Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hello and Help

First of all this is a fantastic site, but you all already knew that. I am about about to take the plunge into the LS swap lifestyle for my 66 Chevelle. I plan on just getting the car running and driving with the LS first and then in a couple years do the full gambit to the car, as long as the engine and trans are what he says they are. Money is tight but I'm not looking to piece it together with junkyard stuff either. This was my first car and my dad and i put it together back in high school 20 years ago. currently I'm just looking to add headers and a cold air intake with a tune maybe P&P the intake and TB and call it a day for power adders. I'm looking at getting a fuel new tank and radiator, i will send out the wiring harness and ecu. I have found a 108k LS2 with 4L60E out of a wrecked GTO that includes everything, i'm going to pick up this weekend. I'm not a mechanic but I'm not a noob either. i have built a few SBC and a couple cars over the years but not LS powered. I was wondering a few things.

What waring signs should i be looking for with the engine and trans? I will take off the oil pan and valve cover but what else?

I will get the holley 302-2 or -3 depending an how much more room the -3 has

I think i might just get all the Holley/hooker stuff since i have read some good reviews and its been designed to work together, motor mounts, oil pan, headers.

I'm not running a/c so i will need to find a diagram to remove that and a belt that will fit.

I don't have PS but am looking at getting the Grand Cherokee box

I'm also looking at converting it over to hyro-boost and C5 breaks as well.

Also i haven't found anything on what people are using as a shifter, this could be a noob questions but i have never dealt with an OD trans other than the t56 in my camaro but that's a different beast all together.

Thoughts on what else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I would definitely just buy the Holley stuff because it's just simple bolt it up and go. It's all designed to work together. The nice thing about ls engines is the a/c can just be left off since it just runs on its own dedicated belt. There's no need to bypass it. As far as a shifter goes, there are many aftermarket 4 speed automatic shifters that will fit the bill. You'll just need one with a PRND321 pattern. Make sure the engine isn't sludged up under the valve covers. This is a good indication on the previous owner's maintenance habits. If it's clean then you are probably good to go.