Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thirdgen f-body oil psi ? with ls1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thirdgen f-body oil psi ? with ls1

alrighty I had my stock cluster connected to the stock ls1 oil psi guage and I noticed my oil psi dropped to about 15 psi (give or take maybe even lower) and it did not rise with rpm it just stayed real low on the guage. never dropped even with key on eng. off

so I was thinking I would check out the sender with my fluke and see if it would read like it should. so I look at the service manual which says 0 psi will read 0 ohms, 30 psi will be 500 ohms, 80 psi will be 1000 ohms.

ok needless to say the sender was bad and was stuck at 8.2 ohms until I tapped it while upside down and water started to come out! yes water not oil. with some rust

anyway I thought 8.2 ohms and was reading on the guage? so I looked at my thirdgen cluster specs and saw they read 90 ohms at 60 psi! how very odd I never see any mention of this.

so my question is are you guys pegged all the time on your guage then? or did you run an adpater to the m15x1.5 thread to use your stock sender?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no replys? must be alot of pegged guages
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I don`t know about the f-body guys, but on my El Camino I just used a metric to american adapter and put my factory El Camino sending unit in the LSx motor.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gm manual for 98 camaros must have an added 0 on each of those specs. I got a new sender from gm and did a bench test like I did for the faulty one and thinking about the readings from the new sender they are all roughly like

1.3 ohms = 0 +/- psi

45 ohms = 30 +/- psi

guessing it goes on like this. should be real close to what the stock guage would use. either that or the new one is off too but is just right for my car

Quick Reply: thirdgen f-body oil psi ? with ls1