Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine heats up at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine heats up at idle

I have a 454 LSX in my 57 Chevy. Every once in a while Ill notice my coolant temperature runs pretty high at idle. To get it to come down all I have to do is put it in neutral and rev the engine to about 1900 rpm and it immediately drops back to normal. The thermostat is a 160 degree, I'm wandering if it may not be opened enough at idle which is causing a flow issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by 69x22
I have a 454 LSX in my 57 Chevy. Every once in a while Ill notice my coolant temperature runs pretty high at idle. To get it to come down all I have to do is put it in neutral and rev the engine to about 1900 rpm and it immediately drops back to normal. The thermostat is a 160 degree, I'm wandering if it may not be opened enough at idle which is causing a flow issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Running a 180° thermostat in my LSX 427 without issues. I'm here in Tx and run my A/C in the summer and it stays just under 200 as long as I'm not sitting in traffic for an extended period of time. Could it be the 160° thermostat is not working properly or is the water pump failing or insufficient for the size radiator your running and this is causing you to have issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would just replace the thermostat with an OEM 180 degree one and see if thats your bug. Its the cheapest and easiest thing to do real quick.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like and air pocket to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 69x22
The thermostat is a 160 degree, I'm wandering if it may not be opened enough at idle which is causing a flow issue.
You can test the thermostat in a pan of hot water to see how much it's opening.
I'm really not sure why anyone would want to run a 160* thermostat. They only regulate minimum temperature not maximum, On a modern engine you don't want the temperature to be that low.
I also agree with qweedqwag, The only time I've had that problem was when the water level was low in the radiator or an air trapped in the system. (Air pockets can cause hot spots throwing off temperature sensors)
Are you running an electric fan or belt driven?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Its a 16" spal fan, I've been kinda leaning toward an air pocket too or the thermostat. Good to get a second opinion.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You can test the thermostat in a pan of hot water to see how much it's opening.
I'm really not sure why anyone would want to run a 160* thermostat. They only regulate minimum temperature not maximum, On a modern engine you don't want the temperature to be that low.
I also agree with qweedqwag, The only time I've had that problem was when the water level was low in the radiator or an air trapped in the system. (Air pockets can cause hot spots throwing off temperature sensors)
Are you running an electric fan or belt driven?
Yeah I'm on the fence about the 160 degree T stat. It was recommended by Mast Motorsports because the under hood temps along with not having my air cleaner pulling in cold air was killing the timing. I have since revised the intake to take in cold air and put the colder t stat and it runs like a scalded *** ape. I have put a few thousand mikes on the car without any issues until recently when it started heating up once in a while.