Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring the 5.3 up in a 96 S10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring the 5.3 up in a 96 S10 Blazer

I have my 5.3 in my 96 Blazer now and am looking for anyone thats done the wiring themselves on a similar swap. I'm keeping the Fly by wire, already have the pedal and module and harness installed. Checked with one of the sponsors and would have to get entirely new harness done (They won't modify my new 5.3 harness) Just don't have the money. Will be sending him my computer probably. If you've done something similar and all your guages and everything work, Let me know. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What exactly are you trying to figure out??
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My standard 1st question....have you read my wiring post in the FAQ sticky?

Ok and now to your question, I have done my own 5.3L harness and I know what needs to be hooked up on the harness, but your 5.3L must be newer since you have FBW throttle (what year is it and whats it from?), I don`t know what needs to be done for that because I don`t have access to wiring diagrams for a motor with it. I also can`t say exactly what wires you need to hook up to on your blazer since I don`t have any diagrams for it. If you have diagrams for either I can be more help, but right now I can only tell you what you need to do with most of the motor side wires.

Yeah some of the companies don`t want to rework truck harnesses because they take a couple hours longer to rework because you have to deal with a bunch more wires than an f-body harness. They aren`t really harder to do, just more time consuming .
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2005 Suburban 5.3,tranny,PCM and harness with fly by wire

Thanks Jones'n and G-body. I was looking for someone thats done a specific conversion on the 96 S10 to newer truck 5.3, just to see if they were able to use all there stock guages and make the ABS work. I have a few more weeks before I go back to work so I figure I'll take my chances and try modifying my own harness. Everything I have is from a 2005 Suburban 4x4. Its going in to a 96 S10 Blazer 4x4 thats going to be 2 wheel drive for now. The trans is a 2005 2wd 4lL60e from a suburban. From what I understand, I'll need the 96 computer to run the ABS and factory guages. The new computer will run everything else. If anybody knows otherwise, please speak up. I've got my harnesses all labeled now and am just trying to figure out what can be removed and what needs combining. I'm looking at getting a fuse and relay center from a 2004 Silverado at the yard and using that for the engine.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Default where is your post on wiring G-BODY?

I am getting ready to put an 05 5.3 L into my Jeep Cj-7. What is the fly-by-wire? will i have to deal with it? also G-body you said "have you read my wiring post in the FAQ sticky?"

which post? can you post a link to it or tell me where it is? i looked for it under several different forums but did not see it...

Thanks guys...
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the hybrid and conversion section at the top is a conversion FAQ section. Yes, I looked at it a while back, but went over it again looking for anything I missed. I'm aware of the stuff you do to make the engine run. But the stuff that is specific to the 96-97 S10's is what I'm interested in finding. Such as keeping the ABS and guages working. If you have a 2005 5.3 FATTCJ7, I'm pretty sure its going to be electronic throttlebody(fly-by-wire). Dealing with it is easy. It takes care of the cruise control too. Pedals and TAC modules can be found pretty cheap. I had to modify my pedal from a Suburban to fit in My S10 Blazer. Bend or cut and weld a new arm to the footpad if it hits your trans tunnel. The TAC module bolted right in where my old Cruise control module was. Bought the engine bay fuse and relay center today for $30 at salvage yard where I got the TAC and pedal. Soon going to start cutting and crimping. Hopefully won't fry my PCM or anything, LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Probably going to go to Alldatadiy for the wiring diagrams. So far my autozone manuals have done good enough, but they don't have anyhting for the flybywire either. Also couldn't find the oil pressure sensor wires in the schematics? I just had to look at the sensor and then find a matching plug to label.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Basically to keep your ABS you'll need the speed signal from the VSS going to the 96 truck computer as well as any powers and grounds.
You'll also need the front wheel speed sensors to the truck computer.
Beyond that, your LS1 computer can put out the proper signal for the speedometer and tach. Your temp gauge and oil gauge are controlled by dedicated sending units that go to the connector over the brake booster. It'll be very time consuming if this is your first go at it, but good luck with it.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by FATTCJ7
also G-body you said "have you read my wiring post in the FAQ sticky?"

which post? can you post a link to it or tell me where it is? i looked for it under several different forums but did not see it...

Thanks guys...

Post #13 in the FAQ sticky at the top of the conversions and hybrids forum.https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=13
Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys....i found the FAQ you all were talking about and it looks like it will come in really handy. I am so glad I found this Bulletin Board, doing my conversion without it would be sooo much harder.

Chris
++++
Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Wiring diagrams

Well, got me a bunch of wiring diagrams yesterday, with pinouts for the computer and even better, circuit diagrams that included connector numbers and pin locations and wire colors for everything. Showed every connector in the circuit. Everything but the cruse control circuit. I know the wires get into the TAC module connector so I have to go back and run continuity check on their pins back to all the same color wires that I haven't figured out yet in the Harness. I have a few connectors I have no idea what for. I was surprised the service manager at Chevy took the time to sit down and print me out a **** load,1/4 inch thick stack of diagrams. Asked me a bunch of questions about the swap also. All I bought was a shaped vacuum hose and connector for the brake booster,$10. Also, anybody know if I can tap into all the sensor lines before the 5.3 computer to run to my S10 guages since they aren't serial data type guages?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
Also, anybody know if I can tap into all the sensor lines before the 5.3 computer to run to my S10 guages since they aren't serial data type guages?
Not really, there is an output for the speedo from the computer and you want to use that one. If you tap directly into the VSS, it will not work. There is also an output from the computer for the tach, its setup for a 4cyl tach signal output so if your tach was from a V6 you will need to change the output with HPTuners or EFILive7. Your fuel gauge and voltmeter will not require any rewiring. For the oil pressure gauge you can put the S10 sending unit onto the LSx, either remove the LSx sending unit behind the intake and put your S10 one there, or drill and tap the cover above the oil filter and put the S10 one there. For the temp gauge you also have to either put the S10 temp sender in or run a 98 f-body temp sending unit.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:25 PM

I am doing a 03 5.3 in a chevy blazer and I am wondering how to wire it to make the motor run I don't care about the gauges just to start and stop with the key?

Quick Reply: Wiring the 5.3 up in a 96 S10 Blazer