Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Buick GS LS swap help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

There were a few instances of those brackets having the ears welded on the wrong side of the base plate earlier this year, your brackets may have come out of that same production run. Yes, the angled edge of the base plate resides against the front edge of the engine crossmember. You may want to call Holley tech service and get it swapped out.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered them from Summit. They are sending me another set Monday morning
Old 11-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

I am looking forward to this swap. I have a 70 GS that I am considering this for down the road. The engine that is in the car now is just too fresh to do it now. Please keep this thread updated.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oldstv
I am looking forward to this swap. I have a 70 GS that I am considering this for down the road. The engine that is in the car now is just too fresh to do it now. Please keep this thread updated.
We also have a 72 GS Stage 1 Convertible and a 70 Chevelle sitting around. The Chevelle is probably getting ls'ed next. I will post some pics of the car in a couple of days when I get back from work. I plan to get the LS installed and running before Thanksgiving and then start on the paint and body work. The bumpers are rusty and look like hell, I have an extra set of bumpers that I am thinking about trying to paint the same color as the car but I'm not too sure what that would look like. I can't find any pics of these cars with painted bumpers. It's not a Chevelle so you can't find bumpers for these things anywhere. On a side note, I just installed the Sniper tank a few days ago and when I pulled the old tank out I found the build sheet. That was a cool find.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toddoky
There were a few instances of those brackets having the ears welded on the wrong side of the base plate earlier this year, your brackets may have come out of that same production run. Yes, the angled edge of the base plate resides against the front edge of the engine crossmember. You may want to call Holley tech service and get it swapped out.
I received my replacement set today. They were also welded up wrong. So I called Holley and talked to Ty. He is checking all of their stock and sending a sales rep to Summit Racing in Dallas to check all of their stock. If they have a set that is welded together correctly he is going to ship them to me overnight.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cainsw
I hear ya! I have 455 and TH400 stored away so I can put it back and I am not cutting anything on the car. I just thought it would be cool to LS a GS! I wanted to LS an early 2nd gen RS Camaro but a decent one of those is stupid high now. Use to be able to pick one up for almost nothing not too long ago but not any more, thanks to all the shows like *** Monkey and his retard buddies down the road.
I have fond memories of running around in a old buddies 455 GS back in high school. Actually, they were twins who owned it. They ended up trading it for a 70 T/A 455, and damn, that was a neat *** car!
Good choice keeping it aside. That car will be worth some pretty silly $ here soon, not that its cheap now. Lets see some pics!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks to the guys at Holley and Summit Racing. They shipped me another set overnight. I got it all mocked up today and I have to say everything fits perfect! I was even able to use my stock trans crossmember.
Here are the correct brackets on the top

Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I’m glad to see you got that issue resolved.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

It looks rough as it has been sitting up since 03. I shoulda took some pics of it befor I srtarted tearing it down.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Damn that thing is clean and original! I don't see a dash crack or anything. If the rest of that is as clean as it looks, you have a keeper for sure!!! You may need to put a sticker on it saying, I HAVE THE 455. so purists dont come after you. LOL
Old 11-17-2018, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
....I HAVE THE 455. so purists dont come after you. LOL
Are the Buick fanatics as bad as the Pontiac guys?

Andrew
Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Are the Buick fanatics as bad as the Pontiac guys?

Andrew
I would bet they, and the Olds guys, are about the same in that respect. Pontiac might have the edge though... lol
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Damn that thing is clean and original! I don't see a dash crack or anything. If the rest of that is as clean as it looks, you have a keeper for sure!!! You may need to put a sticker on it saying, I HAVE THE 455. so purists dont come after you. LOL
It looks a lot more rough than it is. Dash is perfect but the rest of the interior is dead. I am trying to decide on a color. I don't think I can go back with green.
Pontiac guys are hardcore purist.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this car. Had a 70 skylark convertible. Sank a lot of money into Buick parts. Do yourself a favor move on with the LS platform. Wish I had done that. Probably would have kept it. I put in a wildcat 430 did heads cam intake headers pistons. Way to much money for the results. It was fast but I could have gotten there at half the price with a LS. Keep the thread going want to see this car back on the road!