Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got the fule system rigged up :

but there was a small problem; the car would not start nor turn over. i can hear the starter click but nothing else. i tried jumping in but no luck eihter.

the other bad news is that the motor is hard to turn , i never spun it with the heads on , but its a bithch to do so now. i have a feeling i must have folded one of the oil rings again
which means the motor has to come out and get torn appart again
Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Ouch. Sorry to hear man. I wish you the best.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude good work, just one thing NEEDS A BATH!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 AM
8 Second Club

loool , why should i wash it if its only going to get dirty again

i'll see if i can pull the engine out tonight ( should be easy since the tranny isn't attatched, and with some luck i should have the bottom end exposed tonight too.

on a positive note , i had to level the engine from side to side last night ( it was sitting tilted when compared to the k-member) and noticed that after i leveled it out i should be able to mount the blower without the notching of the core support ( too late for that )

any how , i guess its back to work for me
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
did that engine come out of a mud truck?
Just what I was thinking...
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

Damn man with all that dust i would be scared to run a blower or a turbo on that thing i would just stick to the n20 setup that way you dont have to worry about dust getting in there or any where else for that matter.But g/l on the build man looks like its goin to be nasty i doubt anything out there would give it a run for it's money once it's all said and done......
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 AM
8 Second Club

we got dust filtration down to an art ( or so i think )

you just have to clean the filter more often . now if it it would only rain here ,,,, would make life alot less dustier ( hasn't rained in about a year! )

as for keeping up , you should see some of the nasty fast stuff we got here , this thing is considered average to slightly above average! there's a built ls7 rx 7 ( with N2O!), ls2 rx7, ls7 silvia with N2O, a few ~1000 hp vettes , nissan patrols with big turbos.... and offcourse the crotch rockets just to name a few
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

how are you guys getting parts so fast over there?

Last edited by jay_lt4; 08-13-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
8 Second Club

ups, dhl, fedex , and the one i use the most is aramex ( basically a freight forwarding company that gives me a u.s. mail box adress and forwards the contents over here twice a week)
Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

well i ripped the engine out of the car today ( cool thing it took about 20 min - no trans attatched ), but not after trying to fire her up one last time . when i went under to check if the starter was at fault i noticed that the gear was out and still contacting the flexplate. i also noticed that the battery was not charged or had very little power - even though i jumped it for two hours straight last time.

i then put the thing on the engine stand and proceeded to take stuff off , i took the heads and the oil pan , i then removed the windage tray . thets when i saw some scuff marks on one side of the tray - and they looked fresh ...... so i'm starting to think could this be the cause of the rough spots or were those scuffs there from before. so i spin the motor and it spins freely. what i also noticed is that the windage tray has some side to side play in it when you lay it down, which led me to belive that the tray was bolted with it sitting more to one side before, which caused the contact.

any how , to double check , i spun the motor with the heads off and there was acceptable resistance , so i go to the camaro and try the same and it was harder to turn ( duh ), which is a good sign .

so i proceed to bolt the heads and rockers, and spin it again and compare it to the camaro : same effort!

so , i'm assuming that i solved the problem , it was actually a combination of two : bad starter/ battery and internal scuffing if you may call that on the windage tray.

so just to make sure , i'l be getting a new starter ( i need one as a spare since the original one is "wrapped" by the headers and i don't know how long it would last), and i'll be swapping the battery from the camaro just to make sure .
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep us updated man.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 AM
8 Second Club

no problem , but it will be a couple of days before i can do any thing cause i will be out of town .

i 'm trying to get it done as soon as possible cause the guys over here are about to start a " fastest street car in town " kind of deal , and i'm just itching to talk some smack (don't want to be the one opening his mouth with nothing to back it up )
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
8 Second Club

it lives !

well after messing with the starter issue for a while , i found out that the starter was ok , and it was the fact that the engine was not grounded properly that was causing the issues i was seeing coupled with a weak battery.

i fired her up today and got oil pressure . i had to shut it down cause i had no coolant in there .

so tomorow i'll proceed with finishing up the cooling system, bolting the blower , running the pipes from the blower to the intercooler , hacking up the front end some more , and if i have time , push that sucker on the lift ( after i get the camaro off of it )
Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 AM
8 Second Club

well after filling it up with coolant and starting her up again , i noticed the car was starting to missfire and was getting harder to keep ideling . it was also pouring black smoke out of the exhaust . so i shut her down and ran out of the garage for some air
. when things settled down i pulled a plug ( well all of them ) and they were all black and covered up in wet soot.

at that moment i thought great ! this thing will never seal the chamber , then it hit me ...... i never reprogramed it for the 75 lbs/hr injectors

well today i did that and cleaned the plugs , and now she purrs like a kitten ( like a kitten with a monster cam up its a$$ )

the blower sounds so mean on that thing , i think i have to find a way to quite it down ( yeah , like that will happen )

i should be putting it on the lift today , and then i can slap the trans in there, do the intercooler piping , start on the fuel system, and later on do the interior and electrical work.

here is how much clearnacce i have between the blower and the radiator & core support now :

Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

i finally got the car on the lift
so now i can put the tranny in and start with the fuel system.
i also got some 90 deg bends today ..... too blingy for my taste but thats what was available

i guess tomorow i'll stab the trans in , drop and drain the tank in preperation for the sump, and finish up the damn intercooler piping. i just have to stick two 90's on the driver side from the blower to the intercooler and then run a u- bend on the other side after i weld the BOV flange on it . then it just curves straight up to the t-body.

i might even start running the fuel lines too
Old 08-23-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool build. I'd love to see the street scene in the Middle East. Best of luck with the build!!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 AM
8 Second Club

Thanks!
cool thing is that "street" racing is not a crime here
and better yet , were just at the begining of a racing boom over here (no pun intended )
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
Thanks!
cool thing is that "street" racing is not a crime here
and better yet , were just at the begining of a racing boom over here (no pun intended )
You guys are so lucky in that sense. Love the build man I bet that thing is going to fly with that blower on there. Sure beats filling a bottle all the time.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

dude ur a lony what the hill are trying to do to the guys stop brain washing people into puting force fed ls1s into evry thing that moves becouse you alredy got me buying a syclone and maby puting an LS1 with a kenybill in it

man LS1s Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllle
Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
...and now she purrs like a kitten ( like a kitten with a monster cam up its a$$ )
That's gotta go into someone's sig, I'm sure...

Quick Reply: 1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D