Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Just FYI, a 70 Nova is a Gen 2. Gen 1 is 62-67, Gen 2 is 68-74. And remember, underneath the Gen 2 Novas are the same as a 67-69 Camaro,
Typo, sorry bout that.

Looks like we have quite a bit of oil pan options. The BRP Camaro oil pan looks nice, so this one will work? http://www.brphotrods.com/Oil%20pan.html

Looks like speartech will be the way to go. Ive read countles threads mentioning John and speartech... Ive already contacted wait4me, so we'll see what they say.

Tanksinc is just what I was looking for. Like I said he really liked the intank setup and already planned to buy a new one.

Ill be looking for some threads on LS1 removal, ...just what to search for?...

Thanks guys, Ill be back soon to ask more questions!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, that pan (LH8) will work, however like I said earlier it really doesn't look too much lower-profile than the truck one, and on these subframes the truck one hangs low. But maybe someone who has that pan on their camaro/nova can chime in...

Another satisfied Speartech customer here, really can't go wrong with John.

The Tanks Inc. setup is pretty sweet, if I were to go with a whole setup that's what I'd want.

On LS1 removal, look into the camaro's sub-forum, or maybe search for "4rth gen camaro engine removal" on google or something. From my limited reading on this you pretty much disconnect the fuel, PS, and brake lines, then just un-bolt the front end sans grill & quarters. LS1 entrance into the Nova is just like an SBC, just take off the hood. Or if you want an easier time with just a little bit more work up front, unbolt fenders and remove the core support!!

Also, I always thought:

Gen 1 = 62-65
Gen 2 = 66-67
Gen 3 = 68-74
Gen 4 = 75-79

no?

... http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...splay.php?f=11

Last edited by frojoe; 10-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frojoe

Also, I always thought:

Gen 1 = 62-65
Gen 2 = 66-67
Gen 3 = 68-74
Gen 4 = 75-79

no?

... http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...splay.php?f=11
You are probably right on that. I have always considered the 62-67 as one generation because all their under pinnings are the same or similar at least. The sheet metal changed in 66, but the other stuff didn't until 68. I'll stand corrected. In any case the 68-74 Novas share the front subframe and suspension with the 1st Gen 67-69 Camaros.

Pat
Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Frojoe, you mention use of S&P mounts, and that they set the engine about an inch forward. What will that affect? Oil pan? Are they a direct bolton to the stock Nova mounts?

Looks like Speartech for harness. Tanksinc tank crossed with Schitzo's setup for fuel and factory sending unit. Theres no exhaust on the Nova so thats still in the air. New fuel lines we will route our selves. Camaro rad and fan. Still dont know about the oil pan, what route we should/will take... Missing anything? This isnt official yet, but so far the most likely route. We'll know more when I talk to him.

The TB is cable, so how could we set that up? Doesnt seem like it would be hard.

What can we do for a breather?

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 10-26-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mounts themselves aren't actually S&P, or carshop or ats for that matter. All those companies make plates which you mount a stock SBC motor mount to. The only difference between plates really is where they have the sbc mount bolt up to in relation to the length of the block. The S&P/carshop ones have it bolt up so that it moves the engine up relative to where a stock sbc would sit. So if you kept the stock trans in the car and put those adapter plates/mounts on an ls1 and dropped that in, the back of the ls1 would be one inch forward from the bellhousing. In order to get the stock f-body pan to fit the steering linkage, the engine would have to be moved back quite a lot, possibly right up flush against the firewall or further, so the only real fix is notching the stock pan or getting an aftermarket one.

Any non-stock true dual exhaust kit for a 68-74 nova will work, and likely require very minimal mods to mate up to whichever headers you choose.

The stock camaro TB cable should probably be long enough, if not a couple companies sell a cable kit to fit, including Lokar.

And a breather for what? Valve cover? Not sure about the camaro but on my truck engine there is a tube from valve cover -> intake which uses the intake vacuum to suck out the vapours. If the LS1 also has this, you could just plug the intake port and throw a filter on the valve cover port.

Last edited by frojoe; 10-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

The mounts themselves aren't actually S&P, or carshop or ats for that matter. All those companies make plates which you mount a stock SBC motor mount to. The only difference between plates really is where they have the sbc mount bolt up to in relation to the length of the block. The S&P/carshop ones have it bolt up so that it moves the engine up relative to where a stock sbc would sit. So if you kept the stock trans in the car and put those adapter plates/mounts on an ls1 and dropped that in, the back of the ls1 would be one inch forward from the bellhousing. In order to get the stock f-body pan to fit the steering linkage, the engine would have to be moved back quite a lot, possibly right up flush against the firewall or further, so the only real fix is notching the stock pan or getting an aftermarket one.

Any non-stock true dual exhaust kit for a 68-74 nova will work, and likely require very minimal mods to mate up to whichever headers you choose.

The stock camaro TB cable should probably be long enough, if not a couple companies sell a cable kit to fit, including Lokar.

And a breather for what? Valve cover? Not sure about the camaro but on my truck engine there is a tube from valve cover -> intake which uses the intake vacuum to suck out the vapours. If the LS1 also has this, you could just plug the intake port and throw a filter on the valve cover port.
I meant for the super charger, its currently hooked up to the SS's stock air lid. I was thinking maybe put a sand alone cone filter directly on the SC?

Guess we'll wait and see what we have to work with, with the factory motor mounts. And then maybe go aftermarket from there...

Good to hear if the TB cable doesnt work that we'll have options.

Still havent found anything on LS1 removal. All I could find is earlier 4th Gen Camaro threads, the ones with LT1s.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend making or buying/modifying a cold-air setup to grab nice cool air from under the bumper or in the fender. I was lucky enough to get a pre-made intake tube made for a chevelle, complete with couplers and clamps from a board member for a smoking price! All I needed to do was chop a bit off the end and it tucks a 7" cone fully under the fender, right behind the driver side headlight.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I remember now that they make DIY CAI. Looks like a good option.

So is there anything Ive missed in my list? post 24

Where is the ECM or PCM, whatever it is, located on the Camaro?

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 10-27-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using the new BRP mounts on a 69 Camaro and opted for a new LH8 pan. I am running an auto and it fits very well. I did not have to even shorten the shaft. I have about 5/8" end play on the shaft with the car fully loaded with hotchkis springs. My only issue right now is that I am waiting on BRP's stainless headers to come out. I am working on using the factory harness from a 98 and I have everything. The column has already been converted along with the booster. Here are some pics your Nova would fit exactly the same with maybe some more room up front in the radiator area since the rad support is different but basically everything else is the same.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!-dscf3094.jpg   Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!-dscf3145.jpg   Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!-dscf3146.jpg   Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!-dscf3147.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input 69 Ghost, any pics from below/underneath of the oil pan ground clearance?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a lift, you do like they said, unhook ps, brake lines to the front(from abs and plastic clip behind the metal shield), ac lines to compressor,exhaust y pipe,sway bar mounts to frame(a bracket on drivers side must be removed),cables,wires, and any vacuum hoses.remove master cylinder so you can get at the t50 bolts and 2 nuts on driverside to let complete suspension hang,remove 2 nuts and 2 bolts from pass side. place 2 jackstands under sides of kmember, and 1 under back of oil pan(or 2 with a 2x4 across them for th pan to sit on.lower everything down till it rests on stands, unbolt 6 18mm bolts that hold kmember to frame, lift body up and there you go. i just did one 2 days ago. i removed t56 trans first, you could support trans and leave it attached though
Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a pan, check out Eckler's Classic Chevy, PN 18-450. They *SAY* it will work, but it could be another LH8 (or whatever that is).

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....dept%5Fid=2225

Did I already mention Eckler's in this thread? I'm getting deja vu... I know I've mentioned it somewhere on here...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Looks like the LH8 pan (08 H3 Hummer) Trev, this is the one I used in my Nova. Cheaper thru Gm but they are on back order.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
if you have a lift, you do like they said, unhook ps, brake lines to the front(from abs and plastic clip behind the metal shield), ac lines to compressor,exhaust y pipe,sway bar mounts to frame(a bracket on drivers side must be removed),cables,wires, and any vacuum hoses.remove master cylinder so you can get at the t50 bolts and 2 nuts on driverside to let complete suspension hang,remove 2 nuts and 2 bolts from pass side. place 2 jackstands under sides of kmember, and 1 under back of oil pan(or 2 with a 2x4 across them for th pan to sit on.lower everything down till it rests on stands, unbolt 6 18mm bolts that hold kmember to frame, lift body up and there you go. i just did one 2 days ago. i removed t56 trans first, you could support trans and leave it attached though
Thanks for this info! Unfortunately the jack failed to lift the car. So were stuck at the moment. Ill call him soon to see what we can do...

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
For a pan, check out Eckler's Classic Chevy, PN 18-450. They *SAY* it will work, but it could be another LH8 (or whatever that is).

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....dept%5Fid=2225

Did I already mention Eckler's in this thread? I'm getting deja vu... I know I've mentioned it somewhere on here...
LOL, not sure if youve mentioned it or not. But looks like we will go BRP.

Originally Posted by Smo's04Gto
Looks like the LH8 pan (08 H3 Hummer) Trev, this is the one I used in my Nova. Cheaper thru Gm but they are on back order.
How long does it usually take to get someting on back order? It will take some time before we even need it. So maybe it could be in on time. Would we have to get a new pick up as well?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

2001 SS Camaro on left, soon to be mine 1994 RS Camaro in center, and my DD 1991 RS Camaro on the right... No pics of the Nova yet...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Launching!

sure like those red camaros, dont you?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
sure like those camaros.
Fixed...

The 2001 belongs to Wade (the friend who is doing the swap into the Nova). I get the 94 for helping with the swap. And the 91 has been my DD for quite sometime. They all just so happen to be red LOL.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

the Nova red too?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

the Nova red too?
LOL! No, its a dull black (and rust). But I believe the new fenders and hood are gloss black. Oh and the new hood is cowl Hes going to repaint it anyway... Doubt red
Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

So far... Driveshaft, AC lines, radiator, fans, throttle cable assembly, tourqe arm, partial exhaust, super charger, ABS control box, power steering res and various wires are removed. Among other things I forgot to mention.

I think were on a good track so far.

Quick Reply: Swapping an LS1 into a 70' Nova?!