Sponsored by:

LS7 in Third Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 in Third Gen Camaro

Hi Everyone,

I've been deciding on a new powerplant for my 89 IROC replacing the old tired L98 TPI. Now that the LS7 crate motor is available from GM I'm strongly considering that option. I'm seeing more LS1 swaps on these third gens so I'm hoping that the LS7 are pretty much the same as long as the K-members that are readily available now. Any advice and opinions on this project would be greatly appreciated. Quick note This car has not been modified or altered since I bought it brand new 18 years ago.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The block dimensions are the same as the LS1, so there are no issues there. The only thing I think I have heard that needs to be modifies is the oil pan and motor mount points on the k-member. I am sure there is alot more involved, some one else will chime in here that has done this though. You may want to move this thread over to the conversion section though. You will get better responses there.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Thanks. I'll transfer over to the other conversion forum. I'll know I'll have issues with the oil pan. In terms of the main ECU so I still retain all the other functions that would be in the Z06? eg. ABS, traction, anti-slip, etc.. I won't have those on the car.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IROCQ
OK Thanks. I'll transfer over to the other conversion forum. I'll know I'll have issues with the oil pan. In terms of the main ECU so I still retain all the other functions that would be in the Z06? eg. ABS, traction, anti-slip, etc.. I won't have those on the car.

No, there is no need for those things. The computer will not read those sensors cause there are not there. I would have the PCM tuned and have all those things eliminated.

Quick Reply: LS7 in Third Gen Camaro