Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM wiring to instrument gage panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile ECM wiring to instrument gage panel

Kinda new to posting on this site since my last post many months ago but I got a greenhorn(s) question for you LS dudes. We got a 5.3 2002 Yukon engine and tranny I'm putting in a older pickup truck so I'll probably be doing away with some of the extra stock harness wiring and am in the early stages of determining how to go about it all. My son is thinking a fella that does this kind of thing at LS1swap may be a serious contender, anybody got other considerations based on past experience ? We're cautiously thinking before we can make that call that we'd like to know how the interface with an instrument panel (old or new). What output (if any) from the ECM would be going to an old stock or new panel... would it be analog or digital or none at all assuming there are those signals coming from the ECM ? One of the more puzzling instr panel questions we have is how to get the speed signal displayed coming off the 4l60e tranny on an old cable type speedometer.. I'm sure these questions are decades old to all you LS techsters but new for use newbies. any help out there ?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To get the VSS output to a mechanical speedometer, you'll need a converter like the Cable-X:
http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

You could also convert the transmission tail housing to an older style that uses a mechanical speedometer gear if you aren't using 4WD:
https://shiftworks.com/collections/t...l-housing-kits
Old 02-13-2019, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The only output you will need from the ECM for your gauges is the tach output if you have a tach and the vss signal for speedo. Your existing vehicle coolant and oil pressure sending units can be adapted and installed in the new LS motor.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are there any wiring diagrams on the voltage/coolant temp/oil pressure sending units? I did my harness per LT1swap and it removed the oil pressure wiring. Will be using newer gauges likely Autometer. I know this is a simple issue but I've never wired any gauges before in a swap.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mikes64
Are there any wiring diagrams on the voltage/coolant temp/oil pressure sending units? I did my harness per LT1swap and it removed the oil pressure wiring. Will be using newer gauges likely Autometer. I know this is a simple issue but I've never wired any gauges before in a swap.
Volt gauge will need an ignition hot and a ground, temp and oil pressure senders will need an ignition hot and then a signal wire to go to the one wire sending units. Then there is a light bulb for each gauge that will need power from light switch and ground.

Each gauge will have a set of wiring instructions for you.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ECM wiring to instrument gage pane

Allow me to add some info to my original posting here... I neglected to detail what my stock instr panel is... like many resto-mods over the years I'm putting my GM iron (5.3) in a Ford body. specifically a 53 F100. The original gage panel I'd love to breed with is that stock panel. Pic of instr gage pnl is shown here.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Piece of cake. You should have no issues using the factory cluster. Just use the original truck sending units on the LS motor and buy an electronic to mechanical conversion box to drive your speedometer. Here's an example of the box from Dakota Digital.

Dakota Digital ECD-100