were too short, and the cam position wires had to be modified as well because the plug is different from the 97 sensor i'm using to the 2002 which came with the harness. Yesterday we began installing the reluctor. I had to machine the center hub to fit over the arp bolt. Hate on my "machine work" all you like, but it worked and I think its going to mount flush. Now the issue is trying to make some sort of bracket fit as there is no room for the thick CPS sensor to fit between the wheel and the pulley setup. I also have to begin to devise a plan for air conditioning... I have a pump from an 85 Pontiac Parisienne I am hoping to make fit with some custom lines I will need to manufacture.

Last edited by Danspeed1; 02-17-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Launching!

[

Last edited by Danspeed1; 02-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Nicely done! Any pictures the finished crank sensor on that bracket?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Nicely done! Any pictures the finished crank sensor on that bracket?
Still working on it. Caught the flu... again this year. So I am going to be off my feet a couple of days. Its ok though. Its giving me the opportunity to begin working on the tune file.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent project I also will never in the same project load 350 engine and I hope to succeed and do not know whether the pcm 411 needs to be programmed to be compatible with the engine waiting for updates
Old 02-25-2018, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ksa2000
Excellent project I also will never in the same project load 350 engine and I hope to succeed and do not know whether the pcm 411 needs to be programmed to be compatible with the engine waiting for updates
Sent you a PM.

It will definitely need to be tuned after this swap. I am praying my idea of using a 5.3 tune file for an engine so big will work. I was able to blend the MAF table very easily but I am going to be starting with a very lean MAP table to say the least, they are not even close to being the same layout. Also, hopeful I won't run into "expected air delivery" problems.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Well, I haven't had an opportunity to test fire the Chevelle yet, mostly due to the weather, but I think it's about 98% complete. Just a few small details to button up and it should be ready for a test start/drive. Spent the last week attempting to piece together some sort of air conditioning system. I decided since about 50% of the original stuff is there I am going to attempt to put together an R12 system with a R4 Compressor. I mounted the compressor down low and I'm currently working on some brackets to be able to adjust it. I purchase a Mastercool hose crimper so I could build some custom barrier hoeses.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, that was a lot of work. I love the color of your car...reminds me of...well mine
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Launching!

This was such a PITA... got the knock sensors installed though. The good news is the passenger side fits in the block. The drivers side on the other hand; I had to remove and grind down the motor mount, and then use a 45 degree brass fitting, but I think I got it. Hopefully it doesn't effect sensitivity too much

Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I have my drivers side knock sensor on a 45° brass fitting to clear the headers. Also used a heat shield to help protect it. It seems to be working just fine.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Concours Wagon
Very nice, that was a lot of work. I love the color of your car...reminds me of...well mine

Hey Phillip, is that you???
Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Yes it is
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could use gen4knock sensors. A lot smaller and they are designed to bolt to side of block.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can run the the "large" size sensor in the coolant drain hole too...or if you want to go really small like jimmyg suggested....someone makes an adapter to use a gen 4 "small" angled knock sensor in a coolant drain hole also...

Old 03-27-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

GEN IV two wire knock sensors are not compatible with the 0411 PCM

Totally different operations
GEN III are a classic piezoelectric which generates a tiny amount of voltage with vibration and feed directly to the PCM
GEN IV generate a tiny amount of resistance with vibration which reduces the constant voltage from the ECM. They have a feed and return to the ECM
Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know how both knock sensors work...I was under the impression that you could switch the operating system in the 0411 PCM, and it would recognize and run with either or...???
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why bother with the knock sensors at all? The way you have them hooked up they are unlikely to work as intended anyways. My bet is they wont pick up anything, or they will be so noisy that you'll have to tune them out.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Concours Wagon
I have my drivers side knock sensor on a 45° brass fitting to clear the headers. Also used a heat shield to help protect it. It seems to be working just fine.

Wow, comparing your car to mine, its crazy how similar the work is LOL! We have had just about all the same ideas. Which is great because i am running into some issues and need help!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Floader
Why bother with the knock sensors at all? The way you have them hooked up they are unlikely to work as intended anyways. My bet is they wont pick up anything, or they will be so noisy that you'll have to tune them out.
I would venture to say you are wrong. Philip has been using them like that for a while and they seem to work. Also those sensors are for a big block, just a 496 instead of a 454. I want to use the knock sensors so I can tune off them. We will see what happens I guess...

Quick Reply: BBC with 0411 Conversion 72 Chevelle