Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct. I did a sloppy job of attempting to quote your previous message. I sent everything with the header of 8A EA 10.

Last edited by danbo313; 04-14-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PeteS160
There is no message for the battery gauge. It just uses voltage in the cluster. I spent countless hours looking for a message for this only to find out I had a bad stepper motor in the cluster.
You sure its that way on the '05 HD cluster as well? All the schematics i've looked at show it as IPC Logic..Schematics for previous years show it as fed by the IGN power source. I'll give it a shot and see!

Anyone have a method for doing a guage sweep from a console window & ELM327?

Last edited by danbo313; 04-14-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All GMT800 clusters 03 to 07 should respond to this.

19 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x07,0x8C
9 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x03,0x84
14 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x05,0x88
Old 04-24-2020, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rem280
All GMT800 clusters 03 to 07 should respond to this.

19 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x07,0x8C
9 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x03,0x84
14 volts = 0xE8,0x73,0x40,0x08,0x05,0x88

It works!!!! Thank you!!

I was getting close, but had a long way to go. I was at the SAE J2178-4 Charging system table, but it lists battery voltage as Sec ID 09.

Breakdown:

E8 - Priority 7, 3 byte, No In-frame response allowed, Function address, Function Command/Status
73 - Status ID for Table - 24 Charging system messages of SAE J2178-4
40 - sent form BCM (if 40 is used, the status will reset to bottom of scale in a few seconds if message is not reset. can be sent from 10 - PCM
08 - Sec ID from table (not in SAE J2178-4)

078C- hex for 1932 (it appears the value is sent in hundredths of volts, converted to hex)

The messages are similar format to oil pressure (Status ID 4B, Sec ID 11) , coolant temp (Status ID 49, Sec ID 10).

The sad news is my 98 cluster arrived today. Anyone want to buy an 05 MT cluster?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Hi everybody , very interesting thread, I am currently swapping a 2005 L33/4l60 in my 1958 Oldsmobile, I have a cableX box to drive the speedo but I would love to add an engine monitor as the org dash does not have temp gauge or tach, is there some way to a 1850vpw to can version? So maybe i can buy some of these montors on ebay to mount under dash in order to keep original looks as much as possible?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 01:52 PM

Default Adapt to custom gauge cluster

There is no message for the battery gauge. It just uses voltage in the cluster. I spent countless hours looking for a message for this only to find out I had a bad stepper motor in the cluster.
Hello, I've been reading through this thread a bit, but I'm on mobile right now so it's a lot.. what's the feasibility of using your data points on something like an arduino/rpi to build a custom gauge set? Basically I just need the data points you've tagged.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Your simplest option would be using mode 1 or mode 22 pids so that you can request the data you need for your custom dash.

I expect to have a low(er) cost stand alone J1850 VPW transceiver that is suited for DIY projects and uses serial data to read and write messages avaible end of this month or early next month. It's capable of being used with both 3.3 volt or 5 volt devices with out any external type of level shifter required for the serial terminals so it will be very simple to use with both Arduino and Pi projects.
The following users liked this post:
Rolf Hansen (01-05-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:57 PM
Teching In

@petes160 Did you ever produce the CAN to J1850 converter? I'm doing an LS swap a 2014 Engine to a 2006 truck. I've searched everywhere for a converter to allow me to use my OEM cluster with the CAN engine control .
Rolf Hansen (01-30-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:44 PM

I'm looking at possibly swapping an 01 LM7 into my 02 Liberty and would definitely be interested in a module like the one you've been working on. I'm looking to stay 4wd, and possibly NV3550 swap the KJ at the same time.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cschlick
I'm looking at possibly swapping an 01 LM7 into my 02 Liberty and would definitely be interested in a module like the one you've been working on. I'm looking to stay 4wd, and possibly NV3550 swap the KJ at the same time.
Well, the only thing I think might be an issue would be the 4wd indicator light on the dash. I also don't recall if the front axel had a solenoid to disengage an axel or not.

I finalized hardware over the winter for my conversion modules and have already written a few different firmware versions for various vehicle/ECU setups. The way I designed the hardware it's able to accommodate a lot of different situations, and while displaying 4wd status isn't something I have done it would be possible to program one of spare inputs on the module to read the 4wd switch in the transfer case so the dash light came on when it was in 4wd.

As for using a manual trans, as long as either your transfer case or trans has an output speed sensor you can wire into your PCM there wouldn't be any issue there. The Jeeps stock ECM and TCM(for autos) can be completely removed along with all the wiring for them. The only major change in wiring that needs to be made is wiring the ASD relay so that it comes on with the key rather then looking for power from the ECM. If your in a state that does any kind of emission testing you'd have to figure that part out yourself since the Jeeps NVLD pump for the evap system isn't compatible with anything else.

FrostY85 (07-01-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 11:26 PM

Well, the only thing I think might be an issue would be the 4wd indicator light on the dash. I also don't recall if the front axel had a solenoid to disengage an axel or not.
​​​​​​As far as I know, the early model-year KJs do not disengage the front diff at all, but I could be wrong.

I finalized hardware over the winter for my conversion modules and have already written a few different firmware versions for various vehicle/ECU setups. The way I designed the hardware it's able to accommodate a lot of different situations, and while displaying 4wd status isn't something I have done it would be possible to program one of spare inputs on the module to read the 4wd switch in the transfer case so the dash light came on when it was in 4wd.
That's not a huge deal to me anyway. It's a manual transfer case, so you can look at the selector handle and see what position it's in anyway, I don't need an idiot light on the dash to tell me I lifted the handle.
​​​
As for using a manual trans, as long as either your transfer case or trans has an output speed sensor you can wire into your PCM there wouldn't be any issue there. The Jeeps stock ECM and TCM(for autos) can be completely removed along with all the wiring for them. The only major change in wiring that needs to be made is wiring the ASD relay so that it comes on with the key rather then looking for power from the ECM. If your in a state that does any kind of emission testing you'd have to figure that part out yourself since the Jeeps NVLD pump for the evap system isn't compatible with anything else.
I'm in Michigan, no emissions inspections here. As for the output speed, I'm not sure. My KJ is an 02 and does not have ABS, so the speedo signal comes solely from the vehicle speed sensor on the rear diff. The NV3550 was the factory 5spd option for the same year(s). I assume the 5spd KJs use the rear diff-mounted VSS as well, as the trans tailhousing-mounted VSS didn't come around on the auto trans models until late 04 or 05 (iirc) when they switched to the 42rfe from the 45rfe that was used in the 02-early 04 models.

Last edited by cschlick; 05-18-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cschlick
​​​​​​
​​​

I'm in Michigan, no emissions inspections here. As for the output speed, I'm not sure. My KJ is an 02 and does not have ABS, so the speedo signal comes solely from the vehicle speed sensor on the rear diff. The NV3550 was the factory 5spd option for the same year(s). I assume the 5spd KJs use the rear diff-mounted VSS as well, as the trans tailhousing-mounted VSS didn't come around on the auto trans models until late 04 or 05 (iirc) when they switched to the 42rfe from the 45rfe that was used in the 02-early 04 models.
I'm not sure if the read diff speed sensor would be compatible with the GM ECU. If it was NOT compatible then either the transfer case would need to be modified, some kind of drive shaft speed sensor setup.... or find a GPS based speedo that would work with an LS ECU.

As for engine placement, I have no idea where an LS would line up if it was adapted to the Jeeps trans or what you would be able to use for an oil pan. If you cut the read cross member out under the back of the engine you could likely get a truck oil pan to fit but with the way that cross member is made it interferes with pretty much any Ls pan with a rear oil sump. Spacing may also be tight between the oil pan and the steering rack, even using an LS 3 pan I don't have all that much room between the rack and pan.

If you planned on keeping the AC don't try and get fancy and notch the sub frame like I did to clear a stock LS truck AC compressors. The Sanden compressors with mid mount lines are noting but garbage and you'll hate your life yearly when you have to damn near pull the motor to replace the compressor.

I'm currently using Summits copy of the Hooker resto fit manifolds that use a 2, bolt ball and sock flange and they clear far better then ANY stock LS exh manifold regardless of what they are off of. The pipe on the driver side would be pretty tight with the drive shaft there but as long as your not trying to fit mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch pipe there would likely be enough room to use the same type of manifolds. If you skip the coatings on the summit versions they end up being only slightly more then a pair of Dorman truck manifolds from a parts store.

I also live in Michigan....small world
Old 05-25-2021, 09:18 AM
SFN
Teching In

I expect to have a low(er) cost stand alone J1850 VPW transceiver that is suited for DIY projects and uses serial data to read and write messages avaible end of this month or early next month. It's capable of being used with both 3.3 volt or 5 volt devices with out any external type of level shifter required for the serial terminals so it will be very simple to use with both Arduino and Pi projects.
I have done a LS3 swap into a 2000 GMC 1500 2WD using an E38 PCM. I am using a 2000 GMC 2500 instrument panel. Speedo, tach and oil pressure are hard wired and voltage works. I need a transceiver to talk to the water temp, trans oil temp and fuel level gauges. Also need communication with ABS as the ABS and brake warning lights remain on.

I purchased a Macchina M2 UTH but am lost before I even got started. Is there somewhere I can purchase the hardware/software to get things working?
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SFN
I have done a LS3 swap into a 2000 GMC 1500 2WD using an E38 PCM. I am using a 2000 GMC 2500 instrument panel. Speedo, tach and oil pressure are hard wired and voltage works. I need a transceiver to talk to the water temp, trans oil temp and fuel level gauges. Also need communication with ABS as the ABS and brake warning lights remain on.

I purchased a Macchina M2 UTH but am lost before I even got started. Is there somewhere I can purchase the hardware/software to get things working?
That is a bit of an interesting combination you have there.

I can convert the data from the LS3 ECU into the format the trucks looking for....but....my real concern if the fuel gauge.

Do you have the E38 wired to the trucks sending unit....or have you tried wiring it up that way? Of course its not going to read on the dash like that but if your able to read fuel level with the E38 then all the data from the ECU can be collected and converted to the trucks bus format and protocol.

The only real drawback with the E38/E67 ECU's is they can't be read using the streamed data that's sent between modules like they are in stock application's. For what ever reason until global A the cars, trucks and vans all use their own unique messages and even then those messages change from year to year on the same vehicle's. What this means is the data needs to be collected from the data bus in the same manner a scan tool would communicate with the ECU. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, however only 1 tool is able to talk to the ECU at a time, meaning that if an actual scan tool was connected to the vehicle the conversion module has to stop collecting data to prevent it from interfering with the scan tool. So, when doing things like data logging in most cases any information that's being requested from the ECU will cease until the scan tool is unhooked from the vehicle. There are some situations where data can still be read, if the scan tool reading the bus is using the same message request formats as the module, the module is able to stop sending requests and instead simple read the the data the scan tool is collecting. Unfortunately since there are about a dozen different ways that a scan tool can read data its impossible to make it work this way with all types of scan tools.

The only thing I'm not sure I have information on for the trucks data bus is the trans temp gauge. That I would have to do some digging in notes to see if it was something I even looked for since I don't have any 2500 clusters.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:15 PM
SFN
Teching In

I can convert the data from the LS3 ECU into the format the trucks looking for....but....my real concern if the fuel gauge.

Do you have the E38 wired to the trucks sending unit....or have you tried wiring it up that way? Of course its not going to read on the dash like that but if your able to read fuel level with the E38 then all the data from the ECU can be collected and converted to the trucks bus format and protocol.
Yes, I have the fuel gauge wired to the E38, but it appears to be reading in reverse. I can see its reading with HP tuners. After a fillup, I was getting low fuel warnings on a Banks Data Monster, that warning has now gone away, and HP Tuners shows I have 3.3 gallons in the tank, but I'm sure that's 3.3 gallons less than full -- I showed as having 10.9 gallons before I filled it up.

I failed to mention another interface that's needed -- convert the turn A/C on/off wire to a CAN BUS signal.

Should I attempt to log the data that the E38 ecu is sending? The Macchina is not hooked up.

Thank-you for your help!

Old 05-25-2021, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Could this theoretically work for J1939<->J1587? Or at least J1939<->J1939?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:12 PM
Teching In

I found this device on eBay and I was wondering if it would work and what I would do to program it so it would convert my 2002 Chevy S10 to read the cluster or use the cluster from a 2018 Chevy Silverado? I'm needing to get this done as soon as possible if it won't is there anybody that can help me with what I can buy to make this work or what I can do?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163830603151
Old 06-17-2021, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
It took me decades just to figure out how to spell analog....
lmao. Tff
Old 06-17-2021, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Antman1
I found this device on eBay and I was wondering if it would work and what I would do to program it so it would convert my 2002 Chevy S10 to read the cluster or use the cluster from a 2018 Chevy Silverado? I'm needing to get this done as soon as possible if it won't is there anybody that can help me with what I can buy to make this work or what I can do?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163830603151
No one makes a product to do what your looking for, and honestly I don't think you have any real understanding of how bus conversion actually works. There is no universal decoder or public data on what each bus message is, how it is scaled or what the required messages are to make something work.

Gather data off the S10 data bus can be done by those who know the message formats but you'll run into hardware issues unless your willing to deal with some gauge lag.

The 2018 Silverado cluster.....you'd be 100% on your own there and you WILL need a running/driving truck that uses the same cluster that you want to use in order to collect message logs from the data bus. Given the number of modules used in the late model trucks, this means your going to be dealing with a ton of messages that you will have to sort through 1 by 1 finding messages you need and then work out scaling on them so expect this to take a rather long time even if your good at working with can bus data logs.

Now you'll need hardware, and there is no type of DIY....off the shelf product made that will convert the bus types between your S10 and the Silverado, at best you'll be hard wiring multiple development boards together.

To pay someone to make something like this, you'd spend a ton of money....were talking thousands of dollars and you'd still likely be looking at several months(probably 3-4 months) for someone to deliver you a finished product.......if you wanted something faster....say 1-2 months expect to spend well over 10 grand.

Now, if you wanted build something cheaply.......as in doing it yourself you could do it for a couple hundred dollars but you will be decoding all your own bus logs and writing your own code. Nothing about it will be done quickly and it will be a MASSIVE time sink, depending on your skill level and programming knowledge you could easily spent 500-1000+ hours making this.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:02 PM
Teching In

No one makes a product to do what your looking for, and honestly I don't think you have any real understanding of how bus conversion actually works. There is no universal decoder or public data on what each bus message is, how it is scaled or what the required messages are to make something work.

Gather data off the S10 data bus can be done by those who know the message formats but you'll run into hardware issues unless your willing to deal with some gauge lag.

The 2018 Silverado cluster.....you'd be 100% on your own there and you WILL need a running/driving truck that uses the same cluster that you want to use in order to collect message logs from the data bus. Given the number of modules used in the late model trucks, this means your going to be dealing with a ton of messages that you will have to sort through 1 by 1 finding messages you need and then work out scaling on them so expect this to take a rather long time even if your good at working with can bus data logs.

Now you'll need hardware, and there is no type of DIY....off the shelf product made that will convert the bus types between your S10 and the Silverado, at best you'll be hard wiring multiple development boards together.

To pay someone to make something like this, you'd spend a ton of money....were talking thousands of dollars and you'd still likely be looking at several months(probably 3-4 months) for someone to deliver you a finished product.......if you wanted something faster....say 1-2 months expect to spend well over 10 grand.

Now, if you wanted build something cheaply.......as in doing it yourself you could do it for a couple hundred dollars but you will be decoding all your own bus logs and writing your own code. Nothing about it will be done quickly and it will be a MASSIVE time sink, depending on your skill level and programming knowledge you could easily spent 500-1000+ hours making this.
I wouldn't mind a little lag. I'm thinking about using the main board from my original cluster and wiring it to the stepping motors on the cluster from the 2018 Silverado Cluster. The board I have the speedometer goes to 120 not 140 and the RPM goes to 7. I can also more than likely run new con ections over to the cel and other lights too on the cluster and the illumination lights. I'm not sure anything I could do to get LCD to work.

I REALLY wanted to get the board that is on it to work even with delay or basic functions. Please tell me what I could do

Quick Reply: Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW