Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 swap in 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 swap in 68 Camaro

Im going to be swapping a LQ9 engine. Ill be using holley's 20-132 accessories bracket with 21-3 spacer kit so I can use the truck accessories. Part of the instructions say that in some cases you will need to use a smaller power steering pulley and a 25% under drive balancer to clear the control arms. My car is a 68 camaro with stock frame and suspension. Has anyone else used these brackets with a stock frame and suspension. I spoke to holley and they were not certain for my application
Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

What engine mounts are you going to run? If you are going with Holley, the stock truck pulley will fit with no issues. That's exactly what I'm running now, with stock 4th gen accessories spaced to match the truck pulley. You'll need the 302-2 or 302-3 oil pan if you run their mounts.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I plan on using all holley parts, the oil pan you mentioned, their accessories brackets and their motor mounts. Sounds like you used the same thing and have a stock frame and did not have any clearance issues.

I read up on the under drive balancer and it sounds like it could cause the alternator not to put out enough to charge adequately and I fear it would cause the ac compressor not to be as efficient so I would rather not run this under drive balancer and smaller power steering pulley.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Here's my build project: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Penny-Pincher

I think around page 6 is where I started the LS swap into my stock frame. I've got a ton of pictures of the motor and accessories in place throughout the build though.