Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested I think I could track down all the mounting stuff, headers, driveshaft, radiator and maybe subframe spacers that came off my old car. It hasn't been around for years but the parts are still at a buddy's place.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****, this is awesome. Seriously, amazing job.
Wow, I wonder how an LS would fit my AE86.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Man I'd love to do this swap in my 84 GT. This winter I'm thinking maybe a stock 5.3, T56, and a Ford 8.8. Do you have any advice for my potential swap? Other than boost the 5.3 lol. That'll be after I get tired of all that new power
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

You probably don't need to do the 8.8 swap right away. I ran mine for a long time before I got axle hop and broke the rear u-joint, never had an issue with the pumpkin itself. The car is a ton of fun with that much power.

Originally Posted by Joshfloman
Man I'd love to do this swap in my 84 GT. This winter I'm thinking maybe a stock 5.3, T56, and a Ford 8.8. Do you have any advice for my potential swap? Other than boost the 5.3 lol. That'll be after I get tired of all that new power
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Why do people keep saying that this is a sleeper?

It's a rwd Toyota... when has anyone, ever, left a rwd Toyota unmolested? The supra is a Celica, and supras are generally considered to be fast... not sleeper... cars, so why would you just assume any other rwd Celica to be slow? Everyone and their brother stuffs single turbo 2jz motors in those things and drive them into the 10's all the time.

There's nothing "sleeper" about any rwd Toyota... Just too many 2jz swaps driving around to think for a second that it would be slow.

Anyways, to the OP, nice work, sir. Nothing like a 6000 mile road trip to make sure you did it right. Really cool car. Good job.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Most people I met didn't even realize it was rwd, they just assumed that a celica would be fwd since every one made since 1986 has been. That combined with smog Era styling and a generally faded paint job and my car would often get overlooked. It changed a little when I put 275/40/17s all the way around but not many people noticed that till it was too late.

Nobody suspected it, hence sleeper.

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Why do people keep saying that this is a sleeper?

It's a rwd Toyota... when has anyone, ever, left a rwd Toyota unmolested? The supra is a Celica, and supras are generally considered to be fast... not sleeper... cars, so why would you just assume any other rwd Celica to be slow? Everyone and their brother stuffs single turbo 2jz motors in those things and drive them into the 10's all the time.

There's nothing "sleeper" about any rwd Toyota... Just too many 2jz swaps driving around to think for a second that it would be slow.

Anyways, to the OP, nice work, sir. Nothing like a 6000 mile road trip to make sure you did it right. Really cool car. Good job.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

I guess my limited knowledge of what those cars are capable of disqualifies me from the "most people" category.

Granted, I've seen people call their corvette a sleeper. As well as several cts-v "sleeper" builds. Apparently most people are easily fooled into thinking these cars are slow. Lol.

You have yourself a rad Celica. Please don't let my rants about the definition of the term "sleeper" subtract from how awesome your car is.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever seen what a stock TPI C4 Corvette runs in the 1/4 mile? Not what I would call fast by any measure...

That Celica is a sleeper if it's quiet. Most don't even know wtf it is, let alone that it's RWD and that someone can swap a V8 into it.

Some people call my car a sleeper, but I don't know about that...
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

I don't want to muddy up this thread debating the clearly arbitrary definition of "sleeper". Obviously the definition changes from person to person.

Went round for round on a mustang forum when the Hellcat Challenger first came out. We argued back and forth about the definition of muscle car vs. pony car... blah blah blah.

Ultimately, it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Sleeper or not, the OP has a damn cool celica.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Nice

I'm about to swap in a carbarated 350. What do I need to do to get it to fit?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron Halen King
I'm about to swap in a carbarated 350.
We can tell
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

I'm about to swap in a carbarated 350. What do I need to do to get it to fit?
Cut out EVERYTHING in the way, and weld it in. Including fuel lines.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Wow, 4 year old thread revival.

To make it fit: empty engine bay, place engine in bay, modify all parts as needed during reinstall. Super simple.

All joking aside: lower front subframe, use RCAs to keep geometry close, move radiator in front of cross member, hammer firewall to make room for headers, build custom headers, build engine mounts, cut hole in hood for carbarator (did I spell it right?), built mount for transmission, extend rod on gas pedal to get correct pull length for carburetor. That will make it fit, then you have to sort out fuel system, cooling system, gauges, fans, starter wiring, etc. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Carburetor...… carbureted.... school over.... just use EFI!
Old 04-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Need kit please

Please post a kit . So I can follow and others of course
Old 04-02-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please post a kit . So I can follow and others of course
No such thing...
And the fact that you are talking about a carbureted 350 shows you have no idea what you are doing OR where you are posting. This is a forum about GM LS engines, which do NOT include 350's.

Last edited by G Atsma; 04-02-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Default novice panicking?

Sry this is my first swap. just saw the reply. We are sitting at the table digusing it. agreed efi would be better and cheaper in the long run . I have a t5 transmission any insight on that . I was thinking if not maybe an r700.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
No such thing...
And the fact that you are talking about a carbureted 350 shows you have no idea what you are doing OR where you are posting. This is a forum about GM LS engines, which do NOT include 350's.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Default Thanks this has helped

Konwing what I'm getting into really helps. It's a 350 out of a van 4 bolt main. thinking of keeping the stock exoust manifolds. Do u think that might help? Or just costom headers?

Originally Posted by RWDCelicadude
Wow, 4 year old thread revival.

To make it fit: empty engine bay, place engine in bay, modify all parts as needed during reinstall. Super simple.

All joking aside: lower front subframe, use RCAs to keep geometry close, move radiator in front of cross member, hammer firewall to make room for headers, build custom headers, build engine mounts, cut hole in hood for carbarator (did I spell it right?), built mount for transmission, extend rod on gas pedal to get correct pull length for carburetor. That will make it fit, then you have to sort out fuel system, cooling system, gauges, fans, starter wiring, etc. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take this to a forum that deals with the old small block Chevy. This forum is about LS engines. You might get more answers there.

Quick Reply: Celica tuned and road tested