Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 swap into Porsche 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for LT1 info

I'm seriously considering doing an LT1 swap into one of my cars, and was wondering if you could provide any links to good basic engine information on the web. I'm doing my research now and trying to learn the engine.

Quoted:
>>
Any 283-350 Chevy small block V-8 will work, but the LT-1 is arguably the best motor for this application. These Chevy V-8 engines generally produce 250 horsepower and above, with streetable performance levels approaching 500 horsepower. The advantage of choosing the V-8 over the V-6 is a smoother running engine with less vibration and greater power. To further the advantages, the LT-1's out of a Camaro or Firebird actually have a compact enough fuel injection system and serpentine belt assembly that they fit under the stock hood without the use of a hood scoop.
<<

At this early stage, I'm specifically trying to find pictures or a good description of the actual differences in the FI/serpentine accessories that make me consider the LT1 only. I'm also looking into costs, for a couple different levels of performance, from a basic stock-power-level engine to an aggressive streetable motor. If you could provide a basic list for each price level, that'd be great for me to follow up and research. Last I'm looking into durability - I'd like to be able to rev, and the car will be seeing a lot of DEs and road courses, so durability over many track weekends will be a big factor for me. Any advice you can provide on a wise sequential approach is greatly appreciated, or just give me any web links you have and I'll read.

I am in AZ - can you recommend local shops that have LT1 expertise?

As for why I'm considering the engine swap? I'm swapping into a Porsche 944 Turbo. The stock engine makes nearly 300whp if chipped, any more and costs go way up, like 2k at least for 350whp or so. Want 400hp? Give up any torque until 4k RPM and pay 5k to start. It's a slug waiting for turbo spool below 3k RPM. A barebones rebuild costs nearly 2k on that engine. I want the increased power, increased torque, lower costs, and greater reliability of the Chevy small block. Especially with the car being built for DEs and road racing, I would like to keep long-term maintenance costs down.

I'm not totally new to the Chevy V8s, family has a 2000 Vette, some of you may have spotted me over at CorvetteForum, but this engine is totally new to me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sam
Old 10-17-2004, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I sold my old throttle body to rkussy over at camaroz28.com and he had a lt1 in a 944, you may try pming him over there. I don't think he really gets online much anymore so i don't know how much luck you'll have but its worth a shot. What's actually interesting is he told me the lt1 he put in it actually weighed less than the 944 turbo motor.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen an LS1 swap, too. I think the guy had to reverse the engine intake to the rear, which was probably a PITA but still was good.

-Todd

Quick Reply: LT1 swap into Porsche 944 Turbo