Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1gen s10 lq4 swap carbed or efi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1gen s10 lq4 swap carbed or efi?

Hey guys. I just bought a really nice 1990 Chevy S10. I’ve been really wanting to swap an lq4 in my dream build for a foxbody. But here in onatrio they’re so hard to come by for a good price. I’ve decided to go with a truck instead since it kind of matches the vehicle ( truck motor in a truck) my plan is too do a t56 or whatever is equal trans. Lq4 I got from my uncles van. Efi or carbed. I’m not going to track it, it’s mostly for putting around and smoking all these hotboys in my area. I’m a low paid electrical apprentice ( for now) my main concern is if I should go with efi or carbed. The build isn’t t going to take a day so I’ll be saving money and researching the process for the swap. How hard is it too do the Manuel swap in the s10

Last edited by GmInfectedfox; 10-30-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

EFI. It's got all the parts right? To put a carb on it would actually cost more.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
EFI. It's got all the parts right? To put a carb on it would actually cost more.
yes sir all the parts are there. Oh I had no idea the carb guys were telling me it’s cheaper to go carbed
Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

You'd have to buy an intake, carb and an ignition controller, that stuff adds up. To go EFI, since it's a '90 it will have a gas tank set up for a pump, so swap out the pump with a higher pressure pump and run some new lines. Then rework the harness, flash out the VATS and you're about done.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You'd have to buy an intake, carb and an ignition controller, that stuff adds up. To go EFI, since it's a '90 it will have a gas tank set up for a pump, so swap out the pump with a higher pressure pump and run some new lines. Then rework the harness, flash out the VATS and you're about done.
sorry what is VATS the engine is from a 03 savanna
Old 10-30-2018, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Aeromotive 340 in tank works great and gauge will work still. Stock throttle cable works mine has no power steering so that's no issue either also the t56 will have the shifter further back so bucket seats is a must. I used stock trans member welded to hold my th400. 8.8 out of explorer gives u disc brakes and a rearend that u wont break mine has bone stock axles in it stock limited slip with disc brakes and holds over 800hp on a trans brake and two step launch. Scat makes a pro car seat that's cheap and works good with the summit rollbar and the stock sliders bolt to it no mods needed. Speedway upper control arms two inch drop spindles and a set of home made caltrac bars I built in the rear with a 1" block is a good stance. Also.i use coilovers on front from summit trz makes great stuff for us to. If u use the stock explorer sway bar it can be modded to work it's a thick piece works good. I built my own cluster to hold gauges but u can make most of them work in stock cluster with some searching and Dakota digital help. Pcm mounted under passenger seat wires through firewall. Stock fuel feed line I used as the return line and added 8an line from bulkhead on fuel tank. Take the bed off and modify the hanger top hat with a 8an bulkhead piece it's easy. Comp three way shocks are a good adj. Rear shock for under 500hp that work. I drilled my ford axles to work with my Chevy wheels so u can go crazy and spend all the money u want or u can search and read and do the work with buddies and have a nice ride cheaper than buying a built fbody or vette and it's still a truck so haul a four wheeler or lumber just faster

Last edited by Dimeomboost; 10-30-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by GmInfectedfox

sorry what is VATS the engine is from a 03 savanna
It's the Vehicle Anti-Theft System that is programmed into the PCM. Anyone who can tune a PCM can remove it for you.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
Aeromotive 340 in tank works great and gauge will work still. Stock throttle cable works mine has no power steering so that's no issue either also the t56 will have the shifter further back so bucket seats is a must. I used stock trans member welded to hold my th400. 8.8 out of explorer gives u disc brakes and a rearend that u wont break mine has bone stock axles in it stock limited slip with disc brakes and holds over 800hp on a trans brake and two step launch. Scat makes a pro car seat that's cheap and works good with the summit rollbar and the stock sliders bolt to it no mods needed. Speedway upper control arms two inch drop spindles and a set of home made caltrac bars I built in the rear with a 1" block is a good stance. Also.i use coilovers on front from summit trz makes great stuff for us to. If u use the stock explorer sway bar it can be modded to work it's a thick piece works good. I built my own cluster to hold gauges but u can make most of them work in stock cluster with some searching and Dakota digital help. Pcm mounted under passenger seat wires through firewall. Stock fuel feed line I used as the return line and added 8an line from bulkhead on fuel tank. Take the bed off and modify the hanger top hat with a 8an bulkhead piece it's easy. Comp three way shocks are a good adj. Rear shock for under 500hp that work. I drilled my ford axles to work with my Chevy wheels so u can go crazy and spend all the money u want or u can search and read and do the work with buddies and have a nice ride cheaper than buying a built fbody or vette and it's still a truck so haul a four wheeler or lumber just faster
wow that build sounds great do you have any pictures of the truck
Old 10-30-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

I grew up in my grandpa's 70 C10, it was three on the tree, 307, no ps or pb but it had AC. He was getting up in age and only used his C10 to pull a small aluminum boat but he went to replace the C10 with a First Gen S10. When I went to visit the familiar C10 was still in the carport so I asked about the S10, he said "I drove one and it wouldn't pull the hat off my head" so it won't pull my boat.

I would love to gift him a 4.8 powered First Gen S10 if he was still alive, I know he would be grinning

Good luck with your build, I love the square body S10's.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Injected for sure, Why go backwards? With fuel injection you'll get a smoother running engine that fires right up if the temperature outside is real hot or really cold and typically EFI is more fuel efficient and cleaner running.
Here's mine LSA supercharged 6.0 with TR6060 6-speed. Only engine mods are LS9 Cam.