Pearl, the inexpensive squarebody truck swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug

​​​​​​
Jealous of the G-body! My crazy mind wants to build a 4-door sleeper g-body.

Andrew
Old 12-15-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

haha you guys I cant keep em all!

Pearl is already on craigslist (mostly to satisfy my wife haha )

I have someone coming to get the SBC from the malibu as soon as I move. I need to keep everything mobile until then

Andrew I know of a clean malibu wagon in eastern oregon (high desert) if you're serious. The owner is a car nut (hoarder?) with over a hundred cars the municipality is forcing him to sell off.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Happy wife, happy life!

We want move but for slightly different reasons. In part of our search she keeps looking at houses with outbuildings or space for an outbuilding where I can work and feed my car habit. How awesome is that?

She actually found a house last summer that had a FANTASTIC existing shop building but wasn't able to view it with me. I turned it down because I knew she wouldn't like certain important elements about the house - even though the shop was pretty cool.

Andrew I know of a clean malibu wagon in eastern oregon (high desert) if you're serious. The owner is a car nut (hoarder?) with over a hundred cars the municipality is forcing him to sell off.
Does he have any old trucks? Do I need to make a trip to Oregon and look through his junk?
Old 12-16-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

he says he has some clean 60-66 era c10s but I havent see any pics
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

No worry, thanks for checking.

At this moment in time I think we're looking for something in the 1950's GM body style. This is of course subject to change before I finish typing my response as she scrolls through pictures. I know where a pretty clean looking (from the street anyway) 60 to 66 K series is located which she also seems to like the body style of. Of course I don't know if that truck is for sale but it's sat for years.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

60-66 c10 is my favorite era. I used to spend hours drawing them when I was a kid. A truly great design from when "working class" didn't mean "second class"

Squares are my next favorite. I really like the boxy, muscular shapes GM was using in the late 70's early 80's (in cars too)

Next favorite is the Task Force era trucks. It's like they designed it to look good with a 5/5 drop. You could get a genuine factory V8 4wd medium duty truck for the first time. Ground breaking stuff!

I'm going like a bat outta hell readying our house for market. Havent even touched the malibu (can't even think of a funny name for it)

I did find that on Pearl, turning the headlights on kills the dash instruments. Gonna have to pull the dash and see whats the deal. And the previously functioning turn signal return cam broke

Yay project cars!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going to lie, I spent about 20 minutes searching for pearl on craigslist. Yes just being nosey, and not real likely I could make a purchase, but amazed at all the clean old cars out that way. Cars and trucks that clean would fetch significant dollars here in the rust belt.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nobox351y
Not going to lie, I spent about 20 minutes searching for pearl on craigslist. Yes just being nosey, and not real likely I could make a purchase, but amazed at all the clean old cars out that way. Cars and trucks that clean would fetch significant dollars here in the rust belt.

I have the ad down until friday when a fella from seattle is coming to look at it. I'm asking 6500 as it sits...still needs some good rubber, the harness wrapped and tucked and some little details...and no a/c or cruise control yet.

Hate to sell it before I get to those things, but I need to have my cash flow in the very black for financing the new house.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What he said!!! Would of never thought that.

Stampede.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLWS, its a nice piece. I appreciate the time you take on the little things. My stuff always seems to happen in a "hurry" so the details come out a little fuzzy. At least my excuse is that my project is also my daily...
Old 12-19-2018, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

had it out cruising around yesterday doing some street tuning.

it's really peppy with the small cam and 3.73's you can bang it down from third to first while stomping the gas and get rubber from a 30mph roll

using the 8.8's ABS tone ring works perfectly as a VSS. This is great news for cruise control, electric speedo, mph fan disable etc... pretty pleased with that.

all in all it's a tight little truck. kinda sad to sell this one, I hardly got to know her!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

GLWS, its a nice piece. I appreciate the time you take on the little things. My stuff always seems to happen in a "hurry" so the details come out a little fuzzy. At least my excuse is that my project is also my daily...
My advice from doing the car thing for a very long time - buy a second vehicle. When I was young an older guy taught me this and it's good advice. I was also a "I only have one car" custom car guy in my late teens. This means everything you do is on your bread and butter machine. Bad plan, very bad plan. There is nothing wrong with driving your creation as a daily, I do it all the time and so do several on this board. The smart ones have something else to drive if the weather is bad, we broke something or we simply wanted to update things.

Let me define "something else to drive." By something else to drive I'm not talking about mom or granddad's vehicle or a bicycle. I mean something with your name on the title that you can grab at any time for any reason with no inconvenience to anyone else. Even if the reason is a change of scenery. It doesn't have to look cool, it just needs to be able to get you to work, the parts store, etc. and back reliably while the main one is down. In short you don't want to have to spend money getting a ride just to keep your job or get food because your car died.

all in all it's a tight little truck. kinda sad to sell this one, I hardly got to know her!
That sounds like a perfect truck!
I used an ABS sensor on something and it works well once you figure out the math. I love all the little things the OEM's do for us custom guys and don't even realize their dual use.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh man that brings back memories of my first real car as a teenager 64 442, swapping the transmission on a sunday night so I could to work monday while laying in the gravel driveway in the rain.

you are 100% right Bry!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sadly I cannot take on any projects at the moment. In about a year we should know where we are moving next, so maybe I will start looking then. There was a 4 door 86 Cutlass Supreme for sale locally that had 26K miles on it. It was perfect for a sleeper project.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is for all you mid 70's to late 80's gm guys with gross oily steering wheels

the elasticiser GM used when molding the plastic over the steering wheel frame degrades severely in the presence of UV light (which usually we dont get much of here in Oregon, lol

but it leaves a gross film that comes back repeatedly after thorough cleanings

I have found a solution. 50-50 mix of the HD degreaser from harbor freight.

​​​​​​

let sit over night in the solution

and like magic the goo is gone!

a tiny bit of armor all and its factory fresh (kinda)

Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh and if you guys are looking for stocking stuffers for the friends and fam

nothing says peace on earth like some freshly flashed P01's

​​​​​​
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha!!!
...or the latest burnout video on your channel!

Old 04-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom but Doug is right...
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER delay on your projects. Make time to whittle a little bit on it each day / week or you will regret it. I say this from experience. You will also be amazed what 30 focused minutes each day will produce.

I've seen close friends die young from health issues (some unexpected) thinking they were going to finish their x project or go to the y place, blah, blah - someday. It never happened. My 1961 Impala build topic is a rolling driving vehicle because I stopped waiting on the perfect day to make the car perfect before it was revealed and started building and driving the bloody car before I was dead.
I can't tell you how many people I've known in just the car hobby who died before they could finish their dream project. Grab that bull by the horns and ride that b!^$h into the sunset with your damsel at your side today, you might not have tomorrow.

Life is full of people making excuses why they can't, fewer people give reasons and action proving they can.

I haven't been in here for a hot minute but as I was doing some internet searching on this same topic I came across this comment and 100% true you are. Life is short. So thanks for the boost in Mid search mode. Just picked up 2 8.8's from explorers. One with 3.73's and one with 4.10's. One is for our 86 square and the other for the 56 belair which was running and driving last week. Now it's getting a new engine swap, rear swap, and all new suspension so My damsel and I can continue cruising farther and safer then before with the help of the 3.73's and an overdrive trans. So again Thank you as this comment helped me some years after the original. Especially now in the weird time everyone is going through.
The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (04-18-2020)