Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions

Hey guys, I am in the process in getting parts together to swap a turbo 5.3 into a 86 regal, I was wondering if i can use a truck wiring harness and computer or should i find a camaro harness and computer, also I was wondering if i can use the truck harness does it have to be a 5.3 harness or would a 6.0 one work too, as for tuning i am planning on a local guy tuning it with hp tuners if that changes anything.

Also, I have a turbo 400 trans, now if i use the TCI 399753 flywheel kit, will i be fine to use a standard 400 Torque converter with it with no mods as the kit comes with the spacer?

now for the turbo i was looking at the master power turbos, I think the mp70 is the one im going to go with but i really dont know what AR to get they offer a .96 and a .68 on the mp70, I just want something that will get me running 10's on pump gas with the 5.3, if you think there is a better one that would fit my needs please let me know.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by 03supercharged; 10-23-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Josh, welcome aboard!

I'll only address the wiring/ECM issue, since the other stuff is a bit farther away from my comfort zone, & others will no doubt give you better advice.

The truck wiring harness and computer are what you'll want - I'm swapping a 6.2L (originally intended for an Escalade or Yukon) into my thirdgen T/A, & I'm using the truck harness/ECM. Your Regal is from the same time period, so some of the wiring info (from TGO) might apply to your swap as well.

Trying to use the F-body harness could bite you, since connectors and/or locations could have changed over the years (unless you had a '98 to '02 5.3, & were using the same-year harness, which seems a bit unlikely). I figure that the engine's going to run the same regardless of what it's driving, right? The custom program will just help you to make the most out of it.

Finally, the harnesses should be the same for the 5.3 or the 6.0, but you'll want to make sure that your ECM is programmed for the correct displacement (duh).

Good luck w/ your project, post pics & details as you're able to...
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my build thread over on ttf.com also look for Parrish on here he and his buddies have a stock bottom end 5.3 with a mpt-70 in the 9.50's

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=115570.0

You'll have to join to see the pics but it is def. worth it that site holds an incredible amount of knowledge.

BTW try not to steal too many of my ideas.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks v8rumble for the info, I think ill pick up the 02 silverado harness tomorrow and have it sent off to get reworked.

Topher455 your car looks really nice man, I dont think mine will ever be that nice, im just building this to take to the strip and have fun on the weekends, oh and i promise to not steal to many of your ides

One more question, is there enough room to make the crossover pipe go behind the motor, more or less like the factory y pipe, I have seen alot of truck guys go that route.

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by 03supercharged; 10-25-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Bump
does anyone know if all i need is the TCI sfi flywheel kit #399753 to put a turbo 400 on the 5.3, it says it comes with the spacer needed but i was wondering if that was all that was needed.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

bump
anyone?

Quick Reply: A couple questions