Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/5.3/6.0 in a truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/5.3/6.0 in a truck questions

Hey, im thinking about a LS series swap into a truck for myself sometime in the future. Right now it seems that the engines that make the most sense are the LS1, 5.3, and the 6.0. The LS1 is pretty expensive compared to the two truck engines from what i have seen. I have some general questions about this type of swap. All questions are asked assuming a weight of no more than 3800lbs, hopefully more in the 3600lb range and with 2WD in an S-10 sized truck.

What fuel mileage can i expect assuming that I manage to keep RPMs low at highway speeds? Will there be a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the three engines?

Is there much weight difference between the three?

With the truck engines I would already have the powerband right where i wanted it, would an LS1 be more peaky than you would want for a truck as it comes from an F-body?

What transmission could I use for this application? I really want to be able to get as good a highway mileage as i can, but this is also going to be a real truck that has to work for a living atleast some of the time, so i do value drivability, towing, etc.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course the LS1 will be lighter. IMHO the 5.3 and 6.0 are better choices, they are a little heavier, but a lot easier to find and cheaper to purchase (unless you need all the f-body accys for clearance).

You will be happy with either the 5.3 or 6.0. The 6.0 is a bit more cash outlay to start with comp to the 5.3. The 6 doesn`t really have a lot more power than the 5.3l, but it has a bunch more torque. As far as fuel economy......in a truck from GM it seems like the 6.0`s are a lot more fuel thirsty, but in a lighter swap it doesn`t seem to make as much difference. I didn`t see a fuel economy diff when I swapped from a 5.3 to a 6.0. I get 14-18 in the city and 16-20 on the highway. And that is with a heavy right foot I usually have at least a couple WOT shots a day in the city, and highway speeds are 70+ spinning 2500rpm-3500rpm
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 Liter carbed in a 94 s10 with a 6 speed. If I drive it decent I can get 20 mpg. Not a typo!
Oh yea, it also has over 500hp NA

Last edited by SUPERWAKE502; 09-16-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: forgot something