Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another hybrid clutch story!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Another hybrid clutch story!

Just in case anyone else is struggling with a hybrid application like me and is needing to know about an LS1 to non-T56 clutch setup this is what worked for me.

I am installing an LS1 from a '98 Camaro into my '62 Chevy II Nova. I did not want to cut up the floor boards and wanted to feel like I was 18 again so I am using a Muncie 4 speed. I am not sure I wouldn't just use the T56 next time but anyway.

My dropout LS1 had the flywheel and starter. The stock LS1 clutch is a 12" or so. I figured I could just buy a new pressure plate and then a disc to match the Muncie input shaft. Most suppliers do not list the pressure plate separately now. I could not use a stock disc since it was 26 spline instead of 10. Well RAM offers all of the pieces separately. I got an 11 inch LS1 pressure plate (402L) and a new 11 inch 10 spline clutch disc. After removing the locating pins and getting the flywheel surfaced the assembly went together fine. It was at this time that a couple of items became apparent: the big flywheel would not fit in my bell housing and there may be an issue with the pilot bearing.

Chevy IIs were never available with the big 168 tooth flywheel. The 168 tooth flywheel is closest to the LS1 size. Since no stock Chevy II bell housing can be used for the big flywheel there was a problem. Chevy IIs also have the clutch fork at a peculiar angle. Instead of coming out at the 3:00 position like all of the other models it is at a 4:00 to 5:00 position. If not for this a stock bell housing for the big flywheel would have worked. The only solution I could think of was a scattershield. Same issue of clutch fork position with a scattershield of course. Lakewood makes a Chevy II scattershield so that is what I got. First thing I noticed was that the block plate would not bolt on an LS1. The bolt pattern is fine but there are castings that bolt on the back of the block that stick out past the mating surface of the block to bell housing unlike a regular small block. I carefully marked the areas that needed to be cut and went for it. The block plate fit fine then, the scattershield bolted right up, everything cleared.

This is when I read a posting about the pilot bearing being short. The Muncie input shaft started in the stock bearing but did not engage far enough. The back of the LS1 crank has 2 different bores. The deepest one is where the stock bearing sets. The one closest to the clutch is much larger. The posting said that you could either have a longer pilot bushing machined (which is sweet) or get a special bearing that fit in the larger bore. I went with that bearing and left the original bearing there. It did not fit tight in the crank so I used some shim stock to tighten it up. Everything fit great then and was well supported.

Only thing left was the throwout bearing. The scattershield may have messed with the spacing but I ended up needing the old 'long' bearing. With it the clutch fork is positioned right, there is plenty of throw, and it is solid. If that helps with even one question out there I will be pleased.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post and good info. You should copy and paste it into the FAQ at thetop of the forum

Pat
Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I was smart enough to do it I would. I'll take a shot at it.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 AM
8 Second Club

heheheh,
thanks for the great info!

Quick Reply: Another hybrid clutch story!