Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about hose....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about hose....

I have the 5.3 Tahoe in my 69 Impala. does the upper radiator hose run to the connection (large nipple) that is right above the serp. belt? and the lower hose to the lower connection by the bottom passenger side? And where does the little tube comming off of the heads go 2?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by burntrack
I have the 5.3 Tahoe in my 69 Impala. does the upper radiator hose run to the connection (large nipple) that is right above the serp. belt? and the lower hose to the lower connection by the bottom passenger side? And where does the little tube comming off of the heads go 2?
ANSWER: YES TO ROUTING

The small line is the steam line and should be routed into the system. Some folks use a Tee in the return hose that has a nipple in it. There is a older model vet that used such a Tee but I don't remember the year or part number. I purchased a 3/8 barbed brass nipple at Lowes and had my local radiator shop weld it into my stock radiator tank.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help rockytopper. i really appreciate it
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the top hose goes to the top fittng on the wp-the bottom hose goes to the fitting on the thermostat housing (the return is where thermostat is located, opposite of having it in the intake) i put a fitting by my inlet tube in the radiator for the little steam tube, or as mentioned, tee into hose
some of the wp's use 1 1/4" fittings, some use diff sizes, whatever you have you will have to find something
when you fill your radiator for the first time, pour water into the top hose and down into the engine besides pouring in the radiator, with the thermostat on the return side, water doesnt get into the block untill the thermo. opens, and it wont open untill it has water on the backside of it to get hot, so it needs to go into the top of the motor-when i first fired mine, i couldnt figure out what was going on, lol
Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by forcd ind
the top hose goes to the top fittng on the wp-the bottom hose goes to the fitting on the thermostat housing (the return is where thermostat is located, opposite of having it in the intake) i put a fitting by my inlet tube in the radiator for the little steam tube, or as mentioned, tee into hose
some of the wp's use 1 1/4" fittings, some use diff sizes, whatever you have you will have to find something
when you fill your radiator for the first time, pour water into the top hose and down into the engine besides pouring in the radiator, with the thermostat on the return side, water doesnt get into the block untill the thermo. opens, and it wont open untill it has water on the backside of it to get hot, so it needs to go into the top of the motor-when i first fired mine, i couldnt figure out what was going on, lol

thanks for that vital piece of info. i was wondering what the hell the problem was with mine.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

If your radiator tank is on top like mine it fills the block as you fill the radiator. Only the newer model side tanks would have this issue I believe.

Quick Reply: Question about hose....