Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LS1 is better than the 2JZ OR the 2JZ is better because...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supras def. earn a good compliment on thier power and speed.
But little engine, little potential.
Big Engine... You get the rest
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
The LSx is better because it's an American V-8 and doesn't sound like ***. End of discussion.
neither does an inline 6. just because its an import engine doesnt mean it sounds like a bumble bee. I6 and V8 both sound awesome in different ways. a v8 will never have the smooth powerful sound of an I6 but an I6 will never get the sheer terror inducing rumble of a big displacement v8. different strokes...different folks.... bla bla

the problem with the 2jz is most of the people who own them are RETARDED. they slap the biggest turbo they can on and go dyno racing. "i made 900whp on a stock block" yea congratulations, you now have a car that should run an 8 but runs an 11 because its got the WORST powerband anyone has ever seen in their lives. none of them have the slightest idea how to make a car fast. they just go for numbers. there was a tshirt i saw a few years ago that i wanted to buy but the guy took it down. on the front it said "Supra" (in the supra text) below it it said "ill race you from a roll." and on the back was a 1000whp dyno in typical supra fashion (no power till 5000 then 5-8000 goes from 250whp to 1000).

i love all things fast. i dont care who makes it or what it came out of. the 2jz is an AMAZING motor. there is no denying that. anything that can take 1000bhp on a stock block gets 2 thumbs up from me, its just unfortunate it came in a car that has a crappy import ricer wet dream aura around it. THE SUPRA ISNT A DRAG CAR.

a 4-500 hp 2j in another car thats better suited for what your are doing, is a VERY reliable and potent setup. as for a LSx into one, i say go for it. i love pissing people off. im disappointed the reaction has been so positive from both camps with my swap.

Last edited by Kamin; 08-20-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Launching!

It is amazing how so many people think "hp" and not torq. Torq is god, and little, peakey engines with turbos don't make much where a guy needs it: idle to 3500rpm. Hp makes the top end numbers (150mph +) but torq makes the daily driver. And how often are you going to drive around at 150mph??? I'll take the LSx any day. And for a lot less money, time, headache, etc: put a supercharger in place of the intake manifold (might as well do a cam, too) over a weekend and go bomb the rice paddies!!

Garret & Steve doing E30-LS1 aka 357is
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

first of all 2JZ is awesome engine. 1000hp on stock internals is impressive. i agree w/ Kamin in some parts. my friend owns a MK IV Supra non turbo, right now he is putting a T-61 turbo kit hes not the smartest person in the world lol. he doesn't know **** when it comes to tuning. but i pay my respects to MKIV Supra great cars, wish i had one and your hearing this from a Camaro guy. i own a 1992 Camaro RS i love my car to death but i would love to have a MKIV Supra beside it in my garage. LS1 is an awesome motor. maybe someone whos brave enough should put a LS7 in a MKIV. btw 2JZ doesn't sound like rice at all. BPU Supra is the best sounding import i've heard. dont get me wrong i loved the sound of LSx on longtubes. but in this thread my vote goes to the LSx motor stronger, lighter, bigger and best of all its says GM on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Teching In

LSX series ??? 2JZ isnt nothing but a waste of time
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Oh my god this is such a stupid argument. Both are good engines and both have their pluses and minuses. It comes down to preferences and driving style. Let's stop waving our dicks at each other to see who's is bigger shall we? It's making my eyes bleed
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1POWERED240
LSX series ??? 2JZ isnt nothing but a waste of time

lmao...ignorance is bliss. i agree with the post previous to mine, this argument is a waste of time, might as well argue whats better cats or dogs
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloganish
lmao...ignorance is bliss. i agree with the post previous to mine, this argument is a waste of time, might as well argue whats better cats or dogs

+1 for dogs
Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sloganish

Yeah and you are still posting here...
Old 08-24-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Is it only me that hasn't seen any supra lift the wheels? Someone point me in the direction of a video showing that please.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you think lifting the wheels has a direct correlation with how fast the car is? hell my friends van can lift the front tires but its slow as hell
Old 08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

it all comes down to just how broke you really are...
Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Well....

Name:  launch.jpg
Views: 12267
Size:  105.0 KB
it took me 3 seconds to find.. Anyways what does that prove? You can buy suspension that makes it easier for your car to lift the wheels.

The motors are both great in there own way.. Why do people try to compare to motors of complete different worlds?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

why is this even in an lsx forum... go talk about it with all the honda ricers..... the b16/b18 guys will bow down to a 2jz im sure
Old 08-25-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Wasn't trying to prove anything, I just never seen a supra lift the wheels, chill out.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Read the first post

Why is this even in an LSX forum?
Since this thread has popped up again, I refer my right honorable friends to the first post, which explains the need for this thread*. I'd say it has served it's purpose very well .

*This is also known as a variation of the "Magnesium Flare" theory. In order to divert attention away from you (or your topic that is attracting the wrong attention), you launch a flare (this thread) which burns hotter than the original, thus drawing all the attention to it instead of your thread.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

https://www.tigerjapanese.com/produc...oducts_id=1556

Now thats not a bad price on a 2JZ motor with trans and computer. I know I wouldn't mind finding an LS1 with trans and computer for that price.

As far as one being better than the other, if money is an issue - then the 2JZ might be a more cost effective swap.

Stock for stock I don't see a whole lot of a difference between the two, they make similar power and can all be made faster with some more money.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whytryz28
+1 for dogs

Yeah, as long as they're NOT "Supdawgzz"!!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

2JZ and LS1 hands down are the 2 most popular engines to do an engine swap. Comparing the two is day and night, it is just personal preference. I have seen LS1s in almost anything domestic, car and truck, and foreign from evo 8s, BMW 3 series, 240 SX, Toyota Corollas, and hell even an fwd Honda civic. Personally I love the sound of a turbo and love the sound of a V8. If I had the money I would make a take an S2000 and put an LS1 in it. I still have not seen that engine swap yet but I have seen the 2JZ in an S2000. Its bad *** but I think an LS1 with a lumpy cam would be even more bad *** due to the fact it’s a Honda S2000. If you hear it boost by it would be a normal thing to hear. Add a turbo to a V8 and you have the whole band playing. That’s one on the reasons why I love the Grand National so much. Sounds like a V8 with a turbo. They are both respected motors but if you’re not down with interracial sex, then I guess these engine swaps are not for you
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alt
https://www.tigerjapanese.com/produc...oducts_id=1556

Now thats not a bad price on a 2JZ motor with trans and computer. I know I wouldn't mind finding an LS1 with trans and computer for that price.

As far as one being better than the other, if money is an issue - then the 2JZ might be a more cost effective swap.

Stock for stock I don't see a whole lot of a difference between the two, they make similar power and can all be made faster with some more money.
Not a bad price? Those are used engines that you just have to assume are in decent shape. I can go find a wrecked f-body and probably get a much better deal than that for the engine and tranny. But I would rather have a new motor.

Stock for stock the LS1 is better. It is lighter, puts out more peak power and has a better powerband.

The internals comparision doesn't show which is a better motor. The cost of LS1's would be a bit higher w/ forged internals and at stock trim they don't need them. Especially when a lot of people don't even mod them. Nothing is stopping anyone from putting forged internals into an LS1. If you can't afford them then building a 1000hp car probably shouldn't be a goal of yours in the first place.

Originally Posted by v8hunter
I remember when I had only some bolt ons (not quite bpu) in my old (automatic) supra I raced an 2001 ws6 with afr heads, healthy cam, & bolt ons at the track. I ran a few tenths faster than him with just over 2 mph higher trap speed. I have the timeslip somewhere..it was something like 12.2 @ 118 for me and 12.4 @ 115.7 for him. The reason why I have my fbody now is because back when I had a supra I heard of stories of some ls1 fbodys being high 12 second cars stock and I coudn't afford another tt supra (I'm not much for the styling anymore either). I wonder what a torque convertor and drag radials or spraying nitrous would have done for the old supra.

Call me a hater or a ricer, but really I just care about what is faster...that's why I'm considering ditching the fbody for a terminator.

My .02
Umm... yeah, and I see 450-550rwhp Firebirds running mid 12s all the time.

Here is a H/C/bolt-on LT1 Firebird that is running 9s (at over 3400lb weight)
http://www.advancedinduction.com/Abare.html

Quick Reply: The LS1 is better than the 2JZ OR the 2JZ is better because...