Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D

i was planning on starting this project a bit later , but i guess things happen for a reason

i was planning on converting my ls mustang from a nitrous car to a forced induction car. why?? cause it already had my camaro's old 8.5:1 408 swapped in it and i got tired of refilling bottles and worrying if i had enough juice to finish a few rounds of racing .

so to make this short , here is a link to the thread in the N2O sction showing you what happened that made me decide to begin this swap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...63#post9751263

so , future plans include the following :

-F1-R ( off the camaro offcourse )
-fixing what ever is the problem with the engine
-front mount intercooler and plumbing
-complete new fuel system
-redo the electrical wiring through out the car
-new fiberglass hood
-rebuild the tranny
-new guages for boost and fuel pressure
-fix the non functional rear brakes
-trying to clean up the car in general and maybe , just maybe a paint job

i have most of the parts in ( will snap pics tomorow), i just need to see what is wrong with the engine and order what ever needs to be fixed and hopefulley it would be a quick process ( i just jinxed it ).

wish me luck!

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 07-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 AM
8 Second Club

started to rip the engine apart , i got everything off of it , just too lazy to unbolt the torque converter.

i should have the short block out today, and then i can see if there is any rod damage or bearings hammered. i'm also worried that i might have to ditch the stock fans inorder to get the blower to fit. and i might need to move the radiator forward. which will suck cause there is barely enough room infront of it already to fit an intercooler .

the game plan is:
-get the engine out
-fix it
-redo paint and wiring in the engine compartment
-relocate tranny cooler to the pass fender opening
-put the engine back in
-start mocking up and fitting the blower
-the other stuff

here are a few progress pics:

Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not scale the shot down and leave the unit on the car for those "uh oh he's out in front" occasions?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
8 Second Club

the direct port will be off the car , but the single nozzle will be on it , thinking of hiding it too
Old 07-18-2008, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

did that engine come out of a mud truck?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
did that engine come out of a mud truck?
Maybe he lives on a dirt road........I do and it Fing sucks
Old 07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he lives in the middle east, saudi arabia i think???? the whole country is a dirt road...
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^ thats funny
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

its true, you should see some of his videos, i thought it was arizona! crazy!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
8 Second Club

loool, i son't drive it offroad that much

its the frikk'n sandstorms we've been having lately ( no rain in oh,,,, 9 months!), they get sand everywhere , add to that all the oil leaking from that motor . and you get what you see ( plus the damn camera i use shows dirt alot worse than it it really is !

you also have to remeber , this car has to look crappy , its this same crappyness that pisses off all the exotic car guys who i race here after i beat their maticulously detailed rides
Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
8 Second Club

check the link above for the latest findings

i'll be taking the heads to a machine shop soon to have them checked.

i'm starting to get worried about intercooler fitmen right now. the radiator is tilted with the bottom part sticking out a bit , and the intercooler needs to go there , and i barely have enough space as is to fit the blower. i know i'll have to ditch the stock fans and put thinner ones. my options are as follows:

- push the intercooler as far forward as i can ( having it stick out throught the bottom of the bumper ) while still retaining the ls1 radiator .

- get a smaller radiator off a toyota hilux ( see the "mother of all mustangs build" for pics of that) that is smaller , which gives me room to mount the blower and the intercooler , while sacrifising cooling as well as requiring a seperate pressurized expansion tank.

- hacking the bottom core support and fabbing mounts for the intercooler and a mitsubishi evo radiator ( its just as wide as the engine bay but not as tall, can be mounted vertically - see same thread as above).

we'll see how bad it is when i take the crap off the front end

here's how it looks so far

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 07-19-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:27 PM
8 Second Club

ripped the whole block appart and i can't find and exact cause of the knocking noise.
on a positive note, i found a set of weisco pistons locally that would fit the bill just fine all i need to do now is order a set of rings.

i removed the direct port stand alone fuel system that was in the passenger side front fender: ( one of the few things i was proud of )

i also took the front end off the car as well as the bumper: ( here you can see how much space i have to work with if i kept the bumper )

i then proceeded to mock up the intercooler :

i was planning on relocating my tranny cooler to the hole in the pass. side inner fender left after i removed the fuel cell, after mocking the intercooler in its place , it almost seems i don't need to move anything . i might just do it to help cool the motor down ( one less heat sorce infront of the radiator). it would probably be done like azooooz's stang ; with a cooling fan bolted to the cooler.

i was also planning on ditching the front bumper and slicing up the front facia, but it seems like i just might be able to use the bumper with very little cutting , and the same goes for the facia: the only cutting would be to the outer edges of the bottom opening to clear the pipes going into and out of the intercooler.

it also seems like i can still run the ls1 radiator as is but with slimmer fans. will have to put the motor back in and mock up the blower to see if that holds true

tomorow i'm planing on removing the single nozzle N2O system , removing the big pile of old ford engine harness i bundled up behind the pass headlight and claning that up. i might also mount the water injection pump somewhere. if i feel like it after all that , i might even raise the rear of the car high enough to get the tranny out from under the car to tear it down and inspect it .

what i really need to do is redo the engine bay wiring , but that will be an all day progect for the near future

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 07-19-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

might also be a good time to drop the tank and drain it in preperation for a sump install
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
8 Second Club

the intercooler is firmly affixed to the car , i hacked up the bumper some more to clear the intercooler . off course i forgot to bring the camera, so i'll have to snap pics tomorow.

i'm planning on relocating the cooler tomorow , as well as begin plumbing the intercooler piping ( i can only do 2 u shaped bends from the sides, untill i get the motor in so i know where the rest will fit.

i should have the engine finished by friday evening if all goes well. and if i'm lucky ( which i think not) i might ddrop it in that night

i also noticed the power steering reservoire hose ( low pressure side) is beginning to weep , so i guess it was the wrong type of hose will be changing that out soon .
Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 AM
8 Second Club

well we're back on track again
here is the intercooler finaly fixed in place :

and the engine is in too:

the tranny cooler has been re located to the opening in the passenger inner fender , it will also have a small cooling fan to assist in cooling.

the tranny is out to be checked and refreshed , and i ordered an SFI flex plate that should be here some time next week.

now that the engine is in , i can start the intercooler plumbing and mount the blower, bov , and drive system as well as cleaning up the engine compartment.
after that ( assuming i get the camro's super pulley and trans shield in next week and i install them ) i 'll take the camaro off the lift and put the stang on it and start the fule system .
planning on sumping the tank, two external pumps and filters, new fuel line to the engine, regulator, and reuse the stock feed line as a return. i'll be using the camaro's old l-92 manifold, 75 lb injectors , and fuel rails .
Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

My GOD that thing is nasty........I love it.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
the tranny cooler has been re located to the opening in the passenger inner fender , it will also have a small cooling fan to assist in cooling.

That's pretty slick, I might just have to copy that idea on another project...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
8 Second Club

part of the appeal of this car for me is that it looks sooo nasty and cheap , that you never give it a second look when you see it pass by , think of it as an excersize in "good enough engineering "

best part is the look on people's faces after you rip them a new one ( especially exotics ) !!!

any how , enough gloating on with the updates :

finally got the fan on the cooler , just need to wire it now:

i also installed the intake, rails , and tb, and mocked up the blower bracket and checked the alignment and shimmed it accordingly:

this is where i found out how big this blower is
as you can see , i ran out of space

the blower actually touches the core support depending how you clock it . i have two options on how to run the pipes:
the first would be just like i have it on the camaro , pointing towards the passenger side and down:

then making a u turn into the passenger side intercooler inlet, the exiting from the driver side and snaking its way into the inner fender and entering at a 3 or 4 ocklock position ( looking at the front of the car ), which means i can't use thea spot on the inner fender for the meth injection pump and resv. , and i have a feeling that with the pipe in the 3 or 4 oclock position , it would feed the passenger side more air than the driver side ( read on to know what i'm comparing it to)

the second way is to clock the blower like so :

then the outlet would just make a u turn into the driver side intercooler inlet ( the u- bend i have fits perfect- just needs to be trimmed a bit), then from the pass. side intercooler it would make another u turn and shoot stright towards the center of the car , then 90 deg up into the throttle body ( entering from the 6 oclock position ), this way i'm sure both banks will get and equal amount of air, meth , and whatever i'm going to spray up that tube

in both cases i have to move the radiator forward some more , there is not enough room for the filter and elbow ( note, this is without the radiator inplace ) :

this also means i have to move the intercooler farther out ( well at least the bottom part of it ) so the radiator can clear it .

after mocking up things i was thinking of just hacking up the core support and using some round tube fab me up a new one ( like we did on azooooz's stang), but after clocking the head unit like i mentioned in the second way , it became apparent i can keep the core support and only notch it a bit to make room for some movement .
mr. angle grinder will be busy tomorow

so , if i'm lucky tommorow and get the blower all nice and comfy in its place , i'll start re locating the intercooler and radiator and if i have time , maybe begin the piping process ( i wasn't expecting putting the manifold and bracket on would take so long). i should also clean under the car so i can lay down there while i install the starter and the pass side header.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

mr. angle grinder and mrs BFH went to town on the core suport , i now have clearance for the blowerand any movement that might take place . off course i just relized i didn't take a picture of the aftermath

any how, here is how the blower looks when you remove the radiator (for future refrence):

i managed to relocate the radiator forward inorder to clear the blower , i think i have it a good 3 inches forward now. i just bolted extension peices on the ac condenser tabs on the bottom of the support and bent them upwards to sandwich the radiator between them and the upper rad. hold downs. i can now install my air filter :

off course that meant i had to relocate the intercooler ( again ) to clear the radiator. i was planning on tilting it more by pushing the bottom part out some more, but then i relized that i can lower the intercooler a bit and it would fit real nice in the bumper!
i guess the first time i set it up i was planning on using the inside bumper ( i still can , i just need to trim it). i also am debating wether i should trim the whole bottom peice of the bumper or not? you can see here how low the intercooler is and how the bottom part is in the way :

here you can see how the intercooler barely shows from under the plastic peice, it used to butt up against it before:

i never got to the "installing the starter and passenger side header " part , and i don't think i'll do it tomorow. most likely , i'll mount the blower, finalize intercooler braces , and clean up the place ; its a mess !

after cleaning it , i'm thinking of fabbing up a patch plate to close the hole i made in the core support to stiffen it a bit , right now its only there for moral support
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 AM
8 Second Club

quick update, the tranny is done, and the new flexplate just came in and will be installed tonight .

i'll be finishing up the temporary connections to the fuel system tonight , and installing the header and starter and firing her up to see if all goes well.
i think i'll use the n20 fuel cell and stuff to get the car to start .

Quick Reply: 1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D