75 Dodge Dart Swinger turbo LS1/th400 swap - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 Dodge Dart Swinger turbo LS1/th400 swap

Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Here is the reservoir in place with the 3/4" y in the heater hose instead of the t.

Well i got the new radiator in finally. Not a bad bargain for the price so far. Fits exactly like I thought it would. Stressing the importance of measure twice, cut once. or measure twice buy once.

Driver side, roughly where the turbo will be sitting. Ill be notching that support so i can fit a intake and filter on it instead of just chicken wire.

Passenger side, same thing going on here. notched to allow for a intake and filter.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a radiator combo I installed in my 67 chevelle. (same look and style, not dimension wise) The fan blew like a hurricane, breeze felt like butterfly wings... I removed the fan, made an adapter to the shroud, and modified the ac cooling fan off an early 2000's Dodge truck. It cools much better. Just something to take note of, when the time comes...
Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
Looks like a radiator combo I installed in my 67 chevelle. (same look and style, not dimension wise) The fan blew like a hurricane, breeze felt like butterfly wings... I removed the fan, made an adapter to the shroud, and modified the ac cooling fan off an early 2000's Dodge truck. It cools much better. Just something to take note of, when the time comes...
meaning the fan that came with wasnt sufficient? It said 2600-2700 cfm for it so I figured it should be alright for my setup. Will find out soon enough. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that is what I meant, the fan. It sounded like it was flowing air, but it didn't really pull that hard. Reversing the rotation didn't help. It currently is residing on my wall of shame...
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Got the elbows back welded up today. Going to try and get them on and the fenderwells cut tomorrow so the turbos will be in their final spots. Gon a have to pull them once more though for the wastegate bungs and to heat wrap them.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Got the passenger side mounted today and the hole cut in the fender just big enough or for the downpipe to pass through.

Also got the fuse box mounted up on the firewall.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

I was left unsupervised. Not responsible for for my actions

2 mufflers, 2 wastegates, 2 blow off valves, 2 oil catch cans, 2 turbo blankets, the intercooler, the headlights, the oring set cuz I fucked one up and the gauges for the dash
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

I got all these parts coming in so it should give me plenty to do between the 17th and 27th while I'm on leave, so hopefully a vast majority of it all is Here is an idea of the look the gauges will have at night. I thought about doing black and red but i felt like i needed something inside to break that all up a little and I've always loved the blue/white lights behind gauges. I may make my own gauges panel, or i may bum out and just order the nice one from Auto-meter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-Gauge-Cluster-For-70-76-Plymouth-A-Body-Duster-Demon-Valiant-etc/122456011890?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649
I mentioned in the video about a short cone type filter that i would run if i cant fit the intake like i want to, this would be the type i mentioned in case space becomes and issue. which sucks because i currently have two of those giant 4" round and long K&n's laying around.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-Car-Turbo-Racing-3-4-INCH-Cone-Heat-Shield-Cold-Air-INTAKE-FILTER/382615770731?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649
or maybe one like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Racing-Air-Filter-100mm-Car-AIR-Filter-Flow-Air-intake-System-Red/253736154913?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SI M%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dc5692b8 cd80c4044b210373bed959bf2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2% 26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D382615770731%26itm%3D253736154913 &_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This is the simple catch can setup i got because its the anodized aluminum, and in black. Some have a preference of only buying ones with a sight glass on them, but as ocd as i am ill be checking them frequently enough that i shouldn't have to ever worry about them getting too full
When i comes to the two 50mm waste gates i went with the 50mm's because in past cases ive had boost creep issues due to insufficient waste gate size and not being able to get the gasses out. So two of these things running the 14psi springs that come with them, should be all i need for this setup right now. If it ends up not being enough and i need more boost later, then ill get a manual boost controller as well. I thought about open dumping them as well because i love the sound of open waste gate cars when you hit full throttle. but with these i may just tie it all back into the downpipe and run it through the mufflers.

I may catch flack for the headlight change, but lets face it, the intensity of the stock lights are absolutely *****. This is a driver and not a show car, so i want to see where I'm going at night for safety reasons. plus i think the housing along with the 6k hids will look nice in there.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well parts started showing up today. I have a box showing up like everyday for the next week. Almost like the 12 days of Christmas. Really digging the color of these gauges.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Teching In

This is an amazing build. I have a '73 Duster 318 car with a 360 Magnum swap that I bought when I was 15. Having never been a purist, and unhappy with engine transmission options/cost to keeping it all Mopar I've seriously been considering an LS swap. I've been waiting for a clean, detailed build to follow and get ideas.

Also: After owning this car for 27 years, trust me. You're going to want those subframe connectors!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PrimerDust360 View Post
This is an amazing build. I have a '73 Duster 318 car with a 360 Magnum swap that I bought when I was 15. Having never been a purist, and unhappy with engine transmission options/cost to keeping it all Mopar I've seriously been considering an LS swap. I've been waiting for a clean, detailed build to follow and get ideas.

Also: After owning this car for 27 years, trust me. You're going to want those subframe connectors!
pretty much my feeling except I've only owned it for 4 or 5 years. Never been a mopar purist and could care less about keeping it mopar. I spent alot of time researching the gen iv swap and had a side by side comparison of what it would cost me for both. LS Twing turbo won by being 1/3 of the proce of a gen iv. I try to do things clean and make it right seeing as I'm OCD alot. But also because I know every mopar guy will try to nitpick it to death. Join the ls swapped mopar page on fb. I'm the admin for it. Lots of info there.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice build.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408GT View Post
Very nice build.
Thank you very much. Trying to keep it clean so the mopar purists have to eat more crow.

More goodies came in yesterday. Almost time to make some pssh pssh noises.

My new headlights will be here today along with the new oring to replace the one i boogered up, and then the 10an to 4an reducer fitting that will go into the oil filter housing and choke it down enough to feed these twins.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well I guess I got a little too eager because my orings and fitting didnt show up today. Guess theyll be delivered tomorrow with my wastegates.
Here they go. They are glass, not plastic. And actually came sealed up pretty darn good. I've had projector lights in the past that you had to disassemble new and reseal them. But these look pretty good. These also plug straight into the factory connector and should be pretty easy hiding all the wires cleanly.

but I'm loving the looks so far. Have a little more wiring to do before I opt test and see how much I like the red halos.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

More goodies today.
Two 50mm gates came in, the o ring kit to replace the one I messed up on the new turbo, and the reducer fitting for the oil filter housing.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

More goodies today. New intercooler, brake master cylinder, front pads, the two turbo blankets, and the 90 degree fitting that will go onto the oil filter housing to redirect the feed lines for turbos. Still ah e tl get the new powerstop rotors for up front and the all new break lines for the whole car. But should be night and day better once it's all said and done.

​​​​​​
Old 12-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Good afternoon guys,

I completely spaced while I was working on the car today. No pictures today. But I got the two catch cans in the mail, I found a proper radiator hose for the top that works, I got the passenger side fender-well cut for the downpipe, the core support trimmed for the air filter on the passenger, the driver side marked where it needs to be cut. Cleaned up the cut on the driver side fender-well. Double checked clearance on the driver side turbo with drain line installed and the blanket/downpipe flange on and mocked up the initial bend its going to need to run down the driver side fender-well. I marked the 2 inch hole for the turbo mounts that needs to be cut out to allow for the wastegates to be installed, and verified clearance of the radiator for both wastegates, so I'm good to go there. I ordered air filters for the turbos and also some clamps for the AN lines on the car to help keep them clean and organized. That was enough for today, more to happen tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well here are the updated pics after today. Peekaboo x2

here is the passenger side
​​​​​​

Driver side

Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys my twin Stanley Kinnison got some serious welding done for me tonight and saved me probably two weeks and probably at least $200 by welding up the wastegate mounts to the elbows, the dumpty e elbows, and the start of the downpipe for both sides. Cant wait to get home next week and get them all coated, wrapped and back on the car. I cant thank him enough for all the time and effort he has invested in my build.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Today was quite the busy day for the dart and I. I got the lower radiator hose sorted finally thanks to an idea that dawned on me when I was looking through all the rad hoses at autozone. I ended up using one of the radiator repair spacers and simply joined them together and rotated the other larger diameter house to meet the angle I needed so it wouldn't pinch or bind. Then I got both filters back on and made sure everything cleared.
After that was done I shifted gears Into front mount Intercooler. It may seem like its mounted a little low, which is lower than i originally intended. But it gives me the clearance I need for the two pipes coming from the turbos, sits low enough to get it's own air supply and leave some for the radiator too, and still sits higher than those old school mopar oil pans that drug the ground. The lower 3" intercooler pipe literslly sits slam up against the bottom of the lower rad support with just enough room for the coupler and clamp.
It looks close but I have room to 45 or 90 out of the intercooler and then run it back to compressor cover outlets.
After that I situated the 3 inch pipe from the intercooler to intake and got it taped up and marked so its ready for welding.
now I have to get the other 2 cold side pipes laid out and marked up, figure out blow off valve placement and then get them welded too. All my couplers are en route too. I also got the stainless steel bolts on both turbos. So no more garbage bolts holding things together.
Ta da! I also got a rad cap too. Lol

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: