Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM and torque converter programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM and torque converter programming

Put an 2004 Yukon gen III LM7 5.3l/4l60e into my 36' Chevy coupe. The factory computer has had an initial tune by Frost that is geared towards HP, motor has not been fired as of yet but real close. The only remaining drive train mod is the torque converter. I have a 2300-2500 Monster converter ready to install but would like to test drive the build, prior to this modification, with the factory converter. The ECM has already been programmed for all the mods including the new Monster TC. Is there going to be a problem test driving this build with the factory Vortec converter (stock is roughly 1650 rpm) prior to the Monster TC upgrade? I'm guessing the shift points will be off, anything else? The only modifications to the drive train are a small street cam that has a .600 lift, 216/220 duration with a lobe separation of 112 degrees, LS3 90mm throttle body (DBW), Holley Sniper 90mm sheet metal intake, headers, dual exhaust and an 8.8 Ford posi that has a 3:70 gear with 265 70r/15 rear tires. My goal is to fire the engine, do a small amount of test drive time, swap in the new TC and get it too a tuner for final tuning. If all goes well should I limit my drive time on the factory Torque Converter so I don't hurt the trainy?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I think it will be fine to fire it up and drive it around. The transmission tuning is pretty forgiving and you don't exactly have a super radical combination.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect and thank you for reply

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think it will be fine to fire it up and drive it around. The transmission tuning is pretty forgiving and you don't exactly have a super radical combination.

Andrew
That's what I was hoping to hear. I thought that would be the case but as I have so much time and investment into this build I sure didn't want to screw something up. My biggest concern was a trainy burn. As the TC is not that radical from the factory build nor is this an extreme hp motor even with the tune towards bringing more hp (maybe hit 400-425hp with mods?). When I do test drive this build, do you have any idea of what I should expect to hear/feel in terms of shifting, take off, etc. using the factory TC. In other words, when I first test drive the 36' with this drive train set up I want to be able to understand that certain driving conditions will be due to ecm being programmed for a different tc.Test drive of course will be to line out the bugs from my mods. For instance, if I have hesitation in take off can I attribute it too the tc or tune? I know it can be either, just hoping to eliminate bugs on first test drive without chasing problems. Thank you again for responding, it will really help when I first test drive this build.I have been building street rods
for over 4 decades but this is my first LS based motor and my first conversion motor using a computer driven system, I have no idea what to expect. Thanks again!