Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-1 MGBGT aka "Project Ginsu"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

After test fitting the engine again to get a better idea of what I needed to do, I just removed the complete right front rail/inner fender assembly to have better access to work on the firewall. I figured it would be coming out at some point anyway, and with the jig under the car it's pretty easy to put it back in and line things back up when needed.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

With what I'm trying to do, I figured dissecting the firewall down and working the individual parts, then putting it back together in the car was the way to tackle it.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been watching you on the mgb site. You do awesome work. Where did you learn this skill, are you a body man. Anyways I'm one of the others on the site with a LS powered 1974 mgb roadster and you can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm behind the wheel. Good luck with your build and i will be watching. I got rid of the computer and efi and went with a carb and coil pack covers

Last edited by billymgb1000; 03-09-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Well, I grew up around circle track racing and an auto repair/body shop. For the last 25 yrs I've worked as a welder/ fabricator building grain elevators, conveyors, bell towers, handrails, and just about anything else large and small that will fit through the door as long as it was made out of metal. Then I started my own shop on the side repairing and restoring British cars ( which is now almost full time and the welding is part time)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

I cut out most of the original firewall so that I could start on center if the new one and still have some bits of the old one as reference points.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been watching this build, & the ONE thought that keeps recurring in my brain is:

"OMG, I am SO glad it's you & not me that's trying to do this!!!"

Honestly though, nice work (especially on that A-pillar!) & good luck with the rest of the build!!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
I've been watching this build, & the ONE thought that keeps recurring in my brain is:

"OMG, I am SO glad it's you & not me that's trying to do this!!!"

Honestly though, nice work (especially on that A-pillar!) & good luck with the rest of the build!!
LOL!! I think these thoughts speak for many of us! Especially the last line above. Good stuff!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

While my sense of adventure isn't quite what it used to be, I've been wanting to do this one too long to not do it, or to take the easy road on it, ( I would just end up regretting not doing the hard bits) so.... I guess, enjoy my punishment of myself 😁 And thank you for the kind words about the workmanship, I'm trying to keep myself from rushing it and keep the quality up.
After pondering final engine placement, I figured I wanted to move the engine back as far as I could while retaining the heater and the wipers (keeping those is so much a part of keeping it looking factory plausible I won't compromise and remove them) I dissected the top of the firewall into three sections and starter by moving the center back as far as I could while still being able fit the wiper wheel boxes in... which was a whopping 1/2 inch.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

I took the lower center section, split it in half, widened it a little bit, and flared it out some at the front for bell housing clearance. Here's the new one next to the old one ( the extra holes are for in dash fresh air vents that the 72' on cars have, mine being a 71' didn't originally have them).

Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbgts
While my sense of adventure isn't quite what it used to be, I've been wanting to do this one too long to not do it, or to take the easy road on it, ( I would just end up regretting not doing the hard bits) so.... I guess, enjoy my punishment of myself 😁 And thank you for the kind words about the workmanship, I'm trying to keep myself from rushing it and keep the quality up.

Seems to be working so far...

After pondering final engine placement, I figured I wanted to move the engine back as far as I could while retaining the heater and the wipers (keeping those is so much a part of keeping it looking factory plausible I won't compromise and remove them)
Gotta give you lots of credit for 'doing it right'. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I took the lower center section, split it in half, widened it a little bit, and flared it out some at the front for bell housing clearance. Here's the new one next to the old one ( the extra holes are for in dash fresh air vents that the 72' on cars have, mine being a 71' didn't originally have them).

The one on the right certainly looks happier. lol

The following users liked this post:
transam5.7lt1 (02-04-2020)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got skills man!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

First test fit of the new firewall center section. I would like to get the engine a little bit further back, so it will need some tweaking yet.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

After taking the engine in and out several times and adjusting the shape in several areas I'm much happier with where it's sitting now. I made clearance around the transmission and was able to get the engine a little further back.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I modified the radio console section of the transmission tunnel to fit up to the front section ( from parts car) and will use the extra length behind the console brace to fill in the gap I created when I moved the tunnel back 2" in the car to mate up with the new shifter position.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

As others have said, the metal working you're putting on display is pretty amazing. I'm particularly impressed by your ability to dissect these various parts of the car and visualize how to put them back together to get the additional space you want/need while enabling you to make the finished product look "factory". Definitely look forward to watching this develop!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the kind words. I do spend a lot of time thinking/planning each step of the way and trying to think a couple steps ahead to get that "factory " look and prevent a lot of reworking of any previous work done( I hate cutting out something I've already made once).
I had to make a new heater shelf from scratch, as the old one obviously isn't going to come even close to fitting up to the previously modified parts or clear the bell housing. The notch in the middle is for clearance around the top bell housing bolt.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

The old center section of the firewall compared to the new one with enough room to fit the bell housing

Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It doesn't look drastically different. And that's the point, I guess. Once it's in the car, all but some MG enthusiasts will probably never have any idea how much work this was. lol

Jay

Quick Reply: LS-1 MGBGT aka "Project Ginsu"