Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Nova LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 Nova LS1

Hey Guys, I'm new this forum, cant begin to describe how much knowledge I've obtained just searching around....ok so here's what happened. I found a 66 NOVA post car...something I wanted forever but could never find for cheap. So I came across this car and want to with a LS1 swap and boost it. Going to do a single Garrett GT40R. I have a TCI front clip making the header issue easy....I've done swaps before and helped on other forums...I came from Ford...(take it easy on me) and put 302's in about everything they can go in...but learned a lot on the way regarding best plan of attack. Wanted to get your guys help in how I should go about doing this? I was thinking to just buy a crashed or beat up 98+ camaro....your thoughts? Thanks Again.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A company called Contemporary Corvette (aka Fparts) sells LS1 packages, I would check them out. Unless you can find a good deal on a part-out, which is a daily occurrence on this forum.

Just look around would be my advice. Welcome to the site, post some pics of the car!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome ex-ford guy ! another popluar swap is the LSx into a Fox body stang !.. that way you can have the best of both worlds !LOL...

You can go either way, buy a complete turnkey setup that will package everything you need, but the con is that, they usually are costly.

The other option would be to just buy a pull out or even the whole donner car. With all of the acc's, wriing harnless and PCM.. and go from there. Buying the whole donner car would be a plus if you need to get other part and can recover some cost by selling some parts, but as you stated, you have done this before (but with the Fords), but hot rodding is hot rodding. ford, chevy, dodge.. don't make no different.. you just need to do things a bit different but the results is the same.

I am sure your going to find what you need here on LS1Tech.. as there are many types of swaps, A search for ChevyII or Nova should find you many swaps to research.. sounds like you know what you want already.. good luck and if the rest of us here can answer any specific questions, ask away !
Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Cool thanks for the info...I bounced around the site...yeah my plan was to find a 98+ camaro z28 crashed or...and pull entire drivetrain...the probably go with a Speartech standalone or Painless...I've used painless in the past...super easy plug and play...just got to figure out header situation and anything else I maybe missing I may just buy the TCI ones for now or may just save money and begin the turbo headers....of course driveshaft will needed. I was thinking about going LT1, one cuz the motors/cars are dirt cheap. 2. because the motors are iron...may hold boost better? Not sure.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Pic...car needs quite a bit of work...sux somebody did patch panels on floor right over the old rusted floor...I was like this is gross....then I looked into a complete floor for the car...saw the price...then realized why they patched it...haha. otherwise car is pretty straight....its been painted 10 diff colors but previous owner sanded through them.
Attached Thumbnails 66 Nova LS1-66-1.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont mind the extra 80lbs.the iron block adds,get yourself a 6.o truck pullout or even cheaper a 5.3 pullout.They are not much higher tha lt1's and are a much better choice.If you can find a wreck for a reasonible price thats a plus but you get pretty much every thing you need with a pullout.If you try to buy it a peice at a time it will cost you much more.Usually several for sale right here on the boards,if you can buy locally you can save a lot of shipping cost plus look at it before yoy buy.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Cool thanks for the info....I guess what I'm looking for is some advise from you guys...about plan of attack...yeah LT1 cars are cheap as hell out here...I found a couple with beat bodies etc. for $1500. What would you do if you were executing this project? LT1? LS1? 5.3 LS1? etc.? Thanks Again!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I am also collecting LS1 parts, etc. This weekend I think I will have my LS1/4L60 combo and I am going to carb it.... I am building my own headers, etc. So we will see....
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Launching!

What exactly do you want / expect from the final build?
If you like a challenge then the LS series is the choice. It is not just a drop in like an LT1 engine. I find the drivability part much smoother and resposive(based on stock engines) then Gen 1 or 2 versions......
I am very happy with my outcome(and yet never finished), either way have fun with it!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have a complete ls auto........3k
Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

hello, love seeing ls1 swaps in novas... if you got any questions just ask
Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Cool thanks for the info guys! Ok so here's what I'm trying to do: Make about 600-700 HP single turbo car. Stand alone EFI for sure. Do you recommend Speartech. painless or? I've used painless in 302 conversions. No real complaints on than the fuse boxes but whatever. : ). ACON and 67 Pete I came across you guys in my search...both nice builds. I guess my question is this....if you guys were to do this over again learnign what you learned along the way which route would have gone? You think a 5.3 truck motor would suffice? Or would I be better off going LT1 or? I'm guna stock now and let you guys take over! : ) Thanks Again!

TCI front clip?
What should I do for rear? Dont want to break bank "yet" so Cal trac leafs or?
Which Mounts should I use?
Tranny? Will the 4l60E hold or is it a junk trans?

Thanks Guys!!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

i was going to do an lt1 and the ls1 fell out of the sky and so i went with it. the one think i dont like about the lt1 is that the ignition stuff behind the water pump. three house's down a guys has a trans am and in the five years i have lived here, he has replaced it three times. that just rubs me wrong about that.
i did spertech and are very happy with there work. i have heard some bad stuff about the painless kit for the ls1's
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Cool! I wonder if thats a common problem with the LT's? Maybe I should wait for an LS1 to fall out of sky for me...haha...I have found a couple smashed camaro's and TA's etc. 98+ for about $2000-$2500. You can actually buy a clean one for like 4500-5000 thats too much though...I guess I could part out rest of car but thats a pain. Cool so I will go with Speartech. What do you think about the truck 5.3's? 2002ish....those are dime a dozen 600-1000 whole changeover. and not as popular as a 5.7 LS1. I do want to boost so I'm thinking the 5.7 LS1 being all aluminum maybe negative...if I was going N/A no doubt the LS1. but?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 5.3 from a 2002 tahoe in my 69 impala. 6010 msd box and edlbr vic. jr intake and 600 holley carb. this engine is a monster. just have to change the oil pan for clearance of the ground. lh8 pan or moroso conversion pan would so fine.

Quick Reply: 66 Nova LS1