Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Good to see you're still with it!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you! There are times where I go between "wow! I really know what im doing!" to "holy **** what did I get into?"

This is a lot of new stuff to me, never used AN fittings, never dropped an engine by myself, and the fact that I had a baby/bought a house/refinished the garage is a huge step too!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ima keep up with this project. sounds dope!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Teching In

More throttle cable has come in in the past few days:
Ordered:
LS1 OEM Throttle cable bracket, i don't own one.
3/16th cable clamp brackets.

Arrived:
Venhill DIY Throttle Cable kit.
2nd Pedal Assembly.

I disassembled the OEM Pedal assembly, fairly standard I think. I hope to remove the OEM cable and housing, and then install the venhill cable as one single piece.
ANOTHER Porsche 996 911 LS1 Swap-grptn3l.jpg
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Teching In

It runs! It Runs!

A lot of stuff happening with the Porsche, wiring ran through, located all wires for the Porsche harness including all of the gauge cluster and misc more.
I think I will be making an MDF box and carpeting it like a speaker box to house the relays, and ECU for the LS. Since my car is non can-bus It has made things a lot easier.
Porsche sold a subwoofer box with their premium audio package, but people want $500+ for one.. absolutely not! I will build my own for that price. I hope to get the 911 to the point where I get in the car, and it feels/sounds/looks like this engine came in this car (baring AC of course)

ANOTHER Porsche 996 911 LS1 Swap-fo5tjfo.jpg
Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mamxx
It runs! It Runs!
Congrats! A great feeling, I'm sure!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Afternoon!

It runs! I had to deal with a few issues:
Oil leak from Oil Pressure Sensor plug from the top of the motor.
Coolant leak from the Porsche coolant temp sensor on the passenger(driverside) head.
Clutch is shuttering, i assume it's from break in because I have only drove it about 20mi.

Right now I have to deal with a high idle and a CEL, also It has no exhaust what so ever so that's nice.(not)

To-Dos
- H&R Rear coilovers on, fronts are in the box waiting to be installed.
- Fix High idle
- EXHAUST
- Throttle cable only opens about 50%
Old 12-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Teching In

8 month update:
Long story short, I blew up the LS1.(whoops)
It now has a LQ4 6.0 in it, which it makes it the 2nd iron block 996.

I had to install H&R Street coilovers, the rear end lifted up with the LS1. it was crazy.

the Batwing pan is NOT the way to go, i'm trying to track down a 04-06 GTO pan/windage tray/pickup tube if anyone has one laying around

If not, i'm probably going to be running an Accusump this year.

The car is no longer DBC, it was such a huge hassle that I converted to DBW and am currently using the OEM Porsche pedal to pull the GM Sensor.

Here's an exhaust picture.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Teching In

The LQ4 is cammed as well, it recently got new rod bearings/cam bearings/main bearings (the cheapest from rock auto of course!)

G Atsma (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Do you think the extra weight of the iron block threw your balance off very much?
Old 12-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I don't think so. if anything the added TQ and instant power has changed the chassis more.

I got to drive a 997 on MPS4S's on it definitely felt similar, but the powerband of the LQ4 is so much wider and faster.
Also, I have been a long term AWD autocross guy, so my driving style is relatively aggressive, which does not lend itself to to the 911.
The 911 as of right now has Indy Firehawk 500's, 265 in the rear, which is simply not enough.

The LS1 quite literally raised the rear end up by about 1.5". Also when I bought the coilovers (used because im cheap), I didnt adjust the collars, the car all the way around has a ~3/10th" difference GTF height on all four corners.

I'll know more when I get on some corner scales and balance it this year.
G Atsma (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

8 month update:
Long story short, I blew up the LS1.(whoops)
It now has a LQ4 6.0 in it, which it makes it the 2nd iron block 996.

https://youtu.be/SJoOjpvUuF4

I had to install H&R Street coilovers, the rear end lifted up with the LS1. it was crazy.

the Batwing pan is NOT the way to go, i'm trying to track down a 04-06 GTO pan/windage tray/pickup tube if anyone has one laying around

If not, i'm probably going to be running an Accusump this year.

The car is no longer DBC, it was such a huge hassle that I converted to DBW and am currently using the OEM Porsche pedal to pull the GM Sensor.

Here's an exhaust picture.
I think you're on the FB Porsche Swaps group also, right?

I'm shoving a LS1 into my C2 996 and keeping DBC. I kinda feel like I should have converted to DBW but I also might just route a Lokar LS1 cable out through the transaxle shifter grommet and call it good. I used one in my Jeep with good results. I am thinking of mounting the cable off the pedal to the side and near the top. It might expose the cable but after hearing about all the nightmares, I think it might be the way to go.

I am also running the Canton "front sump" road race pan, which would be a rear sump in our applications. I think this pan plus an Accusump should be a decent track setup.

Keep the updates coming, it's great to see another swap progressing!
Old 12-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gtxracer
I think you're on the FB Porsche Swaps group also, right?

I'm shoving a LS1 into my C2 996 and keeping DBC. I kinda feel like I should have converted to DBW but I also might just route a Lokar LS1 cable out through the transaxle shifter grommet and call it good. I used one in my Jeep with good results. I am thinking of mounting the cable off the pedal to the side and near the top. It might expose the cable but after hearing about all the nightmares, I think it might be the way to go.

I am also running the Canton "front sump" road race pan, which would be a rear sump in our applications. I think this pan plus an Accusump should be a decent track setup.

Keep the updates coming, it's great to see another swap progressing!
I am apart of that Group!

As for the DBC situation, it was a horrid, horrid mess.

It was either 3D print a new internal pulley for the porsche pedal assembly, or ditch the idea all together.
I even poorly welded a honda civic TB pulley to the LS TB, no good.

It was a mess, moving to DBW was arguably one of the better decisions i made. There is a guy on the group selling the pedal bracket I used. (Sam G.)

PM me if you want to know exactly who i am on FB.

I want to go with a "front" sump pan, but i'm going to be spending $1k~ for a full setup + exhaust rework, which im not super keen on.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am apart of that Group!

As for the DBC situation, it was a horrid, horrid mess.

It was either 3D print a new internal pulley for the porsche pedal assembly, or ditch the idea all together.
I even poorly welded a honda civic TB pulley to the LS TB, no good.

It was a mess, moving to DBW was arguably one of the better decisions i made. There is a guy on the group selling the pedal bracket I used. (Sam G.)

PM me if you want to know exactly who i am on FB.

I want to go with a "front" sump pan, but i'm going to be spending $1k~ for a full setup + exhaust rework, which im not super keen on.
I wish I had gone DBW at this point, but I am running a Terminator X kit and it's a $300 bump to DBW control plus finding all the other components. Not likely right now.

I have a 3D printer, I was wondering what it would take to change the internal pulley. I haven't taken apart my pedal yet, but saw another user on here mount a bracket off the pedal to hold the end of a cable and then another bracket on the trans tunnel to mount the cable body. Rest of the cable routes through the body pass-through grommet and to the throttle body. I did a similar setup on my Jeep and it works very well with the LS1. Unless you have better advice for a DBC setup, this is the route I am likely going to take. Let me know what you think!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What ls1 harness did you guys use? And where did you mount the ecu?
Old 12-21-2019, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry it’s right in the text which I was too lazy to read
Old 05-13-2021, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Just a quick update.
Learned that big cams in manual cars kinda sucks, went back to LS1 cam for the drivability.

Finally got my trunk/hot air intake on, it's a squeeze, would love fresh air but no really good way to get it without cutting into the body.

I have driven about 3k miles on the current configuration with this LS1.
As for oiling, I went with Canton Front sump pan, (now rear, because backwards), Improved racing oil filter housing+Thermostat, and laminova water-> oil cooler, it has been keeping my temps happy.
No helper pump, still running only two radiators.

ANOTHER Porsche 996 911 LS1 Swap-3fwwuw7.jpg
ANOTHER Porsche 996 911 LS1 Swap-jfqal4r.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JFqaL4R.jpg[[img]https://i.imgur.com/JFqaL4R.jpg/img]
The following 2 users liked this post by mamxx:
Amille28 (03-07-2023), LQ4-E39 (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Porsche 996 911 LS1 Swap