Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harness questions

I have a truck harness that is stock and not modified. I have a chance to buy a LS1 Camaro harness. Which would be better for a foxbody mustang swap? Aslo what is the differences?

Thanks in advance,

Dogman
Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Depends on the engine you choose. If running a engine with truck intake and accessories then a truck harness will be best. Car intake and accessories then the car harness. Be more specific.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by showdog75
Depends on the engine you choose. If running a engine with truck intake and accessories then a truck harness will be best. Car intake and accessories then the car harness. Be more specific.
^ that

If you plan on reworking the harness anyway (and you probably will) then it wont matter a whole lot. But like he said, if you are swapping a truck engine then a truck harness but if its an LS1 then stick with the LS1 harness
Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Default More info

Originally Posted by FrossB
^ that

If you plan on reworking the harness anyway (and you probably will) then it wont matter a whole lot. But like he said, if you are swapping a truck engine then a truck harness but if its an LS1 then stick with the LS1 harness
Sorry I'm new to the ls swaps. I have a 2005 6.0 from a truck. I've bought some 243 heads and a ls2 intake complete with injectors and fuel rail. I read somewhere that the injectors have a different connector so I may have to use some sort of adapter.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Count the reluctor wheel on the crank. It it's 58x you can't run the '99-02 24x harness without a signal adapter...

What car is it going into?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
Count the reluctor wheel on the crank. It it's 58x you can't run the '99-02 24x harness without a signal adapter...

What car is it going into?

Thanks I'll do that but I seem to remember it's a 24x. Is the harness modification something that normal hotrodder can handle?

thanks again,

Dogman..........
Old 02-10-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

You can handle it. Take you time and stay organized. If you get flustered, walk away and clear your head.

www.lt1swap.com is your friend. Truck harness has a TON of extra wire because of the ugly routing. If you want to mount the computer in the trunk or under the back seat, use the truck harness. LS1 harness will be nicer looking if you don't want to separate all the wires out of the tape/loom.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Ask yourself if you want a 15+ year old harness?

What car is this going in? There are aftermarket ECU with new harnesses that you should also consider if your budget isn't super tight.

They can offer:
"Self tuning"
Flex fuel
2 step launch
Low oil pressure shutdown
High coolant temp shutdown
Traction control
Nitrous controller
Auto fuel correction
Boost control, boost by gear/time
Data logging

What are you planning to use the vehicle for?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Default harness

Originally Posted by gnx7
Ask yourself if you want a 15+ year old harness?

What car is this going in? There are aftermarket ECU with new harnesses that you should also consider if your budget isn't super tight.

They can offer:
"Self tuning"
Flex fuel
2 step launch
Low oil pressure shutdown
High coolant temp shutdown
Traction control
Nitrous controller
Auto fuel correction
Boost control, boost by gear/time
Data logging

What are you planning to use the vehicle for?
The swap car is a 19K mile 1991 black coupe mustang. The car currently has a 408W with TKO600 and is very strong but doesn't cruise at low speeds at all. I am 46 yrs old and prefer to cruise the car more now than I used to. So after looking at a coyote swap I decided to ls swap the car.

Where do I get a new harness with a self tuning ecu. That sounds great to me. The motor is a 2005 6.0 and I have a 4l60E but may try to locate a 4l80E. I rebuilt the shortblock and found a deal on a set of 243 heads. Bought a 228R TX speed camshaft with springs and a trunion upgrade as well. Nothing killer just a small bump in hp just wanting more driveability for cruise nights and such.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Dogman..............

Quick Reply: harness questions