Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skyline R32 LS3 - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice build... i hate the firewall though...
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deuce_454
nice build... i hate the firewall though...
Thanks! But why do you hate the firewall? I'm always happy for new inputs on work I have done...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Launching!

looking good are you going to go forced induction later of leaving it n/a?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dark Shadow
Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dark Shadow
Thanks! For now I'm going to use 98octane or E85, use it for one or two seasons, and maybe mount twin turbo, if I need more horses...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hello again!
Time for some updates!

Friday, a week ago, I delivered my car to my rollcage builder. Driving from Bergen to Oslo (Aproximly 550km), over mountains and so on... We used almost 12hours one way...

Below you can see how the car looked when we arrived at the builder...
(Click on the pictures to enlarge)

I also got parts for the undercarriage. I let the pictures speak for them self:

Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Very cool swap!

Im intrigued by this as i have a R32 GTS-T Skyline myself, and we have a couple 6.0L V8's here that i would love to use.

Ive been contemplating the idea of replacing the RB25DET in the car now with a LQ4, as the RB25 is pretty similar in weight to a LQ4.

Only thing im worrying about, due to the fact that yours is a custom firewall/trans tunnel, is whether the LSx would fit in w/ a T56 and need no modifications to the tunnel.

In your opinion, is a T56 too big to fit into a R32 tunnel?
How far off is the T56 shifter from the stock R32 location in your setup?

Ideally, id like to do the setup with minimal chassis modifications. Would fabricate my own motor/trans mounts, but just dont want to fabricate a new trans tunnel or cut up the firewall.

Not sure if this makes any sense to you.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91ZLS6
Very cool swap!

Im intrigued by this as i have a R32 GTS-T Skyline myself, and we have a couple 6.0L V8's here that i would love to use.

Ive been contemplating the idea of replacing the RB25DET in the car now with a LQ4, as the RB25 is pretty similar in weight to a LQ4.

Only thing im worrying about, due to the fact that yours is a custom firewall/trans tunnel, is whether the LSx would fit in w/ a T56 and need no modifications to the tunnel.

In your opinion, is a T56 too big to fit into a R32 tunnel?
How far off is the T56 shifter from the stock R32 location in your setup?

Ideally, id like to do the setup with minimal chassis modifications. Would fabricate my own motor/trans mounts, but just dont want to fabricate a new trans tunnel or cut up the firewall.

Not sure if this makes any sense to you.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi!
Thanks!
The engine and T56 will fit perfectly in a R32 tunnel without modification.
If you want a really easy swap, you could get a S13/S14 front cross member and use Zikky.com S14/S13 swap kit.
The drive shaft will not fit, as it is to short. I have only moved the engine about 1-2" back, and it would still clear the original firewall, but I'm unsure about the tunnel.

Take a look at this build:
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...n-t187852.html
He did not modify the firewall or the transmission tunnel, and the transmission stick ended up right where it should be...

LQ4 is a steel block right? then it would be the same weight as a RB25/26... A alu block setup is around 50-70kg lighter that a RB25/26 setup...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Morten_LS3_R32
Hi!
Thanks!
The engine and T56 will fit perfectly in a R32 tunnel without modification.
If you want a really easy swap, you could get a S13/S14 front cross member and use Zikky.com S14/S13 swap kit.
The drive shaft will not fit, as it is to short. I have only moved the engine about 1-2" back, and it would still clear the original firewall, but I'm unsure about the tunnel.

Take a look at this build:
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...n-t187852.html
He did not modify the firewall or the transmission tunnel, and the transmission stick ended up right where it should be...

LQ4 is a steel block right? then it would be the same weight as a RB25/26... A alu block setup is around 50-70kg lighter that a RB25/26 setup...
My hero!

Exactly what i was looking for!

LQ4 is the iron block version of the LS2. So it is similar to the RB25 which is what i had hoped.

Id fabricate it all myself. Mounts, crossmember, headers etc.

Getting the gears in my head turning now, this would be one hell of a car! Could add a pretty little T76 hair dryer infront of it
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Time for Updates!
This weekend I collected my car from my professional Cage builder, JH Linnerud, who builds WRC class cages...
And I must say, the cage looks Awesome!!

So the next stage is finish up the welds inside the car, Mount two new Sparco Pro 2000 bucket seats, weld some rust on the fenders and under the car, and finishing things up...

I also got more "Gifts" from DriftWorks.com,
Whiteline stabilizer bars, Front and Rear
Driftworks HICAS Total Removal Kit
Driftworks Adjustable Camber Control Arms (Rear)

But I'm still waiting for the following:
Driftworks Traction Control Arms

Pictures from the Parts that has arrived, will come later.
(Click the pictures to get a large picture)

Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Morten_LS3_R32
Thanks! But why do you hate the firewall? I'm always happy for new inputs on work I have done...
i think the build is absolutely top notch, and then the firewall has a bead that looks like tou did it when you were drunk.... i would fill the bead with bondo (plastic padding) and paint the firewall so people wont notice when you pop the hood...

everything else looks awesome. cant wait to see a video of it running... will you take it to MO ?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deuce_454
i think the build is absolutely top notch, and then the firewall has a bead that looks like tou did it when you were drunk.... i would fill the bead with bondo (plastic padding) and paint the firewall so people wont notice when you pop the hood...

everything else looks awesome. cant wait to see a video of it running... will you take it to MO ?
The shapes in the firewall is only for strength, so it really don't matter how it looks...

The car is a pure Race Breed, only for the tracks... If I would have used it for show or something, I would have made the firewall much nicer, but now, all they are going to notice is that huge LS3 Corvette engine...

Last edited by Morten_LS3_R32; 02-25-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Time for a update!

I have been busy working on the car, so I havent had time for updating the web page... it's only one month until the car needs to be finished...

The lift that I have used, broke down, so I needed to get a new one. The "New" one is 11 years old, but in realy good shape, and a hundreds of times better that the old one...
while I was whaiting for it to be installed, I placed my car under my brothers car, so I could work on the car, while whaiting for the new lift... When my brother wherent in the shop...

Click on the pictures to get a large view:

Made a firewall between the trunk and the cabin, to isolate the fuel cell and battery, according to the racing regulations in Norway:

I also managed to make propper mounts for the steering wheel, seat mounts and mounts for the hydraulic hand brake (Or E-Brake as some call it...):

Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Made a hole in the roof for the roof scoop, and made mounts for the gaspedal, and it looks nice:

Then I mounted the rear fenders (R34 Wide Body), and extended the inner fender to protect the fender from the exploding rear tires... :

The rest of the time has gone into the battle of the Rust... Now I have fixed both rockers (I'm not shure what its called) that goes under the doors, on both sides. I also closed some large holes on the rear of the car:

I have now begaun installing Alliminium panels for the openings in the gearbox tunnel, and starting on the dashboard:

As you can see, a lot of work has been done, and a lot is left.
I'm whating for some parts from SummitRacing.com, such as radiator, Fuelcell, fuelpump system and so on.

Hopefully I will make the deadline...
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tunnel looks great and will probably add a little rigidity. Why the hood scoop?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
The tunnel looks great and will probably add a little rigidity. Why the hood scoop?
Ventilation, race = no A/C

Very impressive man, I have only ever seen one other LS1 swapped Skyline. Yours looks like it is turning out to be a monster!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Can op update the post with pix ? Going to be doing this in the next month or so I have a rhd r32 and a complete donor ls1 trans am all ready to roll

Quick Reply: Skyline R32 LS3 - Build Thread