Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pearl, the inexpensive squarebody truck swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Cool project. I’ve been wanting to do a full on build with an ls swap but I’m gonna have to wait a little while.
Originally Posted by truckdoug
timing is everything, but don't wait forever! life is incredibly short.
I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom but Doug is right...
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER delay on your projects. Make time to whittle a little bit on it each day / week or you will regret it. I say this from experience. You will also be amazed what 30 focused minutes each day will produce.

I've seen close friends die young from health issues (some unexpected) thinking they were going to finish their x project or go to the y place, blah, blah - someday. It never happened. My 1961 Impala build topic is a rolling driving vehicle because I stopped waiting on the perfect day to make the car perfect before it was revealed and started building and driving the bloody car before I was dead.
I can't tell you how many people I've known in just the car hobby who died before they could finish their dream project. Grab that bull by the horns and ride that b!^$h into the sunset with your damsel at your side today, you might not have tomorrow.

Life is full of people making excuses why they can't, fewer people give reasons and action proving they can.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Amen to that!

played with the wheels a little today. ground the weld out as carefully as possible to avoid gouging into the barrel then knocked it loose with a brass drift and a BFH

​​​​​​

knocked the center back in and trued the wheel mounting surface to the face with bubble levels, then some lil tacks to just hold it for mock up

and here's the result. I couldnt get enough offset without adding a spacer but the only spacers I have on hand are some 1.5" and some .5" which is too much or not enough haha :/

I think I'll end up pushing it in a little more and using the wide spacers. I considered reversing the barrel but then beauty rings won't fit and I'd have to plug and re-drill for the valve stem.

This would be easy with 15x8" rims...but 15x10 is tough to fit inside the untubbed well

​​​​​​
Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Nice work! I've always wanted to do that but never had the right combination of stuff or need.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha well if you are ever in the situation, I can say for sure buying them from wheel vintiques is definitely more efficient in the cost vs time analysis

but what the heck. If someone were to become skilled at it and made a few simple tools and had a rotary welding table it'd go much faster. a lathe with enough swing would make cutting the center out a matter of minutes rather than an hour.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

I figured as much but sometimes we have a lot more time than money. With your new knowledge I bet the second one goes faster.
A lathe has been on my to buy list for a long time but not one that large and I'm out of space. My next big purchase will be a place with a bigger shop so I can buy... more and larger tools to go with my car projects!!!

Ironically one of the guys I know wants to widen the wheels on the rear of his 61 F100 and asked me if I could, would or knew a local place that had the ability.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a coil spring conversion..............S C O P E C R E E P
Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom but Doug is right...
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER delay on your projects. Make time to whittle a little bit on it each day / week or you will regret it. I say this from experience. You will also be amazed what 30 focused minutes each day will produce.

I've seen close friends die young from health issues (some unexpected) thinking they were going to finish their x project or go to the y place, blah, blah - someday. It never happened. My 1961 Impala build topic is a rolling driving vehicle because I stopped waiting on the perfect day to make the car perfect before it was revealed and started building and driving the bloody car before I was dead.
I can't tell you how many people I've known in just the car hobby who died before they could finish their dream project. Grab that bull by the horns and ride that b!^$h into the sunset with your damsel at your side today, you might not have tomorrow.

Life is full of people making excuses why they can't, fewer people give reasons and action proving they can.
SPEAKING THE TRUTH, ALL THE WAY!!!!. I'm afraid this might be me, some woman my boss knows has brain cancer, and is only 42, that's a next year for me, age wise.

Stampede.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Amen to that!

played with the wheels a little today. ground the weld out as carefully as possible to avoid gouging into the barrel then knocked it loose with a brass drift and a BFH

​​​​​​

knocked the center back in and trued the wheel mounting surface to the face with bubble levels, then some lil tacks to just hold it for mock up

and here's the result. I couldnt get enough offset without adding a spacer but the only spacers I have on hand are some 1.5" and some .5" which is too much or not enough haha :/

I think I'll end up pushing it in a little more and using the wide spacers. I considered reversing the barrel but then beauty rings won't fit and I'd have to plug and re-drill for the valve stem.

This would be easy with 15x8" rims...but 15x10 is tough to fit inside the untubbed well

​​​​​​
Loving the deep dish look!!!

Stampede.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Truck looks good man. I did a set of wheels like that before. Learned a lot more about steel wheels than I wanted to know haha. I bolted them on the car and used a dial indicator to true them up, and it took minimal weights to balance.
They're actually the rear wheels on the car in my sig.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah thats what i'm doing/did, I checked them before I took them apart. +/- .010 radial and .020 axial ! I was amazed.

got them both back to .020/.020 and tacked 'em.

said goodbye to ol blue this morning

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Saying goodbye to a long term project is always tough but it's usually cured by starting a new one
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Off to a new happy home.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whaaat?! Why’d you sell the blue one, I must’ve missed why.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just wanted to start some other projects. I have limited space and it seemed like a good time to move on.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I just wanted to start some other projects. I have limited space and it seemed like a good time to move on.
Glad you got her sold. I saw the post in the classifieds here. Did you find the buyer here or some other place?

Andrew
Old 11-16-2018, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Glad you got her sold. I saw the post in the classifieds here. Did you find the buyer here or some other place?

Andrew
here, he's a member. Hopefully we'll see him in the Drag Racing > Single Digit Club
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Who bought it? Tell that **** to post up. He should be proud of his purchase. I know if I had bought it I'd be making a new thread in every section of Ls1tech lol.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Who bought it? Tell that **** to post up. He should be proud of his purchase. I know if I had bought it I'd be making a new thread in every section of Ls1tech lol.
Some people like to be in stealth mode for a while. ...and no it wasn't me.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah if he wants to post up about it he will. I just hope it brings him as many *** puckering highway speed rolling burnouts as it did me

Staying busy

sprayed enamel on the steelies. black with poverty caps on a white/patina truck? we'll see.

​​​​​​

busted out the plasma cutter and got the c-notches installed in and hour and a half. Also trimmed off some unneeded riveted on stuff, e brake guides, spare tire dangler-bobber

I gotta say, for $500 bucks this drop kit is pretty great. I wish I'd had paid another $60 and gotten the long leaf shackles incase I have to go lower. But overall it's a crazy time saver. Got done in 2 hours what it'd take me a day or more to do fabbing from scratch.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I think those wheels will look great!

Andrew